Victoria Reports 2015

I just happened to have a perfect hook in my "box of crap" that was already attached to a swivel so I just attached it to the split ring.

Here's the link to Scott's photo: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?27397-Sand-Lance-Spoon/page9

PS: same spoon landed me a 22lb freight train on Tuesday night so they seem to like the extra motion so far.
I don't happen to have anything like that in my "box of crap". I think I'll go with a small split ring. Bending open eyed hooks is always a challenge. They either wont close properly, or they snap, or are maybe suspect. (Saw a thread somewhere else from Seafever who claims they nearly always have hairline cracks in them when you do this, although I think he did name a hook make you can do this with more confidently...can't remember the make though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO it's all in the way you squeeze them.
Squeeze in such a way that the open eye completes a circle rather than just squeezing from either side of the open eye.
If that makes sense.

This will make them close properly and not fatigue the metal by making it bend in just one spot.

Tips

attachment.php

Never had a hook eye failure due to bending it closed but I caution you on small split rings. I experimented with them a while ago and paid some price on the water.

Okay guys reports lets have them lol, from what i hear oakbay is a pink fest anyone getting big springs lately? Like as in the recent days? Lots of big fish at swiftsure supposedly heading our way lol

Went out around 5 off oak bay yesterday. Got caught in the current off trial and my kicker wasn't strong enough to push us back in. had carb flooding problems with my 305, and took a big wave from a freighter. Dodged a tug with a barge and got the main fired up enough to get closer to shore.. Had an hour cruise on the kicker back to the ramp. :(

View attachment 19385
One keeper today, flats, as usual and clown sandlance :)
I like the twitch with the 'Craven mod' thanks Scott!

Nice one. Ap Sandlance a la craven!

We saw you guys out there. Good looking canopy on the rig. New addition?

Got one about the same on the ap herring spoon. My had a blast on the little ones. Jasper (3.5) played an 8lb spring like a champ.

We were out Saturday morning also and lost a real slab about 20' from the boat on a jump. The fish had spooled me right to the end before that. High 20s, perhaps more....that's what keeps the lottery tickets flowing...

Yes saturday was a blast, went solo, lost a slab as well 6" from the net, and then shortly afterwards both of a double header, choosing the wrong rod of the two ( hard life :). in the end i took home a lil one for dinner. Short bite times , and full moons. Canopy looks pretty hilarious, but keeps that draining sun at bay.
Ap sandlance has really put my boxes of "oak bay" gear to shame....thanks for that!

Englishman:- below are the hooks I was talking about that I use.

It's the stainless hooks that have a tendency to hairline crack.

These are Mustad (but not stainless)......they come in 2/0 to 7/0.....

They are lighter than stainless......I've never had one bent out by a fish yet.......

attachment.php

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,165
I hit the breakwater at sunup this morning. Landed an 11 lb'er at 7, then a couple of pinks after that. Had two nice springs hooked about 10 minutes apart at around 10, but lost both trying to net them. Got too excited. Should have let them run and poop out more before trying to net them single handed. Also, I was trying longer leaders on the teasers today, about 7'. Seems to work pretty well, except the netting part... Others seemed to be doing well today too. Not as many pinks today. Lots of crap in the water.

Bad fishing day right from the get-go. Started up the main motor at the dock. "Knock, Knock" "Who's there" "Rod" "Rod who?" Con rod ready to let go. At least that's what I suspect. Will find out when do a tear down, but looks like my fishing season is done. Unless some one has a decent replacement for a 70 Evinrude. So putted out of Esquimalt Anglers on the kicker and stayed around McCauley and breakwater only for 2 lowly pinks. There were a few teener springs caught out front this morning.

One of the pinks we caught (male) had all these little white beebee size growths in the flesh. Dozens in this one and noticed a few in the flesh of a fish caught last week. They are solid but pop like zits when squeezed. Anyone know what these are?

Attachments

• white balls in fish.jpg
    white balls in fish.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 377
Ewe,,, i have no idea but a seal would be eatin that one I know that lol..

Not the toes,, the pink salmon lol..

Back