Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished the flats and off clover point on Sunday.......10 to 2 .....no luck.
Cloud

Ditto, same results.
also fished Constance trolled from the far south west corner all the way to the east drop off.
No Springs and no bait to be found anywhere ?? :(

Nice one Andrew. We were out with our whole family today from 11-2:30 for hali around Albert head, but nothing doing. One dog fish and that was it for us. But at least it was flat, dry, and not too chilly. I'm wondering if hali hibernate or take some kind of break in the Fall, as this was our 2nd trip in the last month with nothing to show for it. Then I see guys like JL and his 30lb'er, so guess we just have to keep at it. Any tips for fall hali are most welcome!

halibut in the strait are transients stopping off for something to eat on their way to AK and spawning. I am sure an occasional fish hangs back but the majority have left the strait some time ago. spawning takes place in 900-1000' of water up AK way so a strong motivator for these fish to pack on some weight and get going.

Remember the Hali we now target are no spawners. It was once true but no longer. We are now relegated to catching the feeders and they are resident all year. With restrictions we need to change out tactics.

...go north...where halibut are measured in tonnage.....

halibut in the strait are transients stopping off for something to eat on their way to AK and spawning. I am sure an occasional fish hangs back but the majority have left the strait some time ago. spawning takes place in 900-1000' of water up AK way so a strong motivator for these fish to pack on some weight and get going.

So am I to believe the tiny 4 inch halibut I sometimes catch have travelled from
Alaska to Sidney? That's a long way for a tiny fish.

I think I read they spread around with the currents - so maybe that makes sense.

the fertilized eggs free drift from AK west following the pacific currents. down the coast of Russia, China, Japan until the currents head back east. most of these fish hit the Oregon coast first and then work their way north. so yes, halibut are true world travelers. hard to believe but that is what the slim research indicates is going on with halibut.

the fertilized eggs free drift from AK west following the pacific currents. down the coast of Russia, China, Japan until the currents head back east. most of these fish hit the Oregon coast first and then work their way north. so yes, halibut are true world travelers. hard to believe but that is what the slim research indicates is going on with halibut.
I don't think all halibut are spawned in Alaska. Seems to me I read a paper by the IPHC that listed several spawning sites. Has there been new research? I find it hard to believe all halibut travel all thge way to Alaska to spawn?

We got two Hali yesterday at sunrise. in close @ 105 ft deep as it was a fast morning... 2knt in the straight. 35 and 20ish. tried for another 2 hours for our third but nothing. both on salmon belly. Tried for winters after but no hits. The Hali are still around the South Island for sure, unless we got the last two :)

I don't think all halibut are spawned in Alaska. Seems to me I read a paper by the IPHC that listed several spawning sites. Has there been new research? I find it hard to believe all halibut travel all thge way to Alaska to spawn?

of course not, there are exceptions. just as we know that not 100% of salmon return to their natal streams there is likely variation with the halibut population. probably also has to do with maturity and readiness to spawn. you folks had a very wise slot limit this past season to help protect those halibut who have reached the age where spawning is very likely, hopefully that will continue.

Sooooo in other news........

Any fish out there? Winter springs on the bank??? I haven't been out for awhile. Now is that time of year when those winters up to 13lb move thru.

JL

you folks had a very wise slot limit this past season to help protect those halibut who have reached the age where spawning is very likely, hopefully that will continue.

the slot limit had nothing to do with resource protection!!!!!

please read into this more before you sell something which is not what it is!!!

the slot limit had nothing to do with resource protection!!!!!

please read into this more before you sell something which is not what it is!!!

If not taking large female halibut is not resource protection, what is it.
yes...there is a quota system, which is also resource protection
Lets say sport fishermen take a large number of large females within their quota, will this not impact the future of the resource?
By not taking large females, we have stayed within quota and extended the season....a win win if you ask me.
Please clarify your posting as I must have missed something, or misunderstood.

How many big females did you release this year during your commercial fishery foggy eyes? Should we ask to see the third party 10% monitored video?

We did our part this year. How about you guys?

I have been a sport fisherman all my life!
Not l sport fishing guide or commercial fisherman.
I am in favor of an extended halibut season for sport fishermen.
Am I to assume you are in favor of sport fishermen taking large females, even if it means a short season?
I was able to fill my 6 halibut quota and that of several fishing partners with no trouble this year and only had 2 halibut over the slot and was able to release them both.
The part I liked the best was completing my limit in October.
AND I do all my halibut fishing from Victoria to Sooke. Do not fish halibut on Swiftsure.

Where did I say I was in favor of the sports fishing community taking larger females? Not once in my post. We did our part this year. Probably have to do it again next year to stay within our TAC. Now your family, relative, or whowever you represent on here will get to bang out the large females in their commercial enterprises next year and the year after and the year after............

Resource protection eh. All I am saying is go blow smoke up someone else's arse.

"Were did I say I was in favor of the sports fishing community taking larger females?"
So if I understand you correctly, you are in favor of the halibut size limit for sport fishermen.
That being the case, we agree.

I'm sorry folks for the side track of the thread but this kind of crap has to be taken to the curb so to speak. We can't let the commercial sector members hide behind the sportfishing label. We have to weed them out and call them on every single post. I am not anti commercial fishing but I am for honesty and integrity. Most of these members are none of the latter. They are coward's and sneeks.

I too apologize for this bantering BUT STRONGLY RESENT the personal attack!
I as a Sport Fisherman thru and thru. I have friends who are fishing guides but NOT ONE friend or relative who is a commercial fisherman.
Just because I hold a different opinion to Sculpin makes me as he describes it "coward's and sneeks."
You are welcome to your opinion Sculpin, but please do not resort to personal attacks to those who's opinions you do not share.

NO worries fogged in,

That's the SFBC peanut gallery tactic. While I don't agree with pretty much anything you said, the tactic of people calling others commies or trolls or in this case "cowards and sneaks" because they don't like their opinion is ********!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back