Victoria 2014 Reports

Launched at pedder this afternoon (derby gong show) and headed west. On my way I saw a couple bent rods so I dropped the gear before I planned. Great move as I quickly bonked a 14lb and 20lb spring and a 26 pound halibut. CRAZY!

I dropped a rod, fish on, dropped it again, fish on. Same thing one more time. After the halibut I trolled the same area for about 3 hours with not much else. Two long line releases that didnt feel big and a 10lbr released at the boat.

DFO was at the ramp when I launched, creel lady was there when I returned. She told me lots of skunks so it sounds like I got lucky!

THANK YOU to the guys who were hooked up when I was running without ya I would have blasted right past.

GDW, you definitely got lucky finding them! Sounds great.

I fished with a buddy, our two sons and my dad from 3-8pm around pedder and not a bite. Got back to Esq Anglers and felt a tad better about the skunking after talking to the creel survey guy and learning that out of the last 26 boats to come in....there was only 2 chinook to show. On the bright side they were around 25 lbs each.... That is a poor ratio...

Your right Andrew I'm probably the luckiest angler out there. So many times this year I've hooked up first pass and then got not much after that. Here's a picture from yesterday.

Few Slabs.jpg

26lb hali, 20 and 14lb springs. Funny thing is I targetted hali a couple times before my recent vacation so I could put on a big feed for all my relatives but had to settle for salmon after I had no luck. First day back and BAM a nice halibut targetting salmon.

Technically I think I was in area 20 yesterday but I wouldn't say I was fishing Sooke.

Does anyone know when the esquimalt anglers derby is?

Wow GDW, talk about right spot at the right time. The fishing is a real grind everywhere right now.....

I was told by a fellow angler that the esq anglers derby is this coming weekend..... Im thinking a small sole will win it! lol

image.jpg

After one too many **** poor attempts at fishing the waterfront.
We decided to head out fer flat cod in 300'
Was beauty out,and didn't have to listen to the kicker once:)

Here's a report!

I saw somebody do the ice bucket challenge on the dock at esquimalt last night. I'm hoping he links the video! If he does I'll also accept the challenge and I'll be calling out a forum member or two!

As for fishing - meh it was slow-ish but flat calm and the fish i did hook i could see 20ft down which was fun.

So my seal encounters this year have been well documented and yesterday I fished near a family who was teaching the pup to hunt. WELL the hunter soon became the HUNTED as the little pup got too curious and felt the sting of my lure!

I did not let the little guy off easy I wanted my gear back as snuffy jnr and family have taken enough from me this year. Last time i hooked a pup he let me help him free but this guy didnt want anything to do with me or the boat. He whirled and twirled more then a coho and ended up wrecking the lure anyways. Oh well I don't think he will be bothering me again and hopefully a few other seals in the neighbourhood got the message! It sure was cute though.

Here's a report!

I saw somebody do the ice bucket challenge on the dock at esquimalt last night. I'm hoping he links the video! If he does I'll also accept the challenge and I'll be calling out a forum member or two!

As for fishing - meh it was slow-ish but flat calm and the fish i did hook i could see 20ft down which was fun.

So my seal encounters this year have been well documented and yesterday I fished near a family who was teaching the pup to hunt. WELL the hunter soon became the HUNTED as the little pup got too curious and felt the sting of my lure!

I did not let the little guy off easy I wanted my gear back as snuffy jnr and family have taken enough from me this year. Last time i hooked a pup he let me help him free but this guy didnt want anything to do with me or the boat. He whirled and twirled more then a coho and ended up wrecking the lure anyways. Oh well I don't think he will be bothering me again and hopefully a few other seals in the neighbourhood got the message! It sure was cute though.

Well, you may just see some nut post up a video this eve then....;)

Here's a report!

Alright GDW, you are up to bat! I should have just challenged you standing right there...good volunteering anyways!

I feel a bit bad highjacking the thread here......but come on guys, let's see some damn reports! I will be out Friday first light, saturday night bite and then allllll day Esquimalt Anglers Derby Sunday and will report my findings.

Oh yeah, and it seems that the bucket off the dock either blew into the water or someone ripped it off...

[IXC3AGSm_0U] http://youtu.be/IXC3AGSm_0U

Fished 9-1200 ish. Choose a tack from the gravel pit to William head. It was a foggy gale and I could just keep the nose of the boat into the teeth of the wind. Sounded nothing on sonar. Nothing. No bait no fish. Caught the same. Had the go pro down and it confirmed what the sonar read. Nothing. Three rods with bait plastic and metal. Bottom middle and top. Thank god hunting is around the corner.

JL

Back