US boat purchase.( another issue)

Capt_Ed

Crew Member
So I'm going Wednesday to look at a boat in Tacoma. I have all the Global bank Transfer setup if we make a deal but am having an issue sorting out the insurance. The boat insurance should be able to get sorted out but the trailer is the issue. My agent says they can issue a permit from the border home but I have to get some kind of insurance from Tacoma to the border. Anyone have first hand experience with this . Thx

So I'm going Wednesday to look at a boat in Tacoma. I have all the Global bank Transfer setup if we make a deal but am having an issue sorting out the insurance. The boat insurance should be able to get sorted out but the trailer is the issue. My agent says they can issue a permit from the border home but I have to get some kind of insurance from Tacoma to the border. Anyone have first hand experience with this . Thx
Good luck. Gotta be ready for QC Strait pretty soon!

I think when I did this last year I had the ICBC binder, and the WA state permit as above, but I came to the conclusion that either the trailer was uninsured to the border, or that I was on the seller's trailer insurance (I kept his plates on the trailer).

I got a permit from city hall in Port Angeles
These services include renewing your tabs, obtaining new license ... boat registrations. ... Contact Us. Clallam County 223 East 4th Street Port Angeles, WA 98362

Update: Got it all figured out just waiting on boat insurance. Spent a couple hours on the boat yesterday, looking forward to getting it home and then up to the cove. It's a fun little boat , can't wait to set it up my way

Update: Got it all figured out just waiting on boat insurance. Spent a couple hours on the boat yesterday, looking forward to getting it home and then up to the cove. It's a fun little boat , can't wait to set it up my way
Fantastic news! I am sure you’re going to love it. It takes a while to get use to new boats and setting them up for fishing. Still not use to mine but getting better. 10 years of the hourston and any change hurts.

Well another issue is coming to light, I'm having conflicting information .once I get the boat and trailer home or to the island under the binder of insurance and go to actually transfer registration and insure the trailer, one ICBC agent says I need to get an inspection of the trailer and another says they just need to see the VIN. So what does the knowledge base here say?

I’ve bought a few boats in the US. Bringing a boat back from the US isn’t an issue. The trailer is the issue. All you need to do is prove the trailer meets Canadian standards. The trailer must have visible Serial Number with a model number on it. You must also have a letter from the trailer manufacturer stating that that trailer and model doesn’t have any recalls on the trailer. That’s it. The first time I didn’t have the letter the border patrol wouldn’t let me back to into canada without it.

I had to get an inspection done, same as an out of Province inspection. CT did it and as No Luck said it was a quick walk around checking lights and the Vin tag, if it’s a tandem they will check to see if both axles have brakes. That was a while back so things may have changed

Well another issue is coming to light, I'm having conflicting information .once I get the boat and trailer home or to the island under the binder of insurance and go to actually transfer registration and insure the trailer, one ICBC agent says I need to get an inspection of the trailer and another says they just need to see the VIN. So what does the knowledge base here say?
You have to get a RIV inspection.

My experience was it's absolutely critical you have the trailer VIN number visible, I think there's some other stuff on the sticker the VIN is on that's also important. Basically if the sticker is illegible or missing the inspection will be a problem.

I just had to have vin# verified at icbc, she walked out and checked in parking lot, took ot to Courtenay spring and weld for inspection and they told me it didn't need it,
2002 yr trailer brought up from states April 2016

Funny story getting it up here,
I go down to check boat out, agree on price, leave deposit on terms i come back down take it for sea trial, all goes well on that,
Seller says use my plate it stays on the vehicle its registered to down here in Washington, im like perfect, drive the 20 mins to border, and Canadian agent asks normal questions, i say bringing boat back, ok got your bill of sale papers? Yes here they are, he comes out walks around boat, and comes back goes in booth and asks who owns the trailer??
Im like technically I guess the seller still does as I haven't got to icbc yet to do that, he says ok, so seller owns it still? I say all documents for sale are there but ya his plate is still on it, agent says well plate expired 4yrs ago!!
WHAT!!
Agent was a heck of a nice guy, he says dont panic, your going to park over there, go in to office ,pay you tax and then go straight home (Courtenay!!) and to icbc to have it transferred over!!
He let me go, drove home technically with NO TRAILER INSURANCE! Lol

Enjoy the new to you boat!

Last edited:
I purchased a boat and trailer out of Portland and the vin on title and the Vin stamped on trailer was off by one digit . It was a mistake during construction of the trailer. This caused fairly large issues for me once back in Canada so make sure you have a good look.

Back