Vancouver to Prince Rupert

Chuck,

If it was me I would bypass both Smiths and Rivers. Smiths has not had quality fishing in quite a few years, Rivers can produce some fish but it really is a timing thing, mid August if you are looking for the big ones. You will have a lot of company in Rivers.

Haki up to Purple Bluff is my favourite area to fish, there isn't as much pressure from lodges as there are only a couple in the Haki area and a hand full that run down from Shearwater. Most of the guys you will see in the area are staying on the boats and are self sufficient. Late July through early August is the only time I have been in this area, this year first week of August.

As for up to Milbanke and north I really have not spent much time up there. Again, depending on what you are looking for you should have fantastic fishing all up the coast.

For a more scenic and less commercial traffic start to your trip north, I'd recommend going up via Powell River - calm channel - Gillard Pass rather than the Campbell River/Seymour Narrows route. Beautiful country that way, just make sure your near a slack going by the Stuart island area.

Hambone, If I get caught going past Stuart on a flood or ebb, do I need to wait for a close to slack and not attempt running through at all??

Hambone, If I get caught going past Stuart on a flood or ebb, do I need to wait for a close to slack and not attempt running through at all??

You can go through at any stage of the tide. I worked on Stuart island and it's not uncommon for guide boats to travel through the rapids 4 times a day, on boats from open whalers to 35' Bertram's. For your own personal comfort, you might want to time it near a slack if it's intimidating. Also, the ebb runs north so if timing works out it will give you an extra boost.

There's no real trick to going through, just stay up on plane and correct for some of the swirls and boils if it's really running.

You can go through at any stage of the tide. I worked on Stuart island and it's not uncommon for guide boats to travel through the rapids 4 times a day, on boats from open whalers to 35' Bertram's. For your own personal comfort, you might want to time it near a slack if it's intimidating. Also, the ebb runs north so if timing works out it will give you an extra boost.

There's no real trick to going through, just stay up on plane and correct for some of the swirls and boils if it's really running.

Right on!! I have been through some nasty spots and did exactly as you mention, but I have never been through a tight spot like Stuart. Thanks for the heads up!!

Is it worth running up to Rupert that late in July for Springs? Possibly work the Skeena entrance area??

Have decided to leave Vancouver early Monday morning of the 25th to start this epic Journey, Holiday, Fishin trip, Adventure.. And can't wait to get er goin!!

Plan is to launch out of Vancouver and would like to get on the water at about 5am but not able to find a marina that is open that early. Any thoughts of a marina that I would be able to launch out of that early in the am??
Also will need to park truck and trailer at launch for the duration.

I have seen a graph of catches of 40lb+ Chinook caught at Langara & their supposed rivers of origin. There is a later (August) run of Kitsumkalim large Chinook. Save a few for me, Eric

I have seen a graph of catches of 40lb+ Chinook caught at Langara & their supposed rivers of origin. There is a later (August) run of Kitsumkalim large Chinook. Save a few for me, Eric

That will be no problem!! Catches will be C&R, only to keep bleeders or the odd smaller swimmer for supper.

Where can I find this graph?

Plan is to launch out of Vancouver and would like to get on the water at about 5am but not able to find a marina that is open that early. Any thoughts of a marina that I would be able to launch out of that early in the am??Also will need to park truck and trailer at launch for the duration.
Don't know of one open that early try Reed Point Marina for long term parking.

http://www.reedpoint.com/

An update: Mader back with bells on..

Hit the water in Vancouver early Monday morning July 25. (Vanier Park, that was an experience which I wouldn't really recommend) plan was to run up to Hardy that day. Ran up through Desolation, Stuart, Dent etc. and through Chancellor Channel into Johnstone Strait. The run through the inside was great then rolled into Johnstone on flood with 40 knt winds. That was a hair raising experience!! And don't have much hair to raise!! So ended up tying up for the night in Sayward. Since, have talked with a local and had a good look at the structure through there and now understand how and why it piles up. Next morning things where settled so took off to get up to Hardy for Fuel and across QC Strait.
Going across was and experience. Seas where calm with rollers and fairly heavy pea soup, I figured maybe a couple hundred meter vis. Radar is worth it's weight in gold in those conditions, worked great and got me across with no issues.
Fished Smith, Rivers then up to Hakai the first couple days. Lots of fish, beauty Coho to 17# and Springs to 20 ish. Then worked Spider, Cultus and Purple Bluff over the next few days. Again lots of beautiful sized bright Coho and smaller Springs. Great areas to fish. Hit Shearwater a couple times to Fuel up and have a well needed shower. That was great!
Went over to Milbanke. Know a couple guides there and kept in close contact. There was the odd 30+ Spring being hooked on chovies but far and few between. Again lots of Beautiful Coho. Dropped the traps in Blair Inlet for a soak for the day and got into some nice Prawns before heading over to Milbanke.
Wanted to get over to McInnis so had to wait for that opportunity, the next day winds and seas looked good so made the trek across. Many commies hittin hard and we got into some really nice fish but no big Springs. Hit those areas pretty hard.
Soon it was time to make our way back to civilization with much dismay!

Fished my way back and last afternoon hit Hakai and over to Rivers for the night working my way home. Figured early the next day if all good I would make the run from Rivers over to Hardy for fuel and straight on to Vancouver if the seas cooperated and they did. Mader from Rivers to Van. That was a long day!

Overall the trip was great. Stayed on the boat every night on the hook which I didn't think was going to happen but was comfortable and the weather cooperated. I will definatley be doing a similar trip in the future.

To all that added to the thread, pm's, discussions and phone calls. Without all that great experience and insight from others I wouldn't have had such enjoyable experience. Thanks!!

That's great, glad all went well and you made er back safe. How was your fuel estimation?

Sounds like a dream trip. Hope to do it myself in the next year or two. Thanks for the update.

That's great, glad all went well and you made er back safe. How was your fuel estimation?

Figured I'd burn in the ballpark of $3500.00 for the complete trip up to Rupert/Dundas, but I didn't end up going as far north as Rupert so total fuel cost was approx. $2200.00. If I would have run up to Rupert I'm sure it would have been close to the $3000.00 mark.

FYI, fuel in Hardy was 1.14ltr. which I thought was pretty decent considering. Didn't pay attention to fuel cost in Shearwater. Needed it so I bought it!! Not like there is a choice..

Sounds like a dream trip. Hope to do it myself in the next year or two. Thanks for the update.

Was a great experience and will be doing some kinda of a similar trip again. Would be good to be able to hook up with another boat and work the trip together.. I think that would be a real blast..

Was looking at doing the similar trip with my dad and boys next year. Wondering what motor was on the back of you boat? Just eye balling that fuel cost. 2200.0 looks good.

Was looking at doing the similar trip with my dad and boys next year. Wondering what motor was on the back of you boat? Just eye balling that fuel cost. 2200.0 looks good.

Twin 175 Etecs, most running was at 28ish kts. @ 4000 rpm and no shortage of running around. If we wanted to change it up we made the change.
Could probably reduce the cost for the amount of fuel used significantly if so desired..

Last edited:
Twin 175 Etecs, most running was at 28ish kts. @ 4000 rpm and no shortage of running around. If we wanted to change it up we made the change.
Could probably reduce the cost for the amount of fuel used significantly if so desired..

ah perfect my 300 etec will be right on Q. i can live with that fuel consumption.
thank you

Back