Record-breaking heat to hit Vancouver Island

IronNoggin

Record-breaking heat to hit Vancouver Island: Environment Canada​

Temperatures beyond 30 C expected for parts of the province

Hotter than usual weather is expected for most of Vancouver Island starting Friday.

A heat wave with daytime highs 10 to 15 C above the usual for this time of year is anticipated to hit the Island and most of B.C. and Alberta, according to a series of special weather statements issued Wednesday (May 10) afternoon. Friday through Tuesday residents can expect daytime temperatures to reach into the high 20s to low 30s with overnight temperatures in the low to mid-teens.

B.C. prepares for 1st heat wave of season; increase in wildfire, flood risks​

B.C. is in a “much better place” to prepare for extreme heat conditions after the deadly 2021 heat dome – but more can still be done – says a scientific director with the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

While this weekend isn’t forecasted to be a heat dome, special weather statements have been issued for most of the province for “unseasonably hot weather,” beginning Friday (May 12) and extending to Tuesday in coastal regions and Wednesday in the Interior.

Daytime temperatures are expected to reach 10 C to 15 C higher than the seasonal average, and Environment Canada’s warning preparedness meteorologist Armel Castellan said some regions could see temperatures 18 C above seasonal maximums.

Fire ban for B.C. coast coming Thursday​

Category 2 and 3 open fires will be prohibited in the Coastal Fire Centre area, with the exception of Haida Gwaii, with the ban in place until Oct. 31 or until the order is rescinded. The prohibition applies to all public and private land and residents are asked to check with local government authorities for any other restrictions before lighting any fire.

The Coastal Fire Centre covers the Coast Mountain Range from the U.S.-Canada border at Manning Park to Tweedsmuir South Provincial Park in the north, including the Sunshine Coast, the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and Haida Gwaii. Find a map at ow.ly/iMfQ50OpxXy.

Fireworks, sky lanterns, exploding targets, burn barrels and cages, and air curtain burners are also not allowed.

Consequences for breaking the ban run from a $1,150 to $100,000 fine and/or one year in jail. If the contravention causes or contributes to a wildfire, the person responsible may be ordered to pay all firefighting and associated costs.

To report a wildfire, unattended campfire, or open fire violation, call 1-800-663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cell phone. For the latest information on wildfire activity visit bcwildfire.ca.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/fire-ban-for-b-c-coast-coming-thursday/

On my drive home yesterday I noticed what appeared to be slash fires at the edges of clear cuts in the mountains behind Mission/Maple Ridge. Was thinking to myself "are you guys crazy? how is this allowed"

On my drive home yesterday I noticed what appeared to be slash fires at the edges of clear cuts in the mountains behind Mission/Maple Ridge. Was thinking to myself "are you guys crazy? how is this allowed"
Some of them can actually smolder all winter undergorund.
A couple of the fires up north were caused by this this year. Slowly smoldering under the snow all winter.......then poof in spring.

Back