URGENT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery - DFO Online Survey-Deadline March 2nd (Salmon Fishing Area Closures 2022)

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Here you go guys. It's real. There are going to be some portion of areas that will be off limits to fishing this year to protect the whales. It is important that everyone on this forum and beyond fill out the survey posted below.

Sorry wish I had better news. Your reps are engaging with DFO right now. Review the maps and make your comments. Some of the impacts could be significant so now is not the time to sit back.

I posted this additional info from our SFAB chair Martin Paish:

----------------

Good afternoon SFAB members.

The SFAB SRKW committee has been meeting regularly with DFO representatives to work towards the SFAB providing recommendations on achieving a balance between ongoing protection to SRKW’s, and enabling the maintenance and rebuilding of angling activity that we know is so very important to the small coastal communities who depend on it. These proposals reflect the new science available regarding foraging behaviour in some areas and the availability of accurate, current information in others to produce a suite of recommendations that offer protection in key foraging zones whose locations are supported by current data, and encourage further research to be considered in areas with limited or old information. The objective behind this approach is to ensure that measures considered are actually beneficial to SRKW, and reflect the responsibility of DFO to consider the balance between recovery objectives, the changing migration and foraging patterns of SRKW, the current health and body condition of SRKW’s, new information relating to the availability of prey in JdF, and the dependence of coastal communities on the socioeconomic benefits associated with sustainable and reliable access to retention salmon fisheries.

To that end, the SRKW committee is currently actively engaged in developing proposals for DFO to consider as feedback from the SFAB. This will be done in the form of meetings with local SFAC’s and DFO marine mammal experts over the next couple of weeks. While we encourage all anglers to participate in the survey, if you wish to be better informed of the proposals being put forward by the SFAB we request that you allow us to complete our work, and we will provide a summary that will be useful in that regard. Your indication of support for the SFAB proposals in the appropriate questions or space to provide comments in the survey will be really helpful in our efforts as well.

We note that the survey closes March 2nd, and will provide information well before that.

Thanks for you support of the efforts of the SFAB SRKW team, and please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Regards,

Martin Paish

Chair, SFAB

----------------------------

Last edited:
Survey to fill out.

Info:

THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Today an online survey was launched to help gather feedback on the proposed management measure options for 2022 to continue to support the recovery of Southern Resident Killer Whales.

Since 2019, the Government of Canada has been implementing a suite of measures to protect and further support the recovery of Southern Resident Killer Whales. These measures have been in place annually to address key threats to the recovery of this population, including reduced quantity and access to their prey, and increased noise and disturbance in their habitat.

Your valued feedback will help us refine the proposed management measures and help us understand potential implications of the options being considered. As such, we invite you to review the proposed management measure options for 2022, and submit your comments to help inform this years approach. The public survey is available on the Fisheries and Oceans Canada website until March 2, 2022. Please use this links below access the survey.

Last edited:
Here are few maps for survey. Look at East Sooke in particular. Sooke stands to lose basically the East Sooke fishery. Even still the Beachy Head would be off limits in both cases.

Renfrew stands lose the entire beach fishery worse case. Just imagine what fishing at East point would be like.

sooke1.JPGsooke2.JPG

Last edited:
In the meeting they told us they are closing Vancouver because they also eat chum and coho and it’s not just about chinook.

they also have very week science to support the closures but they said they have a shirt to the precautionary principle.

this is being forced down from the top. Go look for more areas to close and that’s what they have done.

we all know what I gonna happen of these go though it’s gonna out 100s of boats in cramped areas to fish and then Thoes areas will be targeted.

just FYI I have an avid hikers friend and she said hikers are loosing acess everywhere. Crown land, Provence parks and federal parks. She said they lost access to one area over caribou concerns even tho a caribou has not been spotted in the area in 40 years. They shut down one trail for 6 months because someone spotted a black bear. She’s said what’s the point of having wild life if we’re just walling off all the areas how are people going to care and lean. We have a bunch of clowns at the helm.

I was listening to a few local guys last night say well they will never touch the banks... Think again. Swiftsure bank options from survey:swiftsure1.JPGswiftsure2.JPG

Pender island is about the worst I have seen out of all them on this survey. If you mirror it with the current RCA there is nowhere for anyone to go. It also chokes/snuffs out all the anglers in Area 18 as they are closed at end of July with existing Cowichan Chinook restrictions. If fish in Cowichan bay/Ladysmith areas your hooped. Beyond ridiculous.

pender1.JPGpender2.JPGpender3.JPG

Last edited:
It should be noted these are salmon fishing closures so access to coho, chum and sockeye will be lost as well.

In the meeting they told us they are closing Vancouver because they also eat chum and coho and it’s not just about chinook.

they also have very week science to support the closures but they said they have a shirt to the precautionary principle.

this is being forced down from the top. Go look for more areas to close and that’s what they have done.

we all know what I gonna happen of these go though it’s gonna out 100s of boats in cramped areas to fish and then Thoes areas will be targeted.

just FYI I have an avid hikers friend and she said hikers are loosing acess everywhere. Crown land, Provence parks and federal parks. She said they lost access to one area over caribou concerns even tho a caribou has not been spotted in the area in 40 years. They shut down one trail for 6 months because someone spotted a black bear. She’s said what’s the point of having wild life if we’re just walling off all the areas how are people going to care and lean. We have a bunch of clowns at the helm.

That quote you got is ridiculous. So now they are eating other salmon.

Pretty quiet on here. I am really surprised of how little everyone is interested in this. It will close half of the Juan de fuca fishery if it goes through. I don't think people get it honestly.

She has said to many users that she is going to error on the side of precaution and she is not like other Ministers in that way. Get ready.

She isn't only one. The new environment minister is driving this as well. My opinion. Both have extremely heavy environmental group ties.

Pretty quiet on here. I am really surprised

I've told now a few people and i got the responses

"there is still areas to fish"
"i don't fish local anymore"
"there gonna do what they want anyways so who cares"
"we are already closed so it is what it is"

Also this section of the forum does not show up on the main page for latest content.

That quote you got is ridiculous. So now they are eating other salmon.

That was in response to a question when someone said why are you putting in these measures when we are already closed to chinook fishing from april 1 to september 1.

I've told now a few people and i got the responses

"there is still areas to fish"
"i don't fish local anymore"
"there gonna do what they want anyways so who cares"
"we are already closed so it is what it is"

Also this section of the forum does not show up on the main page for latest content.

That was in response to a question when someone said why are you putting in these measures when we are already closed to chinook fishing from april 1 to september 1.

Brutal.

If people have such attitudes IMHO they do not deserve to fish for any salmon on the BC Coast. Thankfully shameless folks like these are in the minority. The majority of us in the public fishery sector do care. Lets prove this by filling out this survey and attending the DFO local public consultation meetings (times & locations TBA).

However please do NOT just fill out the survey and that it. We also must have large numbers of us at these consultation meeting to show DFO and the ENGO's that we do NOT and cannot let the public fishery be shut down on the southern part of Van Isle and lower mainland. The negative impact on local and regional economies when the are already hurting with COVID alone is argument enough, let alone that these poorly thought out, knee jerk proposals will do little to help the SRKW but just make DFO look good and the ENGO's to feel better about themselves. We need to be united and attend in large numbers to make this better! DFO and their govt handlers only understand and react to public pressure.

Pender island is about the worst I have seen out of all them on this survey. If you mirror it with the current RCA there is nowhere for anyone to go. It also chokes/snuffs out all the anglers in Area 18 as they are closed at end of July with existing Cowichan Chinook restrictions. If fish in Cowichan bay/Ladysmith areas your hooped. Beyond ridiculous.

View attachment 75137View attachment 75138View attachment 75139
Being a resident of Pender Island I can't describe how angry I am. This has gone well beyond the ridiculous. They are asking me which option do I support. They can take all their options and stick them you know where. The Pender Bluffs Interim Whale Sanctuary is a bad joke and they are going to expand it even more. Completely destroy a small local fishery that is not going to affect the SRKW one iota. The expanded area covers the route of thousands of deep sea vessels going by daily, but that's okay. The existing "sanctuary" is supposed to have no boat traffic through it, yet the last two years there have been thousands of vessels going through it with virtually no enforcement, but that's okay. But a handful of local residents fishing is a big threat. Give me a break....I can not describe how disgusted I am with politicians in general. Feeding from the public trough and only interested in staying in power regardless of who they destroy in their wake. I filled out the survey two days ago with much gnashing of teeth. I hope the members of the SFAB can pound some sense into these individuals. Please make your disgust known.

Being a resident of Pender Island I can't describe how angry I am. This has gone well beyond the ridiculous. They are asking me which option do I support. They can take all their options and stick them you know where. The Pender Bluffs Interim Whale Sanctuary is a bad joke and they are going to expand it even more. Completely destroy a small local fishery that is not going to affect the SRKW one iota. The expanded area covers the route of thousands of deep sea vessels going by daily, but that's okay. The existing "sanctuary" is supposed to have no boat traffic through it, yet the last two years there have been thousands of vessels going through it with virtually no enforcement, but that's okay. But a handful of local residents fishing is a big threat. Give me a break....I can not describe how disgusted I am with politicians in general. Feeding from the public trough and only interested in staying in power regardless of who they destroy in their wake. I filled out the survey two days ago with much gnashing of teeth. I hope the members of the SFAB can pound some sense into these individuals. Please make your disgust known.
So by filling in the online survey ,we are allowed to pick our poison option 1, 2 or 3

I feel bad for you guys on that island no where to go. It isn't right. Totally get your frustration.

I filled this out but if Beachy is going to be closed past the trap shack then Sooke harbour and otter point are going to be gong shows....

Maybe we can just all start fishing in US waters

Back