Urgent Need to Send Ltr. Re DFO Fraser Chinook Plans

These comments on data are annoying. I think it really is lack of understanding of what the MCC are. People seem to keep zeroing in an FN only.

The MCC has lot influence with DFO and also the FN groups. All the SFAB or trying to do get reasonable marked fishery going.

The MCC if you look at document would allow some fisheries to take place. That is a big change from last year. Sorry guys how can we get these things opened up us some if you just don't comply?

Shake my head at some of the comments and some not writing letters. It's absolutely brutal.

I respect what your saying Pat but im a realist Ive written so many letters used to write one a day and send them off... Sooke and Victoria is almost dead now because we had our chance a long time ago to stop it and we didnt , Im am glad you and other are putting up the fight , my time has passed as I really dont see it getting any better, the lifestyle of guiding and making a living in area 19/20 is lost... im one of the lucky ones . I own my boat so no payments and its really not even worth trying to sell as I wont get what Its worth...so ill do my 1 month season and just have fun...(as much as I can) there has been at least 9 company's close doors in sooke from last year to now and you will see more soon enough. As some have to pay for boats and house,car,kid and they cant survive...in 30 years of writing letters I always get the same generic response from them in a form letter ...
One thing about DFO they always think the opposite of what is common sense this I have learned from seeing them in action...
Until we go into a meeting and we demand and raise a huge stink nothing going to change there is only one time I saw when DFO backed off thats when Victoria and Nananimo had huge town meeting did DFO go holy crap we better back off....

I respect what your saying Pat but im a realist Ive written so many letters used to write one a day and send them off... Sooke and Victoria is almost dead now because we had our chance a long time ago to stop it and we didnt , Im am glad you and other are putting up the fight , my time has passed as I really dont see it getting any better, the lifestyle of guiding and making a living in area 19/20 is lost... im one of the lucky ones . I own my boat so no payments and its really not even worth trying to sell as I wont get what Its worth...so ill do my 1 month season and just have fun...(as much as I can) there has been at least 9 company's close doors in sooke from last year to now and you will see more soon enough. As some have to pay for boats and house,car,kid and they cant survive...in 30 years of writing letters I always get the same generic response from them in a form letter ...
One thing about DFO they always think the opposite of what is common sense this I have learned from seeing them in action...
Until we go into a meeting and we demand and raise a huge stink nothing going to change there is only one time I saw when DFO backed off thats when Victoria and Nananimo had huge town meeting did DFO go holy crap we better back off....

Wolf, I completely agree with your perspective. If writing letters is effective we would have seen the benefits by now and I would write thousands of letter myself. Its quite simple if you put it into DFOs perspective. Would you rather impose restrictions on a group where the negative consequences from DFOs decisions get letters sent to them via email telling them how their decision impacts that interest group? I know of people who work in government capacities and when they receive such emails, they press delete. Now, if DFO pisses of ENGOs, that group would chain themselves to trees, office building doors. When police come they are taken away yelling and screaming. Makes for good PR. Same thing with commercial and FN sector. These groups don't go down without a fight.

If you were DFO would you rather deal with an email or with this?

It comes as no surprise to me why we continually get shafted and bent over a stump.

While I was not intending to send yet another series of letters this year, I sent out multiple letters last night as this is what is asked of us from some of you on this site.

Last edited:
Wolf, I completely agree with your perspective. If writing letters is effective we would have seen the benefits by now and I would write thousands of letter myself. Its quite simple if you put it into DFOs perspective. Would you rather impose restrictions on a group where the negative consequences from DFOs decisions get letters sent to them via email telling them how their decision impacts that interest group? I know of people who work in government capacities and when they receive such emails, they press delete. Now, if DFO pisses of ENGOs, that group would chain themselves to trees, office building doors. When police come they are taken away yelling and screaming. Makes for good PR. Same thing with commercial and FN sector. These groups don't go down without a fight.

If you were DFO would you rather deal with an email or with this?

It comes as no surprise to me why we continually get shafted and bent over a stump.

While I was not intending to send yet another series of letters this year, I sent out multiple letters last night as this is what is asked of us from some of you on this site.
Yeah but complaining on SFBC will fix things

Reactions: Bod

Wolf is telling it like it is ......
I understand the effort behind this, however it falls on deaf ears.
as mentioned before , after a dozen odd letters to DFO there was virtually no response.
area 19/20 has been hit increasingly harder with restrictions for over 10 years now
and we're just fed up.
If I thought for a minute writing another letter would help, I would do it.
Closest thing to a protest was being part of Outfitter's boat rally last fall which made the news
but didn't change anything.

Last edited:
Wolf is telling it like it is ......
I understand the effort behind this, however it falls on deaf ears.
as mentioned before , after a dozen odd letters to DFO there was virtually no response.
area 19/20 has been hit increasingly harder with restrictions for over 10 years now
and we're just fed up.
If I thought for a minute writing another letter would help, I would do it.
Closest thing to a protest was being part of Outfitter's boat rally last fall which made the news
but didn't change anything.
So doing nothing is better then doing something ?

All i am saying is go ahead if you think in your mind its gonna make a difference .... been there done this for coming up 30 years and I hate to say it but if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside then go for it, i used to say to people 13 years ago write letter HOUND DFO well fast forward to now... has it improved???
But will say good on the guys who still put up the fight I respect you for trying...

Last edited:
Completely agree. If all you can muster is letters and emails then good night. I put my time in, held positions, slugged it out with DFO and Province. We had first class battle champions back then like Bob Wright and others and scored some points here and there. Letters will get you nothing. And especially not under today's circumstances. Sportfishing was regarded back then, almost everyone did it, politicians, celebrities. We had profile and a positive image in daily media outlets. Fishing was cool and fun! Look what sportfishing is today. Animal cruelty, nerds and losers fish, weirdos who like slimy hands and bloody guts. We need a massive campaign putting us into the right light again; show casing how we are the only true guardians of fish without or almost without financial interest in the product. The amount of time and funds we put back into the ecosystem versus the bit we take. And stop playing by the silly rules that DFO dictates us which by the way are just designed to put us on the sideline. If you want to keep playing their stupid game and without the heavy hitters of the past, please fill your boots. I am not until someone of profile, courage and charisma puts a new game plan together.

Only today and tomorrow left to send your letters in support of the Sport Fish Advisory Board Chinook Retention Proposal.

I worked on mine for quite awhile and sent it yesterday. I emailed it and asked for a "read receipt' on the email. That was around noon yesterday. I have already received 2 "read" confirmations from senior DFO staff. These letters are being taken into account and they're looking at them on the weekends!

Get your letters in. They make a difference!

Only today and tomorrow left to send your letters in support of the Sport Fish Advisory Board Chinook Retention Proposal.

I worked on mine for quite awhile and sent it yesterday. I emailed it and asked for a "read receipt' on the email. That was around noon yesterday. I have already received 2 "read" confirmations from senior DFO staff. These letters are being taken into account and they're looking at them on the weekends!

Get your letters in. They make a difference!

Yes get off facebook and forum and write letter.

Sent Andy a letter that said it was not too late to modify the season opener to save jobs and businesses by moving the dates up by two weeks and start implementing a mass marked hatchery program in lower BC and Vancouver Island. I spent nearly $6,000 USD on three salmon fishing trips this year and most effort was on Springs and Coho.
Hope the Feds listen... DFO should also care about social economic impacts and not on something they should have fixed ten years ago.
Looks like June and july will be in AK if this gets ignored by DFO. I'll spend my $$ elsewhere and it will be their fault, not the guide, stores, hotels and communities that I had been supporting for 30 years.
What I didn't tell them is that in a large way all this is ultimately our fault as anglers for being so politically lazy. Same for Washington and Oregon with punitive regulations, seasons and countless recreational fishing opportunities being lost because of an inability to become a loud unified voice.
Couldn't agree more, now is your opportunity as individual anglers to provide your input. The SFAB proposal is well worth a close read. A lot of effort and analysis went into crafting the response - please read and take the time to write your response letter.

It may be chasing windmills to get DFO to change the dates. Just remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If they get politically threatened they will start changing their tune. Same for OR and WA> Some of my congressional and state senate leaders in Olympia are starting more pro recreational fishing rights minded. We just have to tip the scales.

Letter written and sent to Minister Bernadette Jordan as well as the DFO Pacific Salmon Team with a CC to SFI.

min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
andrew.thomson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
terri.bonnet@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
dean.allan@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
jeff.grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
info@sportfishing.bc.ca

A very quick and to the point video by Rob Alcock on why we need to send e-mail/letter of support (if you have not seen it already). It is now posted on the Public Fishery Alliance FB site.
https://www.facebook.com/publicfisheryalliance

I just want to add that a few people have shared with me their letters. I just want to say what an amazing job that everyone is doing letting the Minister know why this is an important issue for British Columbians and all Canadians. Keep the momentum going!

Back