Victoria 2014 Reports

yes Tom...the little tinny can! :)

Fished the waterfront - breakwater this morning and it was dead for us and everyone we spoke to.
Heard nothing from Constance.
Hey Sammy....how about a fishing report from you?
Haven't seen a fishing report from you forever or maybe you don't fish?

Was it right Brian ?
sure wasn't the day in Oakbay :(

Last time I trust that thing! no deadsville Scott Fished the bank with nothing but lings and a few pulls midwater , but nothing stuck. went inshore and fished the flagpole with no results either.

beemer

Hey Sammy....how about a fishing report from you?
Haven't seen a fishing report from you forever or maybe you don't fish?
You are partially right; I don't report much anymore,I just keep quiet and let things fall into place...perhaps you should come further west....;)

5:30am - 1pm. Esquimalt to clover and all in between. Not even a touch today.

Saw three fish netted that's all.

It's the Dead Sea out there right now, for my boat at least. Maybe others are enjoying success....

5:30am - 1pm. Esquimalt to clover and all in between. Not even a touch today.

Saw three fish netted that's all.

It's the Dead Sea out there right now, for my boat at least. Maybe others are enjoying success....

ya its pretty slow off Victoria . released one feeder spring in eight hours of trolling.

Trolled a couple hours between Trial and Clover and picked up a 20lb Halibut on Andrew's spoon
no other bites, only 1 other boat fishing.... deadsville is right :(

Went out to Constance for halibut from 7-11, one small chicken and thankfully only a couple dogfish. Moved into the waterfront and trolled from Clover to breakwater, naturally without a bite. Didn't see anyone catch a salmon at Constance or out front and several boats back at Flemming without salmon. One guy said he had one hali around 25. Noticed the harbour mouth area full of some kind of plankton or wormy sperm like stuff. Just thick with it. Don't know what that was (baby jellyfish??). Maybe it's had an affect on how poor the fishing has been in the area lately. Inside the breakwater at Flemming was covered with green algae.

God Damn Wind!!!

How come 0's and 5's at Gordon's and cook st has meant 15-20 at race this year? Too rough to drop the pick where I wanted this am. Flattened out later but id already given up on my hali spot.

3 springs on between 7 and 1. released a fat 8 lbr, fed a beautiful teener to a seal then lost one other that was probably similar to the first.

Ill be hitting Sooke next time - not that the reports there are any better.

Seems to me the huge masses of bait I saw last season are missing this year I hardly marked any today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 1 Hali and 2 dogs at border this afternoon. This morning for salmon though...1 bite. 2 miles to constance.

Fished Constance today from 10:45 - 2pm, hoping to make the tide change. Didn't think it would stand up much when it switched to the ebb, but it seems BWD was a little off about wind direction and speed and it got a little sloppy out there. Managed one small keeper Spring that actually hit near the surface - I was pulling up the line to change the gear around. Otherwise just the usual show of baby Lings - had to keep checking gear as those little buggers were always on. Bunch of other boats fishing, but most were gone as I was leaving. Would be nice to hear a few reports - I have a feeling they were around today but I just wasn't having any luck.

Another beautiful day! Too bad the wind had to kick up. Couple of keeper crabs off Willows too.

I'll add a report on these slow summer days. My wife and her friend were out hali fishing off Albert Head, and after a long hard day of releasing dog fish, they pulled in an 18lb hali. The interesting part was what was in the belly - it was stuffed with a small flatfish (flounder?) and a salmon head it must have taken off someone else's gear within the last couple days (they weren't using heads, and it was partially digested). Took a picture to share. All that in his belly and he was still hungry enough to go for the gear today. IMG_20140804_162408.jpg

Neat pic Alder. If it was a good size pink head (sorta looks like it) AND it was missing its other eye then that was my head! That would be crazy if the head I tossed over in a few hundred feet of water in front of Vic harbour (with an ebb pulling it towards Albert head) ended up in your fish!

I think more likely it was somebody's crab bait from the lagoon area but who knows. The halibut I've boated this year have all had empty stomachs I was wondering if they puke their guts while getting towed up. I've certainly found interesting things in Hali before but this year I can't remember anything but empty stomachs.

Out for another skunking today. I'm just about ready to hang it up for the season, sadly......

Back