NORTH COAST PILGRIMAGE: PART I

Sharphooks

I just got La Boussole back to her home dock and the puppy back to her favorite beach after a long trip to the Promised Land, a trip that consumed almost a full month. I never thought I could last that long on the water in a confined space and cover the amount of territory I did. Let’s not discuss gas prices for the moment (or the quiet obscenity of burning as much of the stuff as I did to pull this trip off)
I’ll admit I took the voyage on as a challenge—-in retrospect, I’m thrilled to have pulled it off without incident. It was all about pacing oneself. Not rushing, but knowing when to rush to keep the proper pace.

I kept the boat off the rocks (just barely in some instances), all my propellers came home with same shiny flukes they had the day I left, I never had to make any wimpering noises over a VFH for outside assistance and miracle of miracles, I came home with the same 12 lb cannonball and downrigger clip I started off with. For a large portion of the trip, I rarely saw any other boats so I’d like to think I stayed safe due my (hard-earned) prudent mariner conduct

The weather in part allowed me to pull this trip off——last year....day after day of 30 knt blows and crappy weather coming in from the SE....this year.....the general trend was NW with the associated high pressure systems and clear weather, a boater’s delight. Flat water and some times no wind at all. Yes, I saw gale, but she was shy this year, and never stuck around long enough to cause fist fights.

These annual pilgrimages for me have always involved bringing a good book along.....a good book is like having rosary beads you can run laps around during all those nights on the hook. A few years ago The Golden Spruce imbued the trip with a certain magic, especially when boat camping with Hecate Strait outside my wheelhouse window. This year it was Susanna Clarke’s book “Piranesi”.

This from a book review:

“........A young man, Piranesi, (though that is not the name on his birth certificate, but a name given to him by the Other) lives in The House, a vast labyrinth of halls and corridors and staircases, filled with exquisite marble statues. Piranesi leads a simple life; he fishes, dries seaweed for soup and fuel, maps and memorizes the tides that at times course through The House, walks the halls in reverence, and keeps a journal, according to his own calendar, of what he observes and feels and comes to know.....”

When you’re alone on the water day after day in a stunningly beautiful place you find yourself hooked in to the harmonic vibrations of tide and rock. You become Piranesi in his House: you might not yet have weaved bits of shells and seaweed into your hair like he does in the book but you quietly succumb to a more primal mode, ushered in on the meditative lapping sounds of water massaging the chine of your boat. Even the guitar I brought with me , laid up against the hull in the forepeak, responded with musical textures as the waters percussed back and forth across the hidey-hole anchorages I use for protection on these trips. Deep bass sounds, with twangy treble overtones when a wavelet broke and scattered on a puff of wind

The exquisite marble statues in Piranesi’s world that watch the tides rise and fall in my world were the glorious hewn cliff faces and amazing rock formations that you see in the Central and North Coast waters of BC. I got inebriated on rock this trip——I couldn’t get enough of the rock formations I saw—-the advance and retreat of ice sheets during the Late Pleistocene left In its wake huge gobs of distorted granite and quartzite that resemble twisted melting gargoyles that plunge down into the breaking waves. At times you shake your head in wonderment at all the shapes and sizes and colors and geometric formations you see. The Staircase on Starfish Island is one of those places where you’re left wondering....what geomorphological conditions could possibly have left this in its path?
CA5203B5-9B33-4C75-8816-C063C15A71DA.jpeg

Then there are the rock faces of Raynor Point, just south of Cape Caution:

D313A6A1-DD9B-4601-A0D7-FF2944B3CEE9.jpeg

I resisted the urge to get off my boat and go hug those bizarre rock formations!

I launched out of P. Hardy in mid July with my daughter. She stuck with me for the first 10 days of the trip, flying back to Vancouver from Bella Bella.

Thank the Lord for all the sun we saw because she would have been pouty and blue if it rained. Most of the trip we spent in Hakai, kayaking and walking all those gorgeous beaches and tombolos, occasionally going out and fishing the tides.

The trail systems on Calvert Island are well worth exploring. You can get up high and see some amazing views on the Pacific side:

7680BA9B-B587-4AEF-B6BB-E04732663924.jpeg
The vegetation is all larger then life....skunk cabbage that might have been grown in a laboratory:

6C86200C-1C69-4003-B004-7E7873C55AEF.jpeg
There is a chain of beaches like beads on a necklace, each one so pristine you feel like you are the first person to have ever set foot on the Tahiti white sand
1678F38E-72A3-4021-8967-5DE2C8ADFFA9.jpeg
Unfortunately, the Russian Oligarchs have also just discovered Hakai

The ship in the background was pushing 70 or 80 meters long, party boat extraordinaire.
AB20B1EA-9C73-49F1-B7DD-79F2E9DA0738.jpeg

This one was owned by the same high-roller. It was reserved just for toys for the people on the party boat

7574FE70-75F6-4851-A06B-264D0A5A1231.jpeg
It had a heli pad and an internal loading bay to house a 30 foot cigarette style catcher boat powered with quad 350’s . We saw it returning from Rivers Inlet one afternoon, bristling with rods and downriggers and cool dudes in baseball caps sipping single malt and sucking on Cuban cigars .....what a whacky world we’ve left behind in our wake for our children’s inheritance ......

Last edited:
Back