Victoria Reports 2015

Nobody??... oak bay??... there might be some fish there. I heard that from somebody recently...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Been out on the flats Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday this week. Fishing was great Sunday, boated three over 20 and kept one smaller for the bbq(all hatchery) in 3 hrs missed or released 4/5 others. Monday more of the same with numbers but nothing over 12ish. Wednesday out 6 hrs scraped up one around 15, two missed. Last night out 2-dark got one small hatchery bleeder as we pulled up to leave, a number of boats out but never saw a net.

Looks like the numbers from earlier in the week have moved on. I've never seen a bite as hot as Sunday on the flats. Been using moon jelly flasher with purple/white coho killer and same flasher with skinny blue 4" squirt.

Sunday was good, Wednesday there was a good bite early (I missed it)
last couple days sloooow.
full moons, big tides not usually the best.

I had a young fella (10) visiting from New Zealand out today.

I went after some Pinks to try and ensure some steady action, and action we had. so many fish played I lost count. And what a time he had. [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435966015.563555.jpg

left esquimalt at 7 out to Constance but tide kept pushing us off the bank. After 3 pinks we came back to Clover Pt and trolled over to OB flats where found 2 small springs and 1 more pink. Left there at 1:00, did a pass at Breakwater but nada. Finally bought a Sitka spoon that caught a couple pinks and probably would have caught more fish had I noticed the hook fell off and was dragging it around for a while. Oh wait maybe it was a big slab that busted it off when it hit. Lets say that

Strange I had the same thing happen on one of my Stitka's on Tuesday. Not sure when the hook came off just noticed it during a bait check, my buddy had lost a fish earlier on that rod, but didn't notice at the time.. Love the spoon but maybe it would be wise to check how the hooks attached.

Strange I had the same thing happen on one of my Stitka's on Tuesday. Not sure when the hook came off just noticed it during a bait check, my buddy had lost a fish earlier on that rod, but didn't notice at the time.. Love the spoon but maybe it would be wise to check how the hooks attached.

Well that's no good about the hooks. They are #3 mustad ss siwash. There is always the chance that the open eye isn't closed enough. Or a big fish bent or snapped the eye open. A big fish can bend those hooks despite their good quality.

On a positive note, I got out before the kids got up this morning and got a 23lb white off the flagpole. In shallow with the birds. Was caught on a dummy flasher setup with a herring spoon that I've been working on. What a blast with no flasher on the line. image.jpg

Stainless steel open-eye Siwash hooks are notorious for breaking at the eye.

It happens when you crimp them......and you won' t see it with the naked eye. It's usually a microscopic hairline crack.

I have had spoons where I decided to change the hook much later after putting an SS Siwash on.

Now these hooks were NEVER even in water of any kind. They were spoons that later on I decided I wanted a lighter hook.

So I'd take the pliers and open up the eye to get them off the ring.

They fell apart in my hands with almost no leverage pressure............and always right on the eye bend.

I knew about crimping them too fast when I put them on.....and how one is supposed to use a singular one-movement steady crimp.

Didn't make any difference.

I stopped using stainless Siwash ages ago.

I've replaced old dulled out/filed out SS Siwash hooks on spoons........ones that had seen actual use.

They looked good......but when I replaced the hook they just fell apart easily on the eyelet as usual.

I'm sort of glad I didn't get fish on those because they would have snapped instantly when there was a fish on....which would have been a big disappointment.

Like I said...you can't tell by looking at the hook eye...they will look perfect even though they're cracked.

In my opinion they are often too heavy for a particular application anyway........they are the heaviest weight of hooks size for size. I rarely need hooks that heavy.

If you need a heavy hook ...great...but their are lighter options that work better.

The hooks below are all I ever use.......they are Mustad..(can't remember the number off the top of my head).

Never had one break at the eye. Never had one straighten out with a fish on. They come stock on TKO spoons.

Yes...they will rust a bit on exposed metal if you don't wash 'em off after fishing....but it's no big deal.

But they are lighter than stainless......so you can use a bigger hook without worrying about the weight messing up the spoon action.

You can get them up to 7/0.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,201
Last edited by a moderator:
Those look like Mustad 10848BLN Open Eye Siwash, sometimes called "Big Gun Siwash". If that is the case, I have been using them for a few years when i spincast off the beaches, changing over to them on all my crocs and spinners. They are nice and sharp hooks, they seem to hold fish really well also. I do find 1 out of 10 will break when closing the eye, but other than that I really like them and have been the best I have found so far.

I also like the Gamakatsu sickle siwash when I can find them, they are just it as common to find around here, harbour chandler in Nanaimo has them sometimes.

I also like the Gamakatsu sickle siwash when I can find them, they are just it as common to find around here, harbour chandler in Nanaimo has them sometimes.

These are the best hooks I've found.
expensive , but well worth it.:)

Broke the Skunk Today.

After fishing every day since last Saturday I finally got a fish in the bucket. Green glow flasher and Sitka spoon. I had almost given up on the Sitka spoon but was told how to fish it and I am now a believer. Caught in the Gap in oak bay. Only about 5 or 6 lbs but it will be great an the BBQ. Thanks to Scott for some info.

Attachments

• WP_20150705_010.jpg
    WP_20150705_010.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,343
After fishing every day since last Saturday I finally got a fish in the bucket. Green glow flasher and Sitka spoon. I had almost given up on the Sitka spoon but was told how to fish it and I am now a believer. Caught in the Gap in oak bay. Only about 5 or 6 lbs but it will be great an the BBQ. Thanks to Scott for some info.

Beautiful fish! You'll enjoy your dinner tonight!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Sepia sunday!
All fish hooked just north of brodie on the turn. Three small (one pink)were hooked in the eye, and the 13lber i thought at first was stolen by snuffy, then realized the sitka spoon was threaded through its belly.
Boat in reverse and pulled that log in sideways.
Purple onion + sitka got all the love.

Check that rod holder by our own Clint r !

Took a couple of prairie folk out off waterfront this morning from 8:00 - 11:00. Found only pinks off Esquiumalt and 2 double headers off Brotchie until it got too bouncy out there. Managed 5 pinks and lost a bunch. 80' on nasty boy coyote and green glow teaser worked ok.

Got out last night for a couple of hours on the flats. Would not have guessed it was so windy/lumpy until we got out there. Picked up a couple of pinks plus a smaller 8lb spring on the flats. Pinks were jumping around the tide line. Fair amount of bait on the sounder around Brodie Rock.

I don't recall ever having caught Pinks this close in before right on the flats -- pretty early it seems as well...

Andrew P spoons get them while their hot, they are expensive but very well made and work like crazy. Save on bait, with all the pinks around who needs bait. Another great Lure to add to the arsenal already

Back