Winter Chinook Sechelt Inlet

didnt you fish it a couple years ago, were they not marked the ones you were into?
We caught a few legal fish, bonked them, and then went and swam and drank beer. That was two years ago. Last year we were shut out and the fishing was sloooooooooow. There were, maybe, 5 other boats when we were there on hot weekends in June. It just seems silly to add more and more regulations to such an out of the way fishery that has very little pressure. This also didn't come along with the marking of all the hatchery fish we'd be catching. So we might now end up sifting through and potentially harming more fish (that very well could have been hatchery anyway).

We caught a few legal fish, bonked them, and then went and swam and drank beer. That was two years ago. Last year we were shut out and the fishing was sloooooooooow. There were, maybe, 5 other boats when we were there on hot weekends in June. It just seems silly to add more and more regulations to such an out of the way fishery that has very little pressure. This also didn't come along with the marking of all the hatchery fish we'd be catching. So we might now end up sifting through and potentially harming more fish (that very well could have been hatchery anyway).

yeah its silly

yeah its silly
If it was coast wide I'd be all for it. I just thought the whole idea was this place was so remote. And that's why it was the bone they threw us. Make it one marked and open it back up to the harbor. And mark all the damn fish!

Bute, Toba and Jervis were the bones, wild or marked. So, if they are going to push this back to one marked per day, that's super lame.

Last edited:
There’s no fish there anyways best to just ride the keyboard and complain until things open locally later on :)

I'd agree, mostly wilds we bonked up there the past years as well. I also don't think these are Fraser fish, that was the whole point of giving us the opening in the inlets.

Who cares anyway, everyone knows the inlets are empty haha

I'd agree, mostly wilds we bonked up there the past years as well. I also don't think these are Fraser fish, that was the whole point of giving us the opening in the inlets.

Who cares anyway, everyone knows the inlets are empty haha

they moved the goalposts it not longer just about avoiding fraser fish, many inlet wild stocks are now being bought up as well along with stocks like nanaimo, squamish ectt...ITs just BS they just want to close it all.

The Minister will do what the ENGO's want. Happened with herring, aquaculture and SRKW. Now wait for rec salmon decisions, MPA's and more

I notice they never mention the 100s of nets in the river as an issue. I've seen Suzuki himself on a charter boat. His dad was a fanatic sport fisherman as well.
Hypocrisy for donation dollars.

Suzuki foundation, raincoast and watershed watch are all coming after for us! Public Fishery Alliance is going to have a big social media campaign countering the misinformation that they're spreading. I'll be sure to share it once it's ready.

It's important to support the PFA and the SFI. Buy a membership or donate!

So I had the boat on the water for a few days didn’t make it up to the Back Eddy as family time interfered with fishing time but I did get a chance to check out 9 mile point.

I fished on it near the bottom and one rod mid column all around the point but no luck. Lots of seals hanging around and not many bait balls. The bait balls I did see were quite small.

I also dropped crab traps in spots that have been consistently productive for us and they came up blank. Only one area did produce and they were all females so they went back. I have never had such bad luck crabbing but I have also not crabbed the inlet this time of year. I did notice that a lot of the seaweed was gone and was told that the heat wave had killed it off. Wondering if the crabs change location significantly in the winter or maybe the heat wave has changed where they are? Any thoughts? As a side note I had good bait it was leftover salmon heads and guts from the summer fished everywhere form 40 to 110 feet deep.

Crabbing has been tough in the north end of the inlet the past few years. Not sure what changed? I try a couple times a year to see if things are improving, but finding it hard to find the motivation after about 10 consecutive skunkings. Like Marley... trying a range of depths... mostly 30-80 feet range. I would understand overfishing near porpoise bay with the number of traps, but don't see anyone else setting traps where we hang out up at the north end.

Question about salmon fishing in Sechelt Inlet -- at what point do the chinook come up from the bottom? I know "winter" fishing is as close to bottom as possible while keeping your cannonballs... but when do they transition up the water column? I noticed some algae blooms the past few days... will this inspire the bait and salmon to move upward?

Anyone able to share any tips for Chinook fishing in Sechelt Inlet in winter, and as winter transitions to spring between now and May?

Back