Vancouver island ice fishing

jbelliveau13

Hey I grew up on the island and was in Ontario for three years and fell in love with ice fishing. I’m back in the island now and wondering if anyone knows of any good ice fishing lakes that are accessible ? If so by a 4 wheel drive suv with winters on ? Or if the interior of bc is the next best thing for that. Thanks

Take a boat, typically never gets cold enough on the Island, and those that are high enough to develop ice are inaccessible unless you have a sled.

Only accessible lake I have seen with safe ice is Spectacle Lake on the Malahat, during a really cold winter a few years ago. As the saying goes though, no ice is safe ice.
I am ok with 4 inches of ice. I just googled spectacle and it does show skating in the winter is done there. So I would say ice fishing is ok. I’m actually super stoked about this.
https://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/spectacle/

I ice fished in Dease Lake when I lived there in 2005-06. Only time I ever did. Something about having a bon-fire in the middle of a lake at -30, a bottle of whiskey, a comfy chair and just hanging out for the day. Great memories.

Only accessible lake I have seen with safe ice is Spectacle Lake on the Malahat, during a really cold winter a few years ago. As the saying goes though, no ice is safe ice.
When I fished on Allen Lake in Dease lake the thickest I saw the ice was nearly 4'. So thick that we almost could not drill through it with our auger!

People drove their trucks out on the ice. At one point a guy brought a bulldozer out onto it to clear the snow for skating.

I would call that thickness pretty safe. :D

Surely if word of ice fishing on Vancouver Island got out it be a reputation killer.

high elevation lakes near logging roads can definitely freeze over enough to walk on, I've never bothered fishing them tho, the trout aren't big enough to make it worth the effort IMO

Going fishing today,................................................................................................................................... on a lake, ................................................................................................in my BOAT.

No ice required,

needed,

or wanted.

Ice free all winter please!

Back