Victoria 2014 Reports

Awesome day one the water...but totally skunked today in the derby...sounded like 25 fish got weight in.

Starting to think my boat has polarity problems...or it's me? Is it me? Bout ready to change it up...start doing thinks backwards, maybe rubbing bananas on myself or something.

Maybe read this again...View attachment 13693

Try purple gold head at 66 and write if front of Flemings in 120 to 140 of water go to middle of harbor. And go back to Flemings stay there and you will have get something your not doing anything wrong goodluck boomer i stay on that side and always have a hit or three some time not until 1230 am it's flooding so fish are moving in goodluck boomer ps I like kanegick and betsy flasher also blue head has been good too it's. Your. Turn have fun

Think a lot of boats got skunked in the Esquimalt derby, me included without a sniff all day, starting out front, moved to Albert head for a while and back to Fleming area til 1:00. I believe there were 20 some-odd fish weighed in

Got this message from a friend about the derby.

Derby was quite successful with more fish than one would expect from the poor fishing this summer. There were a total of 28 salmon entered - 21 Chinook, 4 sockeye and 3 coho.

Largest Chinook was 32 lb. 11 oz. caught by Cao Nguyen. The following are the top five fish:

1. Cao Nguyen 32 lb
2. Mark Turner 24 lb
3. Mike Salter 20 lb 15 oz
4. Then Nguyen 19 lb 12 oz
5. Liz Jatkowski 19 lb 9 oz

Last edited by a moderator:
It was indeed a fun derby despite the fact that our boat came up with the first skunking in the derby in the last 4 years. Saw a couple nice fish caught right beside us, which was a tad frustrating yet encouraging at the same time. We through everything in the box at them; chovies, teaser head herring, cut plug herring, spoons, etc. It sort of has me questioning my buddy's boat wiring, because it has been skunky this year...Fun times and good turn out. Cao definitely deserves the top prize as he is a dedicated waterfront angler.

Also went out Friday morning for a couple of hours before work and acrobatically 'released' a scrapper of a coho right behind the boat. This thing did at least 6 full acrobatic flips. I was really taking my time to ID it before either netting or gaff releasing but it was just one flip too many before I got the chance.

I took a buddy out for a beautiful after dinner bite on Saturday out to Pedder. No luck for us.

Took my girls out today and got out fished by a 4 year old. Gave her a choice of lures she picked blue with red stripe and it didnt take long to get hit.

I rig her up on my TLD15 light halibut reel so its a level wind perfect for kids.

The fish came at us so I reeled a bunch of line while I tried to pry her away from the DVD player to get her fish. When she was ready the rod went in the holder, I steady it and she reels. If required I pull the line for her wicked tuna style.

Worked out as we got the fish in. Only about 10 pounds and that was the only real hit of the day. Nice day on the water and that's about all we can ask for this year.

GDW,Sir, you're a quality dad; kudos to your girls!
:)

Rockdog, where is the report? That's not like you? I know you and the big guy fished!

Well, the 'big guy' and I went out this morning. We fished the break wall. Usually I move around a bit, but not this time. I stuck to the wall and ran the same tac over and over. There seemed to be lots of fish. I saw at least a dozen boats with 'fish on', most of them landed. Anyways, the persistence paid off. Out first hit was a very feisty 15 pounder. As per usual, as soon as it hit, I pulled it out of the rod holder, set the hook, then handed the rod over to my 8 year old, who expertly fought the fish. He yells at me until the rod is in his hand. It was pretty cool this time, because as you guys know, the wall tac can be crowded. So a few boats watched the fight, and when it was in the net, I heard a few boats yelling and cheering, it was pretty cool.
10 minutes later, we hit another. My 8 year old yelling for the rod again, so I hand it to him.....but he was too pooped from the last fish, and he couldn't keep the rod tip up, and it cost us a nice fish. It felt and ran a little stronger than the 15, so likely a high teener.
Beautiful day out there, and it felt great to get the monkey off our back...

How's that GnB?

Well, the 'big guy' and I went out this morning. We fished the break wall. Usually I move around a bit, but not this time. I stuck to the wall and ran the same tac over and over. There seemed to be lots of fish. I saw at least a dozen boats with 'fish on', most of them landed. Anyways, the persistence paid off. Out first hit was a very feisty 15 pounder. As per usual, as soon as it hit, I pulled it out of the rod holder, set the hook, then handed the rod over to my 8 year old, who expertly fought the fish. He yells at me until the rod is in his hand. It was pretty cool this time, because as you guys know, the wall tac can be crowded. So a few boats watched the fight, and when it was in the net, I heard a few boats yelling and cheering, it was pretty cool.
10 minutes later, we hit another. My 8 year old yelling for the rod again, so I hand it to him.....but he was too pooped from the last fish, and he couldn't keep the rod tip up, and it cost us a nice fish. It felt and ran a little stronger than the 15, so likely a high teener.
Beautiful day out there, and it felt great to get the monkey off our back...

How's that GnB?

Did you hit him while he was playing the fish?

Beauty day on the water. One in the box a tad over 15. Lots of shyte in the water, lots of cleaning the gear.

Lots of crap in the water again today. Hard to keep the gear clean, was lumpy too. Some fish being caught, not stellar but.... One in the box for moi. Tomorrow's another day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8yjmZ2gJnQ

Was out at the wall for 4 hrs yesterday,through the afternoon change.had the gopro down to see all the looky-lou's that i thought must have been down there not liking my offerings.after tuesdays solid day of watching other boats catch all around us,i figured my metal and plastic had no appeal.so i actually trolled bait,wire heads,secret grandpa recipy brine..the works
Reviewed 4hrs of footage,and this is all that there was to show.looks like the downrigger braid t-boned it,and it didnt even notice my chove spinning behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chalk it up to a crappy year on the south JDF.
as mentioned on another thread I believe the vast majority went down the inside
with most Georgia straight locations having a very good year.

worked early this morning along Dallas Road...saw a few boats trolling tight to the breakwater wall...looked like very cool weather out there.

Back