Vancouver Saltchuck?

As long as the harbour patrol and the guys with the 'Shipping' binoculars don't see you in a boat,then yes it's open.I've had many of good springs that I've had to chase down under the Lionsgate Bridge all the way in to Prospect point..LOTS of fun with all the boat traffic:D

Thanks Peahead for the info,I took my family out on Monday evening and we got eleven of twelve and lost tons of pinks.Loads of fun and consistent action.On tuesday {last night} I took a buddy out and we nailed 8 and lost 15-20 which raises the question, whay is the best hook rigging to keep these on the line???? I use mostly a siwash hook but also use double regular hooks and they still pop so easy.Anyone running with no flashers and light rods?

Anyone got some suggestions for the best crank baits for the mouth of the Cap. Had modest success with the ol' Buzz Bomb and Sting Zelda, but I see that some are using Blue Fox Vibrax with pink or silver.

Went out Tuesday off Sandheads for Pinks. Casting Gibbs Minnows. Loads of fun for my son and friends from Switzerland. Got into over 30 in 2.5 hours. The casting beats trolling for them and fight is way better on a light tackle.

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

Went out Tuesday off Sandheads for Pinks. Casting Gibbs Minnows. Loads of fun for my son and friends from Switzerland. Got into over 30 in 2.5 hours. The casting beats trolling for them and fight is way better on a light tackle.
Cool :)

I didn't get out on the water til 4pm today, fished til 6pm. Caught 2 just barely undersized and took a 23lber home.
This was along the west van shoreline.
Sept042009002.jpg

Sept042009008.jpg

I don't usually get myself in any of my fish pictures 'cause I go out by myself. This was taken by one of my neighbors at the marina.

I actually don't think there are many fish at the Cap yet. I really didn't mark much on the sounder. At least the water temp is cooling down and hopefully that will bring the fish in.
When does it normally get hot at the cap and can we expect more coho to arrive?
I might go out tomorrow but I don't know yet, I hate going out on the water on long weekends.

nice catch salmon smoker

I picked up a nice spring yesterday too. Fishing from the Pt Grey bellbuoy towards the harbour. Between 3:00 and 4:00 pm - I had my favorite gear out, the 6" tomic plug at 85 feet and blam I was rewarded with a 14 pound beauty.

I've been getting skunked alot lately and my kids already gave up on me. I called my boys right away and told them they just missed their first fish. A real beauty and just the perfect size for a kids frst salmon. Oh well I'm still trying my best to get them hooked on fishing and now that I've broken my jinx at least I feel like the monkey is off my back.

Morale has been low on my boat. The boys were ready last year and we went three days in a row - the water was perfect - so calm - the weather was perfect but we just could not get a fish. I did many of my past hotspots - thrasher, porlier, active pass, gulf islands, sandheads, T10, bowen,cap. west van... wow. We spent $400 on fuel just one day but we couldn't buy a fish. So when we finally got out this year optimism was high but after two more days of being skunked they told me that fishing was slipping off their list of favorite things to do and it was like a dagger to my heart. I felt like a failure. I have been fishing the coast all my life and have had my boat for 15 years now. I rarely got skunked and took many nice fish but all of a sudden I can't get my boys a fish. Even the charters were getting skunked on the days we were out but I must admit that I had lost alot of confidence too.

Putting some fresh fish slime into the boat does alot to restore one's confidence.

I got some really nice shots of the fish and the day but I don't know how to post the pictures so if anyone can provide any help it would be appreciated. I have the Canon camera and Canon software but I just couldn't figure how to cross the picture from one to the other. Computers are not one of my stronger points

OceanRanger

quote:Originally posted by OceanRanger

nice catch salmon smoker

I picked up a nice spring yesterday too. Fishing from the Pt Grey bellbuoy towards the harbour. Between 3:00 and 4:00 pm - I had my favorite gear out, the 6" tomic plug at 85 feet and blam I was rewarded with a 14 pound beauty.

I've been getting skunked alot lately and my kids already gave up on me. I called my boys right away and told them they just missed their first fish. A real beauty and just the perfect size for a kids frst salmon. Oh well I'm still trying my best to get them hooked on fishing and now that I've broken my jinx at least I feel like the monkey is off my back.

Morale has been low on my boat. The boys were ready last year and we went three days in a row - the water was perfect - so calm - the weather was perfect but we just could not get a fish. I did many of my past hotspots - thrasher, porlier, active pass, gulf islands, sandheads, T10, bowen,cap. west van... wow. We spent $400 on fuel just one day but we couldn't buy a fish. So when we finally got out this year optimism was high but after two more days of being skunked they told me that fishing was slipping off their list of favorite things to do and it was like a dagger to my heart. I felt like a failure. I have been fishing the coast all my life and have had my boat for 15 years now. I rarely got skunked and took many nice fish but all of a sudden I can't get my boys a fish. Even the charters were getting skunked on the days we were out but I must admit that I had lost alot of confidence too.

Putting some fresh fish slime into the boat does alot to restore one's confidence.

I got some really nice shots of the fish and the day but I don't know how to post the pictures so if anyone can provide any help it would be appreciated. I have the Canon camera and Canon software but I just couldn't figure how to cross the picture from one to the other. Computers are not one of my stronger points
OceanRanger

Don't get discouraged..the last 2 weeks haven't been the greatest..if anything it has been inconsistent for Springs--uncharacteristically slow for this time of year. 95% of all the Springs being taken are on Anchovies. Stick with what works and go for it...if most guides are struggling to put springers in the box, the fish aren't in the area---and for those who are hooking fish...it happens that the stars are aligning for them and the fish are biting their baits. There are plenty of springers to come..so hold the phone! [8D]

OceanRanger
Here's a link to posting pictures. I opened a photobucket account, load the pics to there and then transfer them to this site and I am by no means a computer whiz.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13298

Dont worry Oceanranger.
I had the same thing going on with my family. My wife said she was bad luck and would stop going with me. My boy said it was boring--- just going around in circles. At least last weekend that came to an end for all with a nice coho at the cap bay.

Sometimes its just the right plave at the right time. I know we are doing it right as its the same thing we have all been doing for years, just sometimes it frustrating not to get anything.

[8D][8D]

cheers

HPIM1274-1.jpg

nice catch salmon smoker

OceanRanger

Hey OceanRanger,

I might suggest taking your boys off the Sandheads on the Fraser for some Pinks. Great for the kids and fun on light tackle. Try casting some Gibbs Minnows with a spinning rod. On the high tide is best. Once you have had your fill you can even try for the currently elusive Spring.;)

:D

Wind sucks. Doesn't look like I can get out for one day this weekend. :(

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

I fished this morning. One word: HIDEOUS on the outside. At this rate, our season is over.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

I fished this morning. One word: HIDEOUS on the outside. At this rate, our season is over.

I try to stay positive and think that this was an excellent day to do some chores around the house and tie up some new leaders for the reall BIG one tomorrow. ;)

A good opportunity to clean the boat, get those stubborn blood stains off the deck. We will give it a try tomorrow despite the winds, which suck. So, FM, how was the water? Was the fishing 'HIDEOUS' or was the water 'HIDEOUS'?

quote:Originally posted by coriba

A good opportunity to clean the boat, get those stubborn blood stains off the deck. We will give it a try tomorrow despite the winds, which suck. So, FM, how was the water? Was the fishing 'HIDEOUS' or was the water 'HIDEOUS'?

Both!

Fished the flood at the bell boy Sunday from 2-6pm. Water wasn's too bad about a 1 ft chop. 3 boats fishing there. Had my buddy and his 2 kids with us. No keepers but lots of shakers out there. Also managed to hook a seagull that picked my anchovie off the water while clipping the line to the release. Luckily it spat the hook at about 40 ft in the air.

"It is much easier to criticize than to come up with a solution."

I hore that none of you were fishing Ambleside tonight because I would hate to think that any of you saw me crying.
I pulled a 10lb spring into the boat and kept it 'cause it was bleeding, if it wasn't I would have released it. I was just packing up to get home before dark, I had one rod and one downrigger just stowed in the cabin and I was about to bring up the other line when it released...one of those exciting bend your rod in half and bounce, bounce kinda releases!I grabbed the rod as the reel started screaming and played this fish for half an hour. I got it to the boat and led it into the net, went to lift it out of the water and.....SNAP! The handle broke on the net, the fish fell into the water and swam away.:( I do know that this was my biggest fish of the season and possibly the largest ever.
This is gonna be a tough one to get over.
Sept072009015.jpg

Back