Vancouver to Prince Rupert

Chuck

Last season ran up the Sunshine Coast to Desolation Sound, Homfray then into Toba. Was a good run, we did find some bumpy water for a couple hours. Fishin wasn't the greatest but was a great trip and exploring the area was awesome.
This season want to do a similar run up from Vancouver again but continue up to Campbell River and continue on to Port Hardy. Then over to Cape Caution, Duncanby, Hakai, Shearwater, Milbanke to Hartley then up PR. Fish all these areas, do some exploring then from PR run up to Dundas for a day or two. Have run up to Dundas from PR a few years ago.

Fuel stops are figured out. Still working on grocery stops along the way as required.
Boat is a 28' with twin 175HP. Lots of gear to safely make the run and have another great adventure.

Depending on what we run into expect to spend 10-12 days doing the trip.

Looking for any suggestions or ideas that I probably haven't thought of and would be beneficial to know. Not just a jump and go trip!!

Your experiences are greatly appreciated!!

It's been many years, but I've done the trip many times in a Commercial boat at 9-10 knots. 10-12 days may not be enough (too much to see, too many places to fish) See if you can find Sharphooks great reports/stories/pictorials about crossing from Hardy and fishing the Central Coast in the search function.

My wife and I did the same trip a few years ago in my 28.
We spent just over 3 weeks.
The only water of concern is the run from Hardy to Rivers.
Check the "West Sea Otter" conditions.
2 feet or less. Go early and on a flood tide.
The ebb can make it rough as it flows against the prevailing swell.
Staying well out (3 miles) as you round Cape Cation helps.

Too bad you're thinking of gobbling all that scenery up in just 10 - 12 days..... you could spend that amount of time just in Rivers and Hakai alone!

In a 28 footer you should be be safe and sound, especially with twins, but just in case there are others reading this who run smaller boats, Cape Caution is just one of the "water of concern" places.

I spent four hours in 4 meter seas in Milbanke last summer and there were moments I thought my boat (21 feet) would either pitch-pole or get swamped from behind in following seas

I only bring this up because I broke Rule No. 1 of marine travel in a small boat: being in a hurry

what do you think your fuel consumption will be for the whole trip?

what do you think your fuel consumption will be for the whole trip?

Since Chuck has never made that long of run I will do worst case scenario.
Cruising at 28 knots twins burn 25ltr/hr. each and the hardest I would run . So if I cruised the complete trip at 28 knots and a total of approx. 1750km.
Worst case. I'm estimating 2500 ltrs. return.

Last edited:
Too bad you're thinking of gobbling all that scenery up in just 10 - 12 days..... you could spend that amount of time just in Rivers and Hakai alone!

In a 28 footer you should be be safe and sound, especially with twins, but just in case there are others reading this who run smaller boats, Cape Caution is just one of the "water of concern" places.

I spent four hours in 4 meter seas in Milbanke last summer and there were moments I thought my boat (21 feet) would either pitch-pole or get swamped from behind in following seas

I only bring this up because I broke Rule No. 1 of marine travel in a small boat: being in a hurry

If I had it my way I would take several weeks to do such a trip but since time is somewhat of an issue we have to be aware. I would rather go when I can than possibly never get another opportunity. Better to have seen than none at all!!

SH, you mentioned Cape Caution to be one of the "waters of concern". What are the other waters of concern? ie. Johnston Strait.
In my experience all waters are of concern and give it the full respect it demands!!

Last edited:
Sorry, Chuck, I was thinking Hardy to Rupert---yes, Johnstone Strait would be another place that gets big wind and tide effects (and fog---radar would be really nice to have as I've seen pea soup in there with cruise ships playing hide and seek in the impenetrable billows of whiteness.....

And of course the Campbell River/Seymour Narrows goose neck

Yes, all waters are of concern---good point but having 28 feet of real estate under your feet definitely will play in your favor with the brief time frame you're thinking. Nevertheless, C. Caution in the early AM is usually the prudent move for a recreational boat traveling solo and better yet, go on a slack tide if possible---going past Slingsby on an ebb tide has been known to spill people's coffee....

Last edited:
Sorry, Chuck, I was thinking Hardy to Rupert---yes, Johnstone Strait would be another place that gets big wind and tide effects (and fog---radar would be really nice to have as I've seen pea soup in there with cruise ships playing hide and seek in the impenetrable billows of whiteness.....

And of course the Campbell River/Seymour Narrows goose neck

Yes, all waters are of concern---good point but having 28 feet of real estate under your feet definitely will play in your favor with the brief time frame you're thinking. Nevertheless, C. Caution in the early AM is usually the prudent move for a recreational boat traveling solo and better yet, go on a slack tide if possible---going past Slingsby on an ebb tide has been known to spill people's coffee....

Where is Slingsby at? Not able to find anything on it. Also, isn't there good fishin around Egg and Table Is?

Slingsby is just north of Bramham Island on the top side of Queen Charlotte Strait---it drains a HUGE body of water (Belize and Seymour Inlet, Nugent Sound etc) on an ebb tide ---

here's a Youtube vid of the Nakwakto Rapids -- shows the waters just above Slingsby and Schooner Channel going from the tranquility of a duck pond on a slack tide to Class IV white water on a big ebb---

When and where all that water dumps into QSC is not a good place to be, especially if it's blowing NW (which is pretty much how the wind blows most of the time in that neighborhood once the day warms up)

Never fished Egg or Table but I have seen Rivers guides fuss around the southern entrance to Smith Inlet when the fishing in Rivers is slow--Macnicoll Point maybe?

Last edited:
Once you get into the Central Coast never pass an opportunity to fill your tanks. It is not uncommon for a place to run out, especially if the commercial fleet is moving. Seen it at Bella Bella more than once, and it's not like I go there a lot. Fuel arrives by barge, weather, breakdowns, high demand and small supply. Full tank is a good thing. Also you used to be able to buy Salt Ice in bulk at the fish plant by the ferry dock on Campbell Island. Good deal.

Slingsby is just north of Bramham Island on the top side of Queen Charlotte Strait---it drains a HUGE body of water (Belize Inlet) on an ebb tide ---here's a Youtube vid of the Nakwakto Rapids -- shows Slingsby going from the tranquility of a duck pond on a slack tide to Class IV white water on a big ebb---

When and where all that water dumps into QSC is not a good place to be, especially if it's blowing NW (which is pretty much how the wind blows most of the time in that neighborhood once the day warms up)

Never fished Egg or Table but I have seen Rivers guides fuss around the southern entrance to Smith Inlet when the fishing in Rivers is slow

Found Slingsby Channel and the rapids. That is crazy power!! I understand why it's not good to go past there at certain times.

Thanks for the vid clip.

Once you get into the Central Coast never pass an opportunity to fill your tanks. It is not uncommon for a place to run out, especially if the commercial fleet is moving. Seen it at Bella Bella more than once, and it's not like I go there a lot. Fuel arrives by barge, weather, breakdowns, high demand and small supply. Full tank is a good thing. Also you used to be able to buy Salt Ice in bulk at the fish plant by the ferry dock on Campbell Island. Good deal.

Always pay close attention to where and when fuel is available.
When I had the boat built they installed biggest fuel cell that would fit. Just short of 700 litres. Not going anywhere without fuel, so definatley agree!

I don't have much to add to what Sharphooks has already said. I will elaborate a little on a few key spots.

Johnstone Strait: the Helmcken island stretch (near Sayward) can be absolutely awful with a decent northwest wind and ebb current. Very common to see the wind pick up here every summer afternoon. If you're there at the wrong time expect steep and deep waves that would be very uncomfortable even in your boat. Early in the day, near a slack or on the flood would be my recommendation.

Cape Caution: as others have mentioned, usually best early in the morning before the wind picks up. A northwest blow and ebb current near Jeannette islands (the mainland across from Port Hardy) and Slingsby will create some uncomfortable sea conditions. Before doing the crossing listen to the marine forecast for Queen Charlotte Sound and Central Coast from Mcinnis to Pine island. Then check what's actually happening by listening (or online) to West Sea Otter (ocean buoy) as well as Egg Island lighthouse. Thick fog is common in the summer.

Milkbanke Sound: you should be ok here as its a short little outside hop. You can always bypass the outside water by sneaking into Reid passage just east of Ivory Island.

For a more scenic and less commercial traffic start to your trip north, I'd recommend going up via Powell River - calm channel - Gillard Pass rather than the Campbell River/Seymour Narrows route. Beautiful country that way, just make sure your near a slack going by the Stuart island area.

The run from Hardy up past Rivers and into Fitz Hugh during the summer is generally a breeze. I have done this trip many, many times and headed that way again end of July. All of the info above is great info, West Sea Otter is the one to watch, anything over 2.5 on an ebb don't do it. Egg Island Light is great too. I listen to Scarlett Pt, Pine Island then Egg, gives you 25 miles of area. You want to get moving at first light, 4:30-5 am, gets you up into the sound in a couple hours.

If there is any swell I generally head out off of Pine Island and stay outside, I put a line straight to Clarke Pt on the tip of Calvert. If you are 3-5 miles off shore the ebb and the swell really do not effect the trip. You will be in a rolling swell off shore but won't get the standing crap off of Slingsby and Caution.

Not sure when your dates are but I will be up in that area end of July, leaving Hardy the 31st for 5 days. Shoot me and email if you are going to be around or need anything while in the Hardy area

Safe Travels

The run from Hardy up past Rivers and into Fitz Hugh during the summer is generally a breeze. I have done this trip many, many times and headed that way again end of July. All of the info above is great info, West Sea Otter is the one to watch, anything over 2.5 on an ebb don't do it. Egg Island Light is great too. I listen to Scarlett Pt, Pine Island then Egg, gives you 25 miles of area. You want to get moving at first light, 4:30-5 am, gets you up into the sound in a couple hours.

If there is any swell I generally head out off of Pine Island and stay outside, I put a line straight to Clarke Pt on the tip of Calvert. If you are 3-5 miles off shore the ebb and the swell really do not effect the trip. You will be in a rolling swell off shore but won't get the standing crap off of Slingsby and Caution.

Not sure when your dates are but I will be up in that area end of July, leaving Hardy the 31st for 5 days. Shoot me and email if you are going to be around or need anything while in the Hardy area

Safe Travels

Great info from everyone, potential to save a guy a lot of headaches and make for a much better trip! Thanks for that!!

BC, appreciate the offer. Thanks!

Bear Cove's info is golden. I only mentioned Slingsby thinking you might be on the north side of the Strait (as maybe with all that gas capacity, you wouldn't need to stop at Hardy)

If you're coming straight across from Hardy and heading for Fitz Hugh, as Bear Cove pointed out, Slingsby and Caution don't become an issue, especially in the early AM

But if you're on the north side of the Strait, then there is the Jeanette Light nozzle, Slingsby and Caution that should be given consideration if your transit time coincides with an afternoon ebb (after lunch the NW conveyor belt gets going and all three of those places can get "sporty" in those conditions)

Sharphooks,

You are so right, never thought about the idea of hugging the mainland on the day up. I have only done the trip leaving Hardy and try to avoid the mainland if weather is an issue.

Either way, you want to make that crossing early in the day to avoid the NW winds as they are a daily occurrence in the summer months. 2+ meter swell and an ebb tide, go outside Pine to miss and nasty tide.

Back