Urgent Need to Send Ltr. Re DFO Fraser Chinook Plans

The fopo committee already passed a motion to do just that. Sadly do to covid all committees have been suspended from what I’ve been able to tell.
Frustrating as it is we need to keep the faith and keep pushing.

I may get some slack for this post but quite honestly, I don't care. It's my honest opinion. We did the EXACT same thing last year.. and it DID NOT work... The folks who represented our interests worked hard last year and I can tell they are working their asses off this year... But we got NOTHING that was asked...

Last year, I wrote many letters, called DFO and left voicemail messages and sent personal letters to a number of DFO and gov officials... and so did many of you... We were given the false hope that DFO wants our opinion and advice on the future direction of the chinook fishery.. It made it sound like we had a say in the process and we were all hoping that even if they didn't give us all that we asked for, the evidence that was presented surely would give us some leverage and negotiating power. But NOTHING... NADA...

So I ask everyone here... why are we continuing to send letters when we know for a fact(since we went through this same sham 12 months ago and got screwed over) that it didn't and wont' work? Comes on guys, let's wake up and smell the coffee. The decision is likely already made. Our only option is to make a lot of noise and tell them where to go so that they end up changing what's already penciled in before they publicly announce it at the end of June. We need a different approach in addition to letters. Perhaps a social media campaign? I don't know.. What I do know is letters alone is not enough and will do squat for us.

I guess you should bury your head in the sand and call it a day, @the butcher ! The SFAB has done a huge amount of work to get this proposal in front of DFO and needs support from all concerned fishers. There is a Social Media campaign by SFI and Public Fishery Alliance underway and many other actions happening, but failure to contribute a letter just means that the effort is going to loose its impact. I know its frustrating, but we have to join together and bring a big voice in support of the SFAB Chinook proposals!

You're right, of the 10 or 12 sent I got 2 lame responses and never from the minister.
no more for me, waste of time.
@scott craven this is not the time to throw your hat down and quit. Without your support and that of other Forum participants the SFAB Chinook proposal will have a reduced impact. You need to step up to the plate and write a Letter!

I guess you should bury your head in the sand and call it a day, @the butcher ! The SFAB has done a huge amount of work to get this proposal in front of DFO and needs support from all concerned fishers. There is a Social Media campaign by SFI and Public Fishery Alliance underway and many other actions happening, but failure to contribute a letter just means that the effort is going to loose its impact. I know its frustrating, but we have to join together and bring a big voice in support of the SFAB Chinook proposals!

There was a lot of work done by SFAB and others last year as well. As I mentioned, I appreciate they are working hard for all of our interests. As I stated in my original post, writing letter will do Nothing. We tried this aporoach last year and it did nothing. We didn't even get scraps thrown at us such as selective area opening where target species of concern do not visit(eg gulf islands) and hatchery and marked fish etc...

If writing letters will have an impact, I would spend days and days writing letters. I am a man of logic and common sense. If a specific approach didn't work in the past and won't work in the future, why go through the effort? In my opinion, throwing in the towel is doing something like writing letters that has no impact to the decision. Hoping one day that DFO will magically change and alter their decisions because they are a reasonable, calculated and base their decisions of sound logic. If this is the case we wouldn't be in this position right now.

Perhaps the answer is to write letters as a bare minimum in addition to other things... But it just rely on letters alone will not get what we want accomplished.

Social media blasts, a petition with enough signatures to get their attention, demonstrations outside DFO offices, demonstrations on the water, etc... The point I am making is more needs to be done.

What about shutting down the entrance to the Legislature or block some major port. It seems that other groups did it recently and got plenty of attention and to my knowledge no charges were ever brought before the courts. I’m not suggesting violence. Just good old civil disobedience. Seems everything else in the tool box has been used without success.

While I agree that repeating the exact same tactics tried last year and expecting a different result is a bad idea, equally bad is people sitting back and waiting for someone to do something to save their fishery! These efforts are all bound to fail badly because there is so much apathy in the Rec fishery....and so many people within our community are advocating the DO NOTHING plan. RUBBISH.

If every one of the 300,000 license holders wrote a letter, made social media posts, visited their local Chamber of Commerce asking for help, spoke to or emailed your local mayor or MP.......that would create a wave of influence.

But, sitting back and tossing in the towel is for quitters. If ever there was a great time for our community to push back, it is now...when so many people are not able to go to work and have a little time on their hands. Stop complaining and start writing letters, calling MP's, contacting your Mayors, Chambers etc.

There was a lot of work done by SFAB and others last year as well. As I mentioned, I appreciate they are working hard for all of our interests. As I stated in my original post, writing letter will do Nothing. We tried this aporoach last year and it did nothing. We didn't even get scraps thrown at us such as selective area opening where target species of concern do not visit(eg gulf islands) and hatchery and marked fish etc...

If writing letters will have an impact, I would spend days and days writing letters. I am a man of logic and common sense. If a specific approach didn't work in the past and won't work in the future, why go through the effort? In my opinion, throwing in the towel is doing something like writing letters that has no impact to the decision. Hoping one day that DFO will magically change and alter their decisions because they are a reasonable, calculated and base their decisions of sound logic. If this is the case we wouldn't be in this position right now.

Perhaps the answer is to write letters as a bare minimum in addition to other things... But it just rely on letters alone will not get what we want accomplished.

Social media blasts, a petition with enough signatures to get their attention, demonstrations outside DFO offices, demonstrations on the water, etc... The point I am making is more needs to be done.
It's always great to be an ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK! I suggest that if you have some ideas, then you step up to the plate and start putting them into action. Otherwise don't complain when you right to fish Chinook is gone for good!

Some well informed individuals have put a huge amount of time into putting together a plan that is supported by science and data. They have met with senior DFO staff and the Minister herself. I am sure they don't view these efforts as a waste of time like you do!

While I agree that repeating the exact same tactics tried last year and expecting a different result is a bad idea, equally bad is people sitting back and waiting for someone to do something to save their fishery! These efforts are all bound to fail badly because there is so much apathy in the Rec fishery....and so many people within our community are advocating the DO NOTHING plan. RUBBISH.

If every one of the 300,000 license holders wrote a letter, made social media posts, visited their local Chamber of Commerce asking for help, spoke to or emailed your local mayor or MP.......that would create a wave of influence.

But, sitting back and tossing in the towel is for quitters. If ever there was a great time for our community to push back, it is now...when so many people are not able to go to work and have a little time on their hands. Stop complaining and start writing letters, calling MP's, contacting your Mayors, Chambers etc.

VERY WELL SAID @searun !

It's always great to be an ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK! I suggest that if you have some ideas, then you step up to the plate and start putting them into action. Otherwise don't complain when you right to fish Chinook is gone for good!

Some well informed individuals have put a huge amount of time into putting together a plan that is supported by science and data. They have met with senior DFO staff and the Minister herself. I am sure they don't view these efforts as a waste of time like you do!

Hey hey... Let's not get nasty. Before you start judging and sitting on your high mighty horse and tell me that my opinions are not valid, what have you done to help the cause?

I have made some suggestions in previous posts but you decide to just read the latest one and judge me. I suggested social media campaigns, rallys, petitions and even sated that it more can be done in addition to just Letters. I have given credit to the SFAB and others who are working hard. Ive never said they are wasting their time so don't go making accusations based on assumptions. I said more needs to done and that's my opinion. But I am one guy and unless the entire sport fishing industry stands up and puts more effort we are done. If you think sending letters and sitting back and having a few groups who speak to DFO will work this time around you are mistaken. I don't advocate the do nothing approach. Actually my opinion is completely the opposite. I advocate we need to do much much more.

When everything is striped and we have been robbed of all opportunities except for a few meager pieces of scraps, we will all wish we would have done more and taken more aggressive means.

Last edited:
Hey hey... Let's not get nasty. Before you start judging and sitting on your high mighty horse and tell me that my opinions are not valid, what have you done to help the cause?

I have made some suggestions in previous posts but you decide to just read the latest one and judge me. I suggested social media campaigns, rallys, petitions and even sated that it more can be done in addition to just Letters. I have given credit to the SFAB and others who are working hard. Ive never said they are wasting their time so don't go making accusations based on assumptions. I said more needs to done and that's my opinion. But I am one guy and unless the entire sport fishing industry stands up and puts more effort we are done. If you think sending letters and sitting back and having a few groups who speak to DFO will work this time around you are mistaken. I don't advocate the do nothing approach. Actually my opinion is completely the opposite. I advocate we need to do much much more.

When everything is striped and we have been robbed of all opportunities except for a few meager pieces of scraps, we will all wish we would have done more and taken more aggressive means.

Have you read any of @cohochinook posts? Off the top of my head I can name three things he’s doing to help.

Started a social media campaign. Started a web page. He also organized a rally last year outside DFO office.

Keep up the good work guys! I will send in another letter (I feel like it’s the least I can do. Between working full time still and trying to raise two young kids.)

What are you going to do to help besides ***** on a fishing forum?

Edit- email sent. Copied and pasted email address for Serengeti post and sent a quick email off. Took 10 min.

Last edited:

Not trying to cast anything negative against trying, however when you write your MP'S and
DFO minister over and over with no response you can't blame people for being discouraged.

Last edited:
It’s made a difference it’s just not easily seen.

Government is slow to move and remember that they were not sitting because there was an election. Parliament was empty for about 9 months but all one has to do is read the Minutes of the fopo committee to see that there was a fire put under some mp asses.

Have you read any of @cohochinook posts? Off the top of my head I can name three things he’s doing to help.

Started a social media campaign. Started a web page. He also organized a rally last year outside DFO office.

Keep up the good work guys! I will send in another letter (I feel like it’s the least I can do. Between working full time still and trying to raise two young kids.)

What are you going to do to help besides ***** on a fishing forum?

If I spoke out of turn then I taken it back. Last year, I wrote many letters to DFO personnel, talked to MPs and politicians, left countless voicemail messages, educated everyone that I knew about the cause, volunteered countless hours and made a few donations to a number of fish and wildlife foundations and fish hatcheries.. We all share a common concern and common goal here.... My original opinion was simple...i don't believe that taking the same course and strategy as last years will be successful. Not doubt there are people who are working hard. But if we can't accept the fact that doing the same thing as last year will not result in a different outcome, then we mind as well hang up the gear and be ready for a worst case scenario. No amount of hope or positivity will change the outcome. That's my opinion and I will and can respect others who don't feel the same way.

There is a lot being done besides writing a letter. You may not see actions like the protest that was held last year, especially with the challenging situation of covid-19.

The Sport Sport Fishing Institute and numerous other groups have endorsed writing a letter. The amount of time that some people on this forum have spent bitching about it, they could have had one written by now. It takes 10 or 15 minutes to send an email with some points. I'll leave it at that!

Last edited:
There is a lot being done besides writing a letter. You may not see actions like the protest that was held last year, especially with the challenging situation of covid-19.

The Sport Sport Fishing Institute and numerous other groups have endorsed writing a letter. The amount of time that some people on this forum have spent bitching about it, they could have had one written by now. It takes 10 or 15 minutes to send an email with some points. I'll leave it at that!

Does it make more sense for us to mail in our letters rather than email? Emails are too easy to get lost in the junk/spam folder as most of us have Gmail/hotmail/telus personal email accounts rather than a business email address. If in fact it will make a difference I am willing to send multiple emails this year as I did last year. But my point is I am not confident it will be opened let alone read. Pressing delete is too easy. While it's more effort to write a letter on paper and go to the post office or drop off at mailbox, at least it will be something that is tangible and highly visible. But same as emails, it needs to be done with a large number to make an impact.

Back