Urgent Need to Send Ltr. Re DFO Fraser Chinook Plans

Insulting and untrue, don’t know where you guys worked, but was never true throughout my career.Some attempts at humour pretty much backfire and this is one. Now if you said let’s have a meeting about planning the next meeting, I might agree. Anyway insulting a large portion of the community and promoting divisiveness will get you nowhere

Last edited:
Does it make more sense for us to mail in our letters rather than email? Emails are too easy to get lost in the junk/spam folder as most of us have Gmail/hotmail/telus personal email accounts rather than a business email address. If in fact it will make a difference I am willing to send multiple emails this year as I did last year. But my point is I am not confident it will be opened let alone read. Pressing delete is too easy. While it's more effort to write a letter on paper and go to the post office or drop off at mailbox, at least it will be something that is tangible and highly visible. But same as emails, it needs to be done with a large number to make an impact.
Sending a letter totally makes more impact as compared to email. Unless things have changed recently, government agencies tended to think of email as “informal communication” whereas a letter was considered “formal “ and required a response. Things may have changed but I think you’ll find you get a response from an actual letter. Try it.

Fair enough deryk. But I don’t think it’s unfair to say the results SFAB and orgs like SFI have been getting the last couple years are almost non existent. Not saying their fault but let’s be honest in that context.

Fair enough deryk. But I don’t think it’s unfair to say the results SFAB and orgs like SFI have been getting the last couple years are almost non existent. Not saying their fault but let’s be honest in that context.
It's been tough for sure but there was a lot learn from last year that's being applied to this year's approach to hopefully get better results. The long of the short of it is we need to do our part. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to put a short letter together. Let's step up to the plate and get this done!

Lots of other action happening including drawing attention to Illegal Gill Nets in the Fraser River during migration time for endangered early Fraser Chinook by the Public Fishery Alliance:

https://www.facebook.com/108665030783122/posts/121503352832623/

Last edited:
It's been tough for sure but there was a lot learn from last year it's being applied to this year's approach to hopefully get better results. The long of the short of it is we need to do our part. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to put a short letter together. Let's step up to the plate and get this done!

Lots of other action happening including drawing attention to Illegal Gill Nets in the Fraser River during migration time for endangered early Fraser Chinook by the Public Fishery Alliance:

Should also do up a Instagram profile for public fishery alliance.... if you guys need any help with anything please let me know I’d be happy to help out where I can

This seems to have settled down a bit now so not going to say much other than reiterate what I say almost every year...taking shots, veiled or otherwise, at volunteers will not be tolerated here. Voice your opinion and leave it at that...do not need to see the same opinion over and over again. I also have some suggestions for everyone to make this work. How about asking a question if you don't really know the subject matter. There is more than one member here that can help educate others as to what is happening and I am sure there will be more information on this front in the coming days and weeks. Choose to support whatever is being proposed, or don't, the choice is always yours, but don't use this space to rip someone else's efforts or proposals put forth from groups that are putting in the time to represent the very loosely tethered "Recreational Fishery." Lastly, consider volunteering your time or put up some of your hard earned cash to support those who are already volunteering. There is lots of bitching here and on social media about the ENGO's, but that is exactly what they do everyday...raise money for one purpose, to lobby politicians to see it "their" way.
Rant over...now I need to do my part and send off my letter.

Brian

Should also do up a Instagram profile for public fishery alliance.... if you guys need any help with anything please let me know I’d be happy to help out where I can
Thanks for the offer. We've got somebody working on getting Instagram up for us.

Is anybody working the legal angle? If we have a court ordered access to x percent of the fish then all this ******** gets easier. Fn gets y %, commercial gets n% rec gets x% From that point we can legally mandate access to a marked only fishery if need be. Even if we get our way this time. we will always be fighting for our access until it is enshrined in law.

Is anybody working the legal angle? If we have a court ordered access to x percent of the fish then all this ******** gets easier. Fn gets y %, commercial gets n% rec gets x% From that point we can legally mandate access to a marked only fishery if need be. Even if we get our way this time. we will always be fighting for our access until it is enshrined in law.
Conservation trumps quota. Status trumps conservation.

Conservation trumps quota. Status trumps conservation.
Yes conservation trumps quota. Law trumps status. If I'm not mistaken status is the the trump right now. No? So law should win?

Yes conservation trumps quota. Law trumps status. If I'm not mistaken status is the the trump right now. No? So law should win?
The law has ruled for basically what Rain City just posted in the Supreme Court, upheld in the appeal.
Anything else just fills some lawyers pockets

92752095_121503252832633_3043899178724884480_n.jpg

MAYBE get SFAB And SFI to ask WTF about this????

92752095_121503252832633_3043899178724884480_n.jpg

MAYBE get SFAB And SFI to ask WTF about this????

@wolf as mentioned in post above Public Fishery Alliance did do a post on it:

"Lots of other action happening including drawing attention to Illegal Gill Nets in the Fraser River during migration time for endangered early Fraser Chinook by the Public Fishery Alliance":

I know speaking from being on the Squamish to Lillooet Sport Fish Advisory Committee that we have raised the issue to DFO at our meetings of Illegal Gillnets.

They already addressed this quite convincingly last year. Allowing hatchery retention still puts more rods in the water and kills more fish. C&R keeps people off the water and that's the goal. They didn't even blink.

They'll say - "if you love fishing so much then go right ahead, just don't murder anything. What's that, all you care about is murdering fish? Well doesn't sound like you care about conservation at all!"

And then we shout - "but Moooom he gets to keep murdering fish!!"

To which they reply - "He was here first"
(and the courts agree)

Conversation over.

Lol. The only difference I see is my Moms boss didn’t have to get re elected and I didn’t pay her a wage. Having said that starting the letter with “ Hey Jackass, I pay your wages”doesn’t always work lol

The law has ruled for basically what Rain City just posted in the Supreme Court, upheld in the appeal.
Anything else just fills some lawyers pockets
Back when the decision came down we were not negotiating on a nation to nation basis. Now we should be. We have the Pacific Salmon Treaty where the fishery allocations are divided between Canada and the US, and while it is not perfect we need one for the Canadian Nations . So under the PST Canada gets X fish, using the Canadian Nation to Nation philosophy FN should get Y% of X Commercial should get N% and rec Z%. Get the mechanism enshrined in law and we are then operating at a level that is transparent and measurable for all parties.

Back