Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone hit Oak bay flats in the last while, or out to Constance. I'll be heading out for a quick fish tonight. Jonesing bad....

I'm heading out tomorrow, it's been too long. Every time Ive had a chance for what seems like forever I've been foiled by bad weather. Looking good for tomorrow, hoping for a run-in with some feisty Coho. :)

Will be interested in how you make out Nauti. I'll give a report tomorrow as to what I find.

Out at Constance with my wife yesterday. Fished 11 till 5 with limited results. 2 coho around the 4lb mark released and lots of shakers. Both on bait. Metal and plastic attracted kelp only. Nothing came home.

Hit the OB flats and fished with the tides out past Trial and worked alongside the tidelines heading towards Constance. Tonnes of crap in the water due to the recent storms. One undersize ling and lots of weeds caught while dodging loose kelp.

Fished today Clover Point/Brotchie from 9:30 till 2PM today. We hooked about 8 Coho, we lost most. LOL We kept two, one about 5, one about 9 pounds. Lots of little immature fish too, one was a Spring, the rest were Coho.

It was be no means super action packed like the Sooke Coho reports but still a good day on the water.

Went out on the Flats this morning, got one hatchery winter spring. Eggs inside were pretty developed, anyone know why that is? Is it normal?

Went out on the Flats this morning, got one hatchery winter spring. Eggs inside were pretty developed, anyone know why that is? Is it normal?
If it's a Spring? it could be a small spawner...

Out again today. Picked up one hatch, one unmarked around Brotchie. That was it for bites for us too, a lot slower than the other day. That being said, others at the launch had done better than we, so maybe we just sucked today. LOL

Back at it next weekend.

Late report...New personal best in two ways for this fisherman last weekend.

Serious late night bite Friday night...10:52pm 8lb 10oz.......baby boy!! Amazingly smooth home birth; mom and baby doing great!

To top that off, my wife actually encouraged me to take our first born out on the boat in order to get some piece and quiet around the house. I didn't argue and my cousin and I took out our 2 year olds out to look for coho on the tide lines Sunday midday. We lost one heavy hitter(glow hoochy in jughead)and no other bites but despite that it was a very successful mission with no crying or whining at all. They had a blast! So, all in all a great weekend; new son and fishing partner!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381451867.479697.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1381451885.052762.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1381451958.724015.jpg

Congrats A.P.

Been almost a month and a half but made it out. Decided to power up off of church rock for coho. We weren't disappointed. 7 fish in just over an hour Got our limit of 4 hatch/wild and decided to move to constance for feeders. Only caught one fish there. A coho the biggest of the day. Glad to see him swim away.

JL

Anyone getting coho out near constance or straight off the Vic waterfront, or is it more reliable for coho on the other side of Race Rocks?

All i can say is that west of race is a sure thing. Haven't been out front and constance I hear it's hit and miss. Or in my case miss.

My two cents as it were

JL.

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems most coho and springs for that matter hit race rocks and stay out in the shipping lanes or head to the port angeles side, only a small trickle come in close to the Victoria side. The yellow can or the off the edges of constance are a decent bet for coho but the mass of fish will be on the west side of race.

the area between the PA buoy and the RAYCON on the Canadian side are always hot areas for Coho. depths range from about 450-550 and most folks are trolling at between 30 and 45'. of late, with all of this rain, the Coho seem to have zoomed past this area of the strait and many of the local rivers are now plugged with Coho looking for a spot to spawn. we did quite well hugging the international line trolling between these two buoys. you might give it a shot, not that far off shore after all. just pick your weather day and make the run. takes me about 20 minutes from the marina in port angeles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back