Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krist, I was gonna take a day off this weekend but I guess I'll give her one more go tomorrow.

Sunday = mushroom picking.

It's a tough life we live here. Haha

Out tonight again and landed a 10lber in 45 minutes of fishing the young one wanted to go in the whole time we were out, just packing up the one side first and the other side went off.
Night bite for sure these days. Great to have the boat in the water for these short trips.

Blue Miracle brine from Wise-buys is killer.

Launched at Esquimalt Saturday A.m. fished the Breakwater until 7, lots of boats, no fish. Headed to Constance, hit a nice White Spring ( my fav) about 13 to 15, 2 more smaller springs, 8 # and smaller, released both. Lots of tiny springs, and a few coho up to 8 lbs? Tried anchovie on one side, coho killer on the other. First 3 fish where on coho killers, so switched to coho killers on both sides. Lots of action average depth 50 to 60 ft.
Stosh

Out in the fog Friday 9:30-11:30. Picked up 1 Spring 14lbs. Purple Haze short leader Black and White spoon. Flats, on the bottom 110 on the sounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two killer whales made a pass through Fleming beach today at 1:30 this afternoon. They circled through the marina and continued along the waterfront towards Oak Bay. Hopefully they ate lots of "snuffies."

Poor snuffie the seal. I personally haven't seen a seal touch a fishermen's salmon all summer and I've caught quite a few fish while surrounded by seals. I think there is enough fish out there for everyone this year nobody has to resort to thievery.

See how long that lasts they are usually hungry during the winter. Between the fog today and wind forcast tomorrow this weekend might be a write off.

It was actually quite nice out in the fog today, feeders are in early
and we went 3 for 3 on a 2 hour trip this afternoon.
June was a bad month for seals, lost 5 fish in a week to the furry bugger's

I'm nervous in the waterfront area in the fog. Oak bay is not so bad but traversing the waterfront isn't fun because its such a busy harbour. Would like to get out first thing tomorrow but I won't bother if its still socked in.

I wasn't dialed in on the fish until July I got a couple in June but maybe the seals were following your boat because mine wasnt hitting much. Your right about the feeders though lots up to 10lbs in the flats area last week but all the bait that was there seemed to have left. Maybe that's why they were hitting so hard the only food down there was lures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree to that, no bait showing today either...
get yourself a chartplotter( if you don't already have one )
although it doesn't help getting hit or running into something ,
it sure is nice to see where you are and really makes you more feel more confident.

Our family ventured out in the fog from Esq anglers today, wouldn't have gone without solid gps and newly installed lights. Only out for a short 2 1/2 hour hali attempt, pinned up and had first bite within first 20 minutes, a decent chicken, and then not much after that. Would have stayed longer if kids hockey season hadn't already started. A nice day on the water, doesn't look like we'll be so lucky tomorrow.

Poor snuffie the seal. I personally haven't seen a seal touch a fishermen's salmon all summer and I've caught quite a few fish while surrounded by seals. I think there is enough fish out there for everyone this year nobody has to resort to thievery.

See how long that lasts they are usually hungry during the winter. Between the fog today and wind forcast tomorrow this weekend might be a write off.

Wish I could say the same. I've been sealed this summer

Not a bad day. No fog on the run out but it did settle in for the run back. Nothing big today - back at the dock by 11 cleaning fish and listening to the thunder.

No keepers Saturday. Fished off the breakwater-clover point most of the morning. Fog most of the day, but, manageable and radar is certainly nice to have when vis is questionable. Anyway, I used anchovy all morning, nothing. Decided to switch it up and put on a coho killer at noon hour. Bang right away a wild coho (released with care). 3 more wilds all within an hour. One was north of 12 lbs and a spectacular fight. Now I know why they call them "coho killers". That lure was slaying them. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any hatch fish around, but, catching a large coho is a pretty special experience. The large one came out of the water a 100 feet behind the boat a couple of times...

Out Saturday with Andrew P. We started in tight looking for springs, but only found small coho and bottom fish. We noticed some bait balls out on the tide line and decided to give it a go. As we passed one bait ball, we took a scoop and kept about 2 dozen 3-5" herring. Before we could get the bait in a bucket, top rod with planer and small juggie/chovy goes off. AP played that fish and while it's close and I'm ready to net it, rod on rigger at 69' with flasher and juggie pops the pin. I jump on that rod and we enjoy the action of the double header landing both hatch coho. Lucky us! Not weighed but a safe estimate would be 6 and 10lb. Missed a hit on the third rod during the action. Rigged up the fresh herring after that and searched for the bait ball (birds lost it when we trolled through it). Caught a few more juvenile coho before finding the ball again. Trolled through again and watched at least 3 good size salmon bolting through the bait ball at high speed. So cool to see. Didn't hook up on this pass and decided to head in early. Great day on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back