URGENT NOTICE: Feb 16 Areas 18-20,29 SRKW Options Consultation Mtgs.

SVIAC

PLEASE ATTEND IF YOU ARE ABLE! These are very important public consultation meetings to give DFO your input about the proposed DFO SRKW fishing closures. DFO needs to hear what the recreational sector thinks about these proposals as you can be sure that the other sectors will be doing so. Please note that the timeframe for holding these meetings comes from DFO.

NOTICE OF IMPORTANT DFO - SFAB MEETINGS:

The DFO Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery Team have agreed to present their 2022 proposed salmon fishing closure options to our local SFAB Committees. The SFAB is seeking your expert angler knowledge about the areas in question and have arranged two separate meetings for our constituents to hear from DFO and ask questions about the DFO proposals. Closures, if approved by the minister, would be in effect between June 1 and October 31 and mean no salmon fishing. You can attend the meeting that relates to areas you fish, either one or both meetings. The meetings are:

Online Meeting 1 – Wednesday February 16th from 11:00am to 12:30pm – for Victoria - Juan de Fuca – Port Renfrew - Nitnat

Microsoft Teams meeting - Join on your computer or mobile app Click here to join this meeting at 11:00am

Online Meeting 2 – Wednesday February 16th from 3:00pm to 4:30pm - Fraser River Mouth – Southern Gulf Islands

Microsoft Teams meeting – Join on your computer or mobile app Click here to join this meeting at 3:00pm -

There is also already a DFO online survey circulating on the same issue with their proposed closure options identified that seeks public feedback. The deadline for public response to the survey is March 2, 2022.

PLEASE NOTE: The SFAB suggests that local anglers wait until after the two DFO presentations before completing the DFO survey. Using input from the SFAB constituents and local angling knowledge there may be some special recommendations or hybrid options to put forward by the SFAB.

I hope you can join us,
Chris

Last edited:
I like many will be working tomorrow but I am going to attend as much as I can during my lunch break. I would encourage all who care about the public fishery do the same if they cannot attend for the whole online meeting.

Vital to get as many people who support the public fishery to take the time to attend and tell DFO what we think of these nonsensical options that do little to protect SRKW but much to make ENGO's happy! Time to make our voices heard!!!

Great meeting this afternoon. Jason T covered a lot of good points as did the others for the Souther GI. Not expecting a miracle from this bunch but here's hoping for a more positive response.

They had one slide that I thought was interesting they said they had lots of support for salmon closures but not total fin fish closures:

Does anyone have a point of contact for written feedback. Did the survey but it allows limited opportunity. I noticed they said they were out of time but that other feedback methods were available. Didn't catch who the Point of Contact was.

Does anyone have a point of contact for written feedback. Did the survey but it allows limited opportunity. I noticed they said they were out of time but that other Kendra and Kurt dfeedback methods were available. Didn't catch who the Point of Contact was.
I'd start from this guy. Kurt and Kendra didn't share their contacts.

1645120692643.png

Here’s the basics of what I heard in the meeting yesterday. If I missed or misinterpreted anything, anyone from the forum who attended is welcome to clarify.

Approximately 45 people attended the meeting. Groups represented ranged from DFO, Transport Canada, recreational fishermen, charter guides, municipal officials to business owners. I have attached a few of the proposal closure maps which provide the basics of the DFO proposals. Hopefully meeting minutes were kept and can be posted.

A lot of the discussion was about the Port Renfrew area and how possible closures will harm businesses and increase risks for recreational fishermen if they must travel too far to fish. One of the proposals was to keep the traditional Swift Sure Bank salmon/halibut grounds and one mile from the shoreline open. Some of the long-term local PR people would like to see the boundary expanded out to provide an opportunity to fish Coho and Pinks during the no retention times. It still sounded like no retention of salmon will remain in place until July 15th.

The Sooke/Victoria areas were briefly discussed. The SFAB fishing closure area recommendation which was submitted to DFO is attached. There was a discussion regarding the DFO proposed closures being triangles running out from shore and how hard it would be for a fisherman to determine the area boundaries with no reference points except for their GPS.

All guest contributors had great fishing knowledge and the represented the adverse affects to the local communities if fishing opportunities are closed or further reduced. Now it’s up to DFO to provide the Minister with all the concerns and issues discussed.

TC and DFO had concerns regarding acoustics from vessels, reduced travel speeds in some areas and no-go zones. The greatest omission at the meeting was the non-stop whale watching boats with twin engines going 40 mph, circling, and disturbing the whales. Some days I’ve counted more than 25 whale watching boats in a morning fishing trip off Sooke, all of them heading towards Jordon River. Fishermen have a smaller acoustic footprint compared to the whale watchers that are having an affect on the whales foraging for food.

Did DFO and TC understand that fishing closures affect many more things than just fisherman? Will organized and funded lobbyists have the Minister’s ear and take sides with them like they did a few years ago in Sooke? A few years ago, DFO provided a closure scenario of closing west of Sherringham Point to retention of salmon. The SFAB proposed they close salmon fishing a little past Sherringham Point which would’ve given fisherman the opportunity to fish the small area around Sherringham light House. The Minister came back with closing fishing west of Otter point which reduced fishing opportunities more than the original DFO proposal! Let’s NEVER make that mistake again. I heard a rumor that the lobbyist group met with the Minister a few days prior to our proposal being given. Luckily that closure only lasted a year, and it was moved back to Sherringham.

Attachments

• swiftsure possible closures. .jpg
    swiftsure possible closures. .jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Area 20 proposed closures.jpg
    Area 20 proposed closures.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SFAB closure proposal. .jpg
    SFAB closure proposal. .jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 44
Here’s the basics of what I heard in the meeting yesterday. If I missed or misinterpreted anything, anyone from the forum who attended is welcome to clarify.

Approximately 45 people attended the meeting. Groups represented ranged from DFO, Transport Canada, recreational fishermen, charter guides, municipal officials to business owners. I have attached a few of the proposal closure maps which provide the basics of the DFO proposals. Hopefully meeting minutes were kept and can be posted.

A lot of the discussion was about the Port Renfrew area and how possible closures will harm businesses and increase risks for recreational fishermen if they must travel too far to fish. One of the proposals was to keep the traditional Swift Sure Bank salmon/halibut grounds and one mile from the shoreline open. Some of the long-term local PR people would like to see the boundary expanded out to provide an opportunity to fish Coho and Pinks during the no retention times. It still sounded like no retention of salmon will remain in place until July 15th.

The Sooke/Victoria areas were briefly discussed. The SFAB fishing closure area recommendation which was submitted to DFO is attached. There was a discussion regarding the DFO proposed closures being triangles running out from shore and how hard it would be for a fisherman to determine the area boundaries with no reference points except for their GPS.

All guest contributors had great fishing knowledge and the represented the adverse affects to the local communities if fishing opportunities are closed or further reduced. Now it’s up to DFO to provide the Minister with all the concerns and issues discussed.

TC and DFO had concerns regarding acoustics from vessels, reduced travel speeds in some areas and no-go zones. The greatest omission at the meeting was the non-stop whale watching boats with twin engines going 40 mph, circling, and disturbing the whales. Some days I’ve counted more than 25 whale watching boats in a morning fishing trip off Sooke, all of them heading towards Jordon River. Fishermen have a smaller acoustic footprint compared to the whale watchers that are having an affect on the whales foraging for food.

Did DFO and TC understand that fishing closures affect many more things than just fisherman? Will organized and funded lobbyists have the Minister’s ear and take sides with them like they did a few years ago in Sooke? A few years ago, DFO provided a closure scenario of closing west of Sherringham Point to retention of salmon. The SFAB proposed they close salmon fishing a little past Sherringham Point which would’ve given fisherman the opportunity to fish the small area around Sherringham light House. The Minister came back with closing fishing west of Otter point which reduced fishing opportunities more than the original DFO proposal! Let’s NEVER make that mistake again. I heard a rumor that the lobbyist group met with the Minister a few days prior to our proposal being given. Luckily that closure only lasted a year, and it was moved back to Sherringham.
Great summary Doug! Thanks for doing this as I could only attend a portion of the meeting.

The key for us is to NEVER stop pressuring the govt! Because those against the public fishery will never stop! We must accept the fact that the good ol' days are gone and we have to annually fight to protect the right for a public fishery of salmon. Time to get over it and start getting on with it!!

I think a key argument is the real economic harm that these closures bring to local businesses and economies. This is something that the ENGO's have little to argue against for good reason. We also need to fund and hire 3rd party objective researchers to show how nonsensical many of these closures are and that they do little to protect SRKW's, but much to make the govt look good and the ENGO's happy.

If you do not regularly support lobbying org's like the Public Fishery Alliance, SVIAC, SFI-BC, etc. NOW is the time to do so as they can only lobby hard with ongoing support. Here are some links:

https://publicfisheryalliance.ca/ , https://www.anglerscoalition.com/ , https://sportfishing.bc.ca/

Last edited:
The greatest omission at the meeting was the non-stop whale watching boats with twin engines going 40 mph, circling, and disturbing the whales. Some days I’ve counted more than 25 whale watching boats in a morning fishing trip off Sooke, all of them heading towards Jordon River. Fishermen have a smaller acoustic footprint compared to the whale watchers that are having an affect on the whales foraging for food.
Why is this consistently over looked? And apparently taboo to mention?
Whale watchers need to have no go zones, speed limits, limited days and/or hours so that the whales get a break. Could be every other day or 2- 3 hour shifts per day….
We fisherman Do Not Seek Out Whales.

Why is this consistently over looked? And apparently taboo to mention?
Whale watchers need to have no go zones, speed limits, limited days and/or hours so that the whales get a break. Could be every other day or 2- 3 hour shifts per day….
We fisherman Do Not Seek Out Whales.

I agree that if we are making whale sanctuaries WW shouldn't be allowed in them. Military shouldn't be allowed to do live fire exercises either. Freighters shouldn't be allowed to pass through either, or any other boat. That's why these sanctuaries are plain stupid. Whale watchers and rec boats are quite capable of maintaining distances away.

What bugs me most is what is our target here? What is the metrics the department is using to tell if this is successful? When people don't have those answers you know there is something at higher level they aren't saying. From what I can tell I say this is coming right from the top (from PM). I don't think DFO Pacific has anything to do with it.

This really is all about the liberal government trying to get the T2 expansion, and Trans Mountain approved to appease environmentalists,and be prepared for legal action if taken to court.

If these two projects go to court the NGO will use the whales to block these projects. It's actually a clever strategy.

If you think I am wrong go read a few of the NGO groups platforms.

Last edited:
I’m still surprised that they are creating Whale Sanctuaries with an annual Interim Order. As I read it Interim orders are used when it is critical to address an emergency situation. What is the emergency situation? Is it an emergency when whales are not even present? Is it an emergency that happens annually during the same months? Whose safety and what environmental risks are at play that deem it necessary to declare an emergency. I believe the Minister overstepped their authority in order to avoid debate on the closure. Fishing aside these sanctuaries close areas to navigation For what should be an emergency! I note it was mentioned they would look for a more permanent order, which would mean going in front of opposition politicians and answering questions, one of which I hope is what evidence do you have that sanctuaries accomplish anything.

We are over analyzing the situation.
DFO want us off the water. The ENGO are powerful and have lots of money.
Liberal government will always bow to them.
Sad reality.

While this may be a large part of the reality we face, let us not lose heart and give up. Need to be strong and united as the Public Fishery is to important and valuable to let it fade away!

Back