IMPORTANT: Mar. 15 Victoria & Area SFAB Online Mtg. 7pm

Whole in the Water

This will be an important call to attend as it will give us an idea of DFO's response to the publics feedback to the proposed SRKW closures and what the fishing regulations will look like for 2022.

Here is the email reminder that Chris Bos sent out for the meeting
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
REMINDER - Victoria and Area SFAB Committee Meeting - Tuesday March 15 at 7:00PM - Online

This is a reminder that we are holding the Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting tonight at 7:00PM. It is an online virtual meeting using DFO’s Microsoft Teams online meeting system. The log in details are listed below the signature block.

Hope to see you online tonight

Chris
Chris@anglerscoalition.com

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Join with a video conferencing device

teams@dfo-mpo.video.canada.ca

Video Conference ID: 112 025 069 6

Alternate VTC instructions

Or call in (audio only)

+1 647-484-5913,,615341714# Canada, Toronto

Phone Conference ID: 615 341 714#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | Meeting options

This will be an important call to attend as it will give us an idea of DFO's response to the publics feedback to the proposed SRKW closures and what the fishing regulations will look like for 2022.

Here is the email reminder that Chris Bos sent out for the meeting
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
REMINDER - Victoria and Area SFAB Committee Meeting - Tuesday March 15 at 7:00PM - Online

This is a reminder that we are holding the Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting tonight at 7:00PM. It is an online virtual meeting using DFO’s Microsoft Teams online meeting system. The log in details are listed below the signature block.

Hope to see you online tonight

Chris
Chris@anglerscoalition.com

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Join with a video conferencing device

teams@dfo-mpo.video.canada.ca

Video Conference ID: 112 025 069 6

Alternate VTC instructions

Or call in (audio only)

+1 647-484-5913,,615341714# Canada, Toronto

Phone Conference ID: 615 341 714#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | Meeting options

who will be attending from DFO?

Not to be a pessimist but is there anything to be hopeful for ?
The IFMP indicates the same closures as last year with the possibility of more restrictions for the SVRKW

Last edited:
Not to be a pessimist but is there anything to be hopeful for ?
The IFMP indicates the same closures as last year with the possibility of more restrictions

They told the SFAB that they are not taking feedback for this upcoming spring season. They are taking feedback for the next IFMP the one that is currently in draft form but that I beleive goes into effect in July. I believe the SRKW feedback is going to the Minister soon as they wanted that to be done April 1 but im sure it will be delayed like everything that gets sent to the minister so maybe mid april.

Only hopefully thing is perhaps expanded mark selective fisheries but that probably will still take years meanwhile i believe the salmon allocation policy is next up.

Defiantly hard to find a silver lining,

There were 17 attendees: three charter companies (Foghorn, Quigley, D&D), about ten recreational fishermen and SFAB/DFO. Lots of knowledgeable and experienced people – some involved in fishing for over 30 years.

Many thanks to Chris Bos, Tom Cole, and the other people on SFAB for all your hundreds of unpaid volunteer hours to represent recreational fishing interests with DFO, special interest, and lobbyist groups. It’s a massive challenge to keep one step ahead of the forces trying to stop us fishing.

I think I heard salmon fishing will be shut down April 1st to July 31st in the same locations as last year. This is probably carved in stone but until the Minister makes the final decision things might change..

The next step is DFO briefing the Minister about SFAB concerns and three options for fishing in area 20. See attached. Sorry about the quality of the photos. “Whole in the Water” might be able to provide better photos.

Some DFO changes to expect:

1st : 2022/2023 fishing license is two pages – more info required.

2nd : Crabbing floats in 2023/2024 must be bullet type floats 27cm+ in length and 12cm+ in diameter. Labeling the same as before. No other floats (plastic bottles, Scotsman, etc.) are acceptable. DFO is giving recreational fisherman two years to adjust to the new regulations.

3rd : Chinook & Coho head off length equivalents for transportation have Head on VS Head off measurements, so Head on 30cm/Head off 24cm, 45cm/35cm, 62cm/48cm, 67cm/52cm, 77cm/63cm, 80cm/65cm.

4th : Krill counters at docks can now report anyone to DFO refusing to share their catch information. I think I heard the fine is $575. Apparently, too little information given and too few fish heads being turned in. When the Krill counters see people with fish who refuse to provide information, they assume the fish are wild.

As my lawyer says, EO&E – errors & omissions excepted. If anyone heard anything else, please feel free to clarify.

forgot the maps.

There was lot of discussion about retaining marked fish but it will not be approved in this year's submission to the Minister.

Attachments

• DFO option 1.jpg
    DFO option 1.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DFO option 2.jpg
    DFO option 2.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DFO option 3.jpg
    DFO option 3.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 41
There were 17 attendees: three charter companies (Foghorn, Quigley, D&D), about ten recreational fishermen and SFAB/DFO. Lots of knowledgeable and experienced people – some involved in fishing for over 30 years.

Many thanks to Chris Bos, Tom Cole, and the other people on SFAB for all your hundreds of unpaid volunteer hours to represent recreational fishing interests with DFO, special interest, and lobbyist groups. It’s a massive challenge to keep one step ahead of the forces trying to stop us fishing.

I think I heard salmon fishing will be shut down April 1st to July 31st in the same locations as last year. This is probably carved in stone but until the Minister makes the final decision things might change..

The next step is DFO briefing the Minister about SFAB concerns and three options for fishing in area 20. See attached. Sorry about the quality of the photos. “Whole in the Water” might be able to provide better photos.

2nd : Crabbing floats in 2023/2024 must be bullet type floats 27cm+ in length and 12cm+ in diameter. Labeling the same as before. No other floats (plastic bottles, Scotsman, etc.) are acceptable. DFO is giving recreational fisherman two years to adjust to the new regulations.

3rd : Chinook & Coho head off length equivalents for transportation have Head on VS Head off measurements, so Head on 30cm/Head off 24cm, 45cm/35cm, 62cm/48cm, 67cm/52cm, 77cm/63cm, 80cm/65cm.

4th : Krill counters at docks can now report anyone to DFO refusing to share their catch information. I think I heard the fine is $575. Apparently, too little information given and too few fish heads being turned in. When the Krill counters see people with fish who refuse to provide information, they assume the fish are wild.

As my lawyer says, EO&E – errors & omissions excepted. If anyone heard anything else, please feel free to clarify.
Are they moving toward standardizing Commercial crab floats?

Are they moving toward standardizing Commercial crab floats?
I don't know.
I just can comment on what I've heard in the meeting. It's easy to follow the meeting on the form and hook up to view it. You can ask your questions to DFO.
Here is the latest post from DFO.
I suggest people follow the DFO posts or attend the call in SFAB meetings.

RECREATIONAL - General Informationstyle='mso-special-character:line-break'>

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN0243-Important Information on the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence Conditions for licence year April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences for the upcoming licence year, starting on April 1, 2022, will be available towards the end of March; a subsequent Fishery Notice will be posted to advise the actual date of availability.
New and significant conditions of the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence for April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023 are as follows:
--The licence is now a two page licence; you must print both pages and attach/keep them together – OR – have your licence immediately available to be viewed on an electronic device. Note that we were unable to keep the expanding number of conditions of licence on one page. Fishers are reminded that catch records must be immediately permanently recorded on the paper licence (on page 1), or in their NRLS account, for the following species and areas: Chinook and halibut retained in any Management Area, and lingcod retained in Areas 12 to 19 (excluding Subarea 12-14), and Subareas 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5.

CRAB & PRAWN/SHRIMP TRAP FLOATS:
--Floats must be made of a durable material and designed for operation in marine waters. Avoid plastic jugs, bottles and foam blocks that may deteriorate or sink, or are hard to see or mark. This change supports improved enforcement, the removal of junk from marine waters, and supports cleaner oceans.
SALMON HEAD RECOVERY PROGRAM:
--The conditions of licence detail the equivalent head-off lengths for Chinook and coho salmon that may be retained during openings as described in the BC Sport Fishing Guide href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html. The online BC Sport Fishing Guide also provides details on overall length restrictions, how to make length measurements, packaging instructions and the Salmon Head Recovery Program.
--Fishers are encouraged to return Chinook and coho salmon heads to Salmon Head Recovery Depots for analysis by the Department; the recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. More information on this program can be found in the online BC Sport Fishing Guide or by contacting the toll free phone number at (866) 483-9994.
SPECIAL NOTES:
1) Under recent regulatory changes, violations of conditions of licence may be subject to a ticket/fine of $750, plus a 15% processing surcharge.
2) EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2023 - Crab & Prawn/Shrimp traps. The Department would like to advise that changes to the conditions of licence to standardize crab and prawn/shrimp float requirements will be proceeding for the licence year beginning on April 1, 2023. This change is required to support improved enforcement and catch monitoring. This advance notice is intended to provide stakeholders and gear manufacturers/distributors adequate time to prepare for these planned changes. Some fishers may be required to purchase new fishing gear over the next year in order to be in compliance on April 1, 2023 with the following requirements.
- Crab Traps - Floats attached to crab traps must be bullet shaped cylindrical floats a minimum of 27cm in length and 12cm in diameter. Typically these are foam floats which can be found at most tackle retailers.
- Prawn and Shrimp Traps - Floats attached to prawn and shrimp traps must be round (spherical) in shape and a minimum of 27cm in diameter. Typically these are ‘Scotchman’ style floats which can be found at most tackle retailers.
These changes have been reviewed and approved by the Sport Fishing Advisory Board.
OTHER NOTES:
--Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences can be purchased via any computer connected to the internet at
href="https://recfish-pechesportive.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm">https://recfish-pechesportive.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm
--Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.
--For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-(866)431-FISH(3474).
INFORMATION:
Feliksas Markevicius,
Recreational Fisheries Advisor (Pacific Region) Fisheries & Oceans Canada
href="mailto:Feliksas.Markevicius@dfo-mpo.gc.ca">Feliksas.Markevicius@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Thanks for posting a summary - much appreciated. Are we looking at the same type of slot size limits this year? Same, better or worse?

Thanks for posting a summary - much appreciated. Are we looking at the same type of slot size limits this year? Same, better or worse?

Sigh. What's going on with this area!

Think your going to see worse C. Status quo on last years Chinook restrictions, and implementation of some kind of whale no go zone. The no go zone makes me nervous.

Don't want to mean but when a total of 17 people ( mostly regulars) go to meeting like South island that speaks volumes. You guys that post here that fish that area aren't helping your chair or area by just not going to make some kind of statement. That number does get recorded on the minutes.

Thanks for your summary Doug.

Last edited:
Sigh. What's going on with this area!

Think your going to see worse C. Status quo on last years Chinook restrictions, and implementation of some kind of whale no go zone. The no go zone makes me nervous.

Don't want to mean but when a total of 17 people ( mostly regulars) go to meeting like South island that speaks volumes. You guys that post here that fish that area aren't helping your chair or area by just not going to make some kind of statement. That number does get recorded on the minutes.

Thanks for your summary Doug.
You cant blame people for giving up. Many of us have been writing the various ministers for years with good solid suggestions that make sense.
All of which are ignored.
If anyone has a better way of dealing with DFO I'm all ears.
Sick of the whole B.S. system.

I disagree that giving up is a good decision especially now.

Anyway said what I said and the truth hurts. These guys down there get like zero help. Least you guys can do is support them by showing up, and voicing your concerns. All I am saying.

Last edited:
Didn't say it was a good decision.
Just that you can't blame them for giving up on a terribly inadequate bureaucracy.

Last edited:
The number of people attending SBAB meetings keeps dwindling. Every recreational fisherman who isn’t attending is missing out on hearing the issues firsthand, asking questions, get their vote counted on issues and understand the bureaucracy we are facing. We’re in trouble because the rumor mill is running at full speed about who’s too blame.

Sooner or later there’ll be no one at the table and the bureaucracy can end along with sport salmon fishing.

Once salmon fishing gets totally shut down, people will care but it’ll be too late. What gets taken won’t get returned. Just like all the closures we’ve faced in area 19/20 and it just gets worst as time goes on. Something like the SFAB meetings.

Will we ever get back salmon fishing in July? Probably not. Let’s not lose what we still have.

I’ll keep attending because someone has to turn off the lights at the end.

You cant blame people for giving up. Many of us have been writing the various ministers for years with good solid suggestions that make sense.
All of which are ignored.
If anyone has a better way of dealing with DFO I'm all ears.
Sick of the whole B.S. system.
I agree I keep writing to let them know how I feel about their regulations and issues I feel they need to relook at. I also send copies to my MP as well as the opposition critic. Different for everyone I guess but I prefer the more direct approach.

Back