Victoria 2014 Reports

Bait was jumping all over the the bay yesterday morning off willows. Watched a seal throwing a salmon at the water level marker at the beach side entrance to the marina. Maybe a guy should be fishing fiddle reef and not the flats. We were just checking the traps but wished we brought the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I hear ya RS. It's a big let down reading all winter how it's going to be the best fishing of a lifetime... Then when it finally comes, it turns out to be one of the worst....oh well.

I tried Sunday and Monday no luck, Sunday was skunkerville and didn't see any nets out, Monday was puney hali's and a couple of rock fish. Bonus part was the sun and flat water and good company. I saw boats out just past albert head in the deep not sure how they did but both days was empty handed at the docks :( , I guess we're between runs so when it's on I hope I can find a parking spot and get out to fish. Good luck all keep the posts coming.

Now I don't feel so bad reading this thread after being skunked on the weekend in Sooke over three days. Not sure about you guys, but, this is the worst I have ever seen it. Their forecasting is sh*t.

Dont feel so bad. Even the regular Sooke guys are scratching up one here one there. Dont pay attention to what some of the guides in the sooke thread post. It truly can be missleading.

Its been almost a month since Ive seen what my old man and I refer to as "HAMMER TIME" When there are guys on all around and you dont even feel safe stepping away from your rod when you set it. I was expecting more of those days this year.

Maybe we will see the epic august fishing for our local springs turn on soon here!

-KK

It was "HAMMER TIME" for my boat tonight but its a good news bad news story. good news is 8 solid hits in about two hours fishing out of pedder. Batted 50%. Lost one I estimated as high teens to 20 while it did aerials behind the boat. Bad news is the rest were in the 10-13lbs range.

They are around its hit and miss though and it seems very few of the hatchery run are breaking 15lbs let alone 20.

That was part 2 of my double dip today I got skunked (not a sniff) in Sooke this am. Didn't see a net out and didnt hear of any on the radio either.

Yes on monday in Sooke I got into 6 chinook in the 8-13 range and then an 18 and 22 aswell. It was good but smalls like those dont count towards the run of fish I was expecting.

The 18 was hatch and the 22 wild.

Yes on monday in Sooke I got into 6 chinook in the 8-13 range and then an 18 and 22 aswell. It was good but smalls like those don't count towards the run of fish I was expecting.
The 18 was hatch and the 22 wild.

Lets not get carried away now....Yes Monday was good...everyone I know got fish at the Head to Secretary on Monday...very encouraging for sure BUT I think Karma-Kazi, the guides I know and friends who fish Sooke regularly from the Befords to Sheringham will tell you the last week or more has been DEAD for Springs over 15 pounds. Saturday and Sunday and Tuesday and Wednesday were DEAD for sure with only the odd small spring showing from the hundreds of boats who fished.The flats and waterfront much the same.
It's great getting reports from the guides, but it's in their nature and best interest to post positive on this site. Best to have a few friends who are guides to give you the inside scoop.
I give you the "Best in Years" story in the Times Colonist as an example and Island Outfitter quote in the story.
Maybe this will be the week

My son and and I accepted an invite to fish Fraser sox in the Gulf Islands out of Sidney. Totally dead out there. We have put in two long days and are going to save fuel today and tomorrow by not fishing! Lots of people are still saying that things are late but I am starting to lose hope on this season entirely.

Bait was jumping all over the the bay yesterday morning off willows. Watched a seal throwing a salmon at the water level marker at the beach side entrance to the marina. Maybe a guy should be fishing fiddle reef and not the flats. We were just checking the traps but wished we brought the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe jig off the fuel dock ,:p bait was thick in there yesterday morning.

Well it was slow on Sunday me and my Budz pulled a 33.2 lb out of the waterfront between MaCaully and Breahwater. going for the night bite tonight. Let you know how it went later!

Nice fish Poacher2.
I gave up on the waterfront, as it's been skunksville for me.

It sounded like sooke is pretty dead as well, but I figured my chances were slightly better there. If I got skunked again I was gonna hang up the rods for a while. We decided to hit Otter Point, as it seemed to be the best odds. Rolled in at about 630. Saw a small one netted shortly after that. In short order, my son was playing a real scrappy fish. We boated it and it was a beautiful 18#. It's been a while, a long while actually, we were high fiving.
We put the gear back down, and 20 mins later, we hooked into it's identical brother. They were 1/2 a pound apart. We were happy. Saw 4 or 5 other similar fish boated. From reading the reports today, it was dead every where else, so we were lucky. It certainly wasn't hot, but, we are happy.
Saw a fellow forum member at the ramp, I'm curious as to how he did?

Rockdog I'm glad that you found a few fish! I guess we missed that early bite as we passed Otter and motored further west. Made contact with a solid fish later but lost it. Found some sockeye which was an OK consolation (they seem to finally have arrived, not huge numbers yet but quite a few folks had a couple each at the dock) . Haven't fished Victoria in over a month and with the sockeye showing up might keep me heading to Sooke.

Do sockeye ever show around Victoria in any numbers?
Four years ago I found some near the yellow pilot buoy but that only happened once.

After a month away from fishing. Fished 9-12 solo. Brochie to flag and back. Skunksville. In fact not sure if any of the 20-30 boats got anything.

There was a fish off between nogs needlefish and Andrew p's spoon. both failed haha

image.jpg

JL

From outfitter's report yesterday...

VICTORIA – Fishing has been VERY, VERY, SLOWoff Victoria. Constance Bank was the best spot this week whe the currents weren’t too strong. Anglers were finding a few decent fish in the 9-15lb range. The better springs that were getting caught were close to the bottom and biting most frequently on the tide change. Closer in, the salmon fishing remains VERY, VERY SLOW and the vast majority of boats are catching nothing. A few springs were caught between Macaulay Point and Clover Point. John Hurley was the hot angler on Saturday, landing a 23 lb 14 oz spring and a 14 lb 12 oz spring. Most fish were out a bit from shore and between 50 to 80 feet on the downrigger. The salmon seem to be passing through and not stopping to feed for a few days.

Back