Vancouver boat show

Thanks @Chasin' Dreams for the photos from the show.

I notice your comments on the flat bathtub hull of the Kingfishers and that's why you sold yours. I had the same experience with a 2825 Kingfisher and sold it. Nice boat to fish once you are fishing, tough boat to ride in when in any sea over 1 foot.

That Eaglecraft at the show is my actual boat and they are using her for their display for this year. She's 33'6"x11.0' with a 38' LOA.

That big North River was a 35' model. It's on their website now. Sold during the show. I thought that big NR was ok but the headroom in the salon was too short for me and the front and side windows were too small IMHO - giving the boat a strange look and a bit claustrophobic inside. I like the North Rivers overall, and I replaced my Kingfisher 2825 with a North River 2900SXL and have been extremely happy with the ride and the build. The 'big slam' that you are used to on the Kingfisher is never experienced on the North River.

(the white one at the show is a 2900SXL 29' - which is actually larger and longer than the Kingfisher 3025).
What did you put in for power?

Thanks for the info BCI! My buddy and I thought the Eaglecraft was a 33' and asked the guy in it that was repping it if it was and he told us it was 30'. Looked much bigger to us so that explains that lol. Guy sitting in it, repping it didn't seem like he wanted to talk much about the boat at all which surprised us as you would think he would be trying to sell them?? Maybe he was just tired I don't know. I really liked the boat. Very well built and thought out. Didn't see any poor welds on it either which was a pleasant change from others we saw at the show. Built like a tank while still being very fish-able and well thought out layout. It was both me and my buddies favorite at the show.

Ya the Kingfisher Hulls aren't West Coast hulls. Even if the water wasn't rough we hated fishing out of it honestly. Such low sides, didn't track well at all. Constantly trying to keep it on tack cause any wind would blow it off coarse. We were literally fishing off our knees in some bad weather off shore in Tofino in the one I had because it handled so poorly and we were scared we would fall off the boat cause the sides were so low and the wind and waves had come up. Also have a friend in Tofino that had a 2825 for a couple years up there and he got rid of it too. Good marketing they do though lol.

If you ever have the chance to look at that bigger North River again check out all the welds on it carefully. Some of them are scary bad like it shouldn't have left the facility like that IMO. Yes a lot of the structure welds were better than others but if someones buying a boat of that caliber for that much money every single weld should be perfect IMO. Thank you for the correction on it being a 35' not a 33' I'll edit my post above for that. Wonder if they measure from inside or outside the stern when calling it a 35'?

I wonder if there was someone temporarily covering for the regular rep and perhaps wasn't fully up to speed with the product. I'm really happy with what they build at Eaglecraft and I tried to balance it with rugged elegance. Easy to clean, but still looked good when spending time in it at the dock. That's a 3M wrap on the hull also, with some 3M self healing clear wrap doubled up in areas of potential abrasion (fenders, halibut anchor setup retrieval, etc). The wrap job was 1/3 the cost of a paint job, and should be hopefully easier to maintain / repair. Otherwise it just pulls off to a bare aluminum hull if needed.

Had the same experience with you with the Kingfisher in the wind, and even docking. Such a shallow hull bottom there is nothing in the water really... It behaved like an elephant on roller-skates.

I did not look too closely at the NR35 or the welds. As it was, the headroom was not enough for me inside to look too closely at the boat. Also in the 18,000 pound range I'd rather have diesel if at all possible (personal preference as I hate waiting at the gas bar to pump in 1500L gasoline when 750L high speed diesel will do :) ).

It was hull #1 for them in that 35 Voyager - hopefully the welds you saw will be repaired or addressed prior to delivery to the end customer. Disappointed to hear it wasn't perfect for the $699,000 price. Just looked at the specs on NR website and they show the 35 Voyager with a 35' centreline and a 39'1" LOA.

I wonder if there was someone temporarily covering for the regular rep and perhaps wasn't fully up to speed with the product. I'm really happy with what they build at Eaglecraft and I tried to balance it with rugged elegance. Easy to clean, but still looked good when spending time in it at the dock. That's a 3M wrap on the hull also, with some 3M self healing clear wrap doubled up in areas of potential abrasion (fenders, halibut anchor setup retrieval, etc). The wrap job was 1/3 the cost of a paint job, and should be hopefully easier to maintain / repair. Otherwise it just pulls off to a bare aluminum hull if needed.

Had the same experience with you with the Kingfisher in the wind, and even docking. Such a shallow hull bottom there is nothing in the water really... It behaved like an elephant on roller-skates.

I did not look too closely at the NR35 or the welds. As it was, the headroom was not enough for me inside to look too closely at the boat. Also in the 18,000 pound range I'd rather have diesel if at all possible (personal preference as I hate waiting at the gas bar to pump in 1500L gasoline when 750L high speed diesel will do :) ).

It was hull #1 for them in that 35 Voyager - hopefully the welds you saw will be repaired or addressed prior to delivery to the end customer. Disappointed to hear it wasn't perfect for the $699,000 price. Just looked at the specs on NR website and they show the 35 Voyager with a 35' centreline and a 39'1" LOA.
The 3M wrap is interesting for sure. Would love to hear your views on it further down the road too. How long have you had the boat for? Yes I'm getting some wear marks in the areas you comment about so the 3M may be an answer to that. I like that it still lets the aluminum look come through too. Better than paint in my opinion.

We also didn't spend much time on the NR 35' after looking at all the welds. Wow ya for $700K there should be no issues anywhere and yes for a 35' head room shouldn't be any issue at all you would think. Very good points about having a diesel rather than the gas for how much weight the boat is too.

You obviously have a lot of experience with boat builds which is a great asset to the forum. Thanks for sharing the knowledge and opinions with us.

1 x Volvo D6-400 for main power. 30mph cruise at 16gph at 3100 rpm. 180 gallons diesel capacity.

1 x Yamaha F25 EFI kicker with 15 gallons gasoline capacity.
Wow- Perfect!
Do you have a shower on your sterndrive? Apparently those drives get quite hot with the load put on by the D6. Ocean Sport has them on their drives I see.
A fellow Commander owner has the D6-370 and burnt out a drive due to that. Now he has a shower and a leg oil temperature gauge.

Wow- Perfect!
Do you have a shower on your sterndrive? Apparently those drives get quite hot with the load put on by the D6. Ocean Sport has them on their drives I see.
A fellow Commander owner has the D6-370 and burnt out a drive due to that. Now he has a shower and a leg oil temperature gauge.

I have a spare shower from my Ocean Sport days, never installed if anyone wants it. I did not install it on this outdrive because I did not want to cut into the outdrive housing for the shower plumbing.

This boat has the new DPH-D drive, and we've installed a Gear-Smart temp gauge on the dashboard so you can monitor the outdrive oil temp real time. Any change in normal operating temp and you can tell it needs service / attention. Additionally there is a new specific oil for the DPH-D 1.59(?) ratio which is supposed to hold up better.

And for Murphy's law we have a brand new outdrive sitting in storage ready to bolt on anytime.

Now check this math out;

30mph: D6-400 at 3100rpm is 16 gallons per hour, or 60 litres per hour. At $1.30 for diesel that's $78.00

30mph with twin F300s would be 30 gallons per hour gasoline, or 115 litres per hour. At $1.55 for gasoline that's $176 per hour at cruise.

Save $100 per hour in fuel costs with the diesel. Now one would expect to get at least 1000 hours out of the drive. But let's assume the worst and assume it blows up at 500 hours. At 500 hours of cruise time you will have saved (500 hours x $100 per hour = $50,000.00) $50,000 on fuel costs. A new outdrive is about $16,000 plus install (say $400 boat lift and $500 labour re/re) - $17000. So worst case scenario and it blows up in 500 hours you're still saving $33,000. If it makes it 1000 hours, you're saving $83,000.

I'll take those odds and see how she goes.

Last edited:
I like your math!

On my 30 Commander I run at 2700 burning 12.5 gph and doing 30 mph or can run at 2900 burning 14 gph doing 35 mph both result in the same mileage of 2.37 mpg.

I met a guy with a 30 Commander at the boat show and he has 2100 hours on his twin D4's and drives. No real issues at all.

Did you consider twins? They are sure nice for maneuvering and do get a bit better fuel economy at lower rpm but then you have twice the maintenance and oil and filters aren't cheap.
It would be nice to have all that room around a single for storage and engine maintenance.

Question does your new engine and drive use Zincs or Aluminium anodes? I have Zincs and they wear in about 8 months. Seems some are switching to aluminum for longer lasting and better for the environment.

I like your math!

On my 30 Commander I run at 2700 burning 12.5 gph and doing 30 mph or can run at 2900 burning 14 gph doing 35 mph both result in the same mileage of 2.37 mpg.

I met a guy with a 30 Commander at the boat show and he has 2100 hours on his twin D4's and drives. No real issues at all.

Did you consider twins? They are sure nice for maneuvering and do get a bit better fuel economy at lower rpm but then you have twice the maintenance and oil and filters aren't cheap.
It would be nice to have all that room around a single for storage and engine maintenance.

Question does your new engine and drive use Zincs or Aluminium anodes? I have Zincs and they wear in about 8 months. Seems some are switching to aluminum for longer lasting and better for the environment.

Single only for a few reasons;

Target was 28-3omph cruise. Anything faster than that here and you just find logs faster.

Altho maneuverability is better with twins, the following outweighed that;

Single for;
1. Ease of access and maintenance
2. Single engine mounts right in the bottom of the V, permitting a lower fishing deck for a) level walkway from fishing deck to salon and b) lower deck = 30" gunwales from cockpit sole to top of gunwale instead of 24" or so.

DPH drives live a long time behind D4s - that is for sure. Twin D4-300s would have been something but just didn't want the deck raised for twins.

Unsure on the zincs -- would be whatever they came with from Volvo. Any questions about that I would out to Reg @ Advanced Power in Campbell River. He sees more Volvo outdrives that anyone else I believe with all the commercial guys up there.

Last edited:
What was the size of the largest Silver Streak at the show? Was there anything over 25 feet from them?

Went to the boat show on Saturday. Harbour got me for a couple 2106 and trophy reels. Picked up a sonic hub 2 haven't heard much about these but I'll give it a go.

Resized_20190210_132414.jpeg

I really liked this rear station set up one of the silver streaks. Perfect. Notice the built in beer holder on the down rigger mount.

Resized_20190210_130831.jpeg

These Duckworths are really growing on me. Super solid feeling. Well organized. Good dash layout and interior storage. Wiring and components are super tidy. There is a 26 with a standup head at Parker that is beautiful.

BCI very nice. They have a used flybridge for sale that I've been staring at for months. I wonder if much will change around there since Kingfisher bought them.

How about that Tactical 40 at the floating show. Twin 627hp outboards. Big shockwave set up and crazy interior.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...t40-express-yacht-3090221/?refSource=standard listing

That "Tactical" is insane ,not enough screens in the console though.:) If "BCI" doesn't have one of these,he'll have to get one.

What was the size of the largest Silver Streak at the show? Was there anything over 25 feet from them?
Think it was a 26’ nitnat , it was at the inlet marine section and we stopped in and sat in it they are beautiful boats .. my wife has dreams of swiftsure 26’ XW , it is and extra foot wide on the beam.. welds look like butter.

I have a spare shower from my Ocean Sport days, never installed if anyone wants it. I did not install it on this outdrive because I did not want to cut into the outdrive housing for the shower plumbing.

This boat has the new DPH-D drive, and we've installed a Gear-Smart temp gauge on the dashboard so you can monitor the outdrive oil temp real time. Any change in normal operating temp and you can tell it needs service / attention. Additionally there is a new specific oil for the DPH-D 1.59(?) ratio which is supposed to hold up better.

And for Murphy's law we have a brand new outdrive sitting in storage ready to bolt on anytime.

Now check this math out;

30mph: D6-400 at 3100rpm is 16 gallons per hour, or 60 litres per hour. At $1.30 for diesel that's $78.00

30mph with twin F300s would be 30 gallons per hour gasoline, or 115 litres per hour. At $1.55 for gasoline that's $176 per hour at cruise.

Save $100 per hour in fuel costs with the diesel. Now one would expect to get at least 1000 hours out of the drive. But let's assume the worst and assume it blows up at 500 hours. At 500 hours of cruise time you will have saved (500 hours x $100 per hour = $50,000.00) $50,000 on fuel costs. A new outdrive is about $16,000 plus install (say $400 boat lift and $500 labour re/re) - $17000. So worst case scenario and it blows up in 500 hours you're still saving $33,000. If it makes it 1000 hours, you're saving $83,000.

I'll take those odds and see how she goes.

I’ll never complain about my fuel consumption ever again! You guys run for 200 hours and your fuel alone has cost as much as many boats that people fish out of. More than my boat and everything on it! Good for you guys.

Back