SRKW Managment 2023 Survey (Open until Feb 19 2023)

Salted

Provide input on the recovery of Southern Resident killer whale potential management measures for 2023.

Link directly to Survey:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/fm-gp/srkw-eprs/2023-srkw-survey-sondage-ers-eng.html

Heads up - this survey shows possible expansions of existing closure areas, as well as new/modified Sanctuary Zones.

These closures force smaller vessels and inexperienced boaters further away from safe fishing areas, or make fishing entirely impossible for those with smaller boats. It's unacceptable that these regulations disproportionately effect the poor/inexperienced, and put their safety at risk.

I've been involved with a Gulf Islands fishing derby, and our number one concern for our local fishing derby is the safety of our participants - these closures have completely overlooked small vessel safety. It's no coincidence that our derbys have been cancelled as a direct result of these measures. We've made efforts to have derby specific openings, it all falls on deaf ears.

Fishing derby's often raise money for organizations such as PSF, Hatcheries, etc. They build community and have economic benefit. It's an absolute disgrace that derby's are disappearing across the coast - with a net loss to fish and communities. I know several folks that used to volunteer at hatcheries, that have said 'screw it' when they can't fish or retain the clipped fish that they've contributed to. DFO doesn't see the big picture. Derby organizers should have the ability to request exemptions from the DFO to ensure area openings and fish retention a year ahead of time, but obviously that's never been a priority for them... what a shame.

Last edited:
The Survey does ask for opinions on a few of those questions. Personally I'm going to cut and paste:

These closures force smaller vessels and inexperienced boaters further away from safe fishing areas, or make fishing entirely impossible for those with smaller boats. It's unacceptable that these regulations disproportionately effect the poor/inexperienced, and put their safety at risk.

and

It's an absolute disgrace that derby's are disappearing across the coast - with a net loss to fish and communities. Derby organizers should have the ability to request exemptions from the DFO to ensure area openings and fish retention a year ahead of time.

I'd encourage any of you who choose to participate in the survey to cut and paste if you're so inclined, or to post our own concerns in the survey, and/or in this thread.

And yeah, I'm aware that the Derby Organizers having effective communication with DFO to plan and organize a derby a year in advance isn't even possible with the way that DFOs management decisions come so incredibly late in the game, just let me dream. 🤔o_O:D

Back