Urgent Need to Send Ltr. Re DFO Fraser Chinook Plans

Back when the decision came down we were not negotiating on a nation to nation basis. Now we should be. We have the Pacific Salmon Treaty where the fishery allocations are divided between Canada and the US, and while it is not perfect we need one for the Canadian Nations . So under the PST Canada gets X fish, using the Canadian Nation to Nation philosophy FN should get Y% of X Commercial should get N% and rec Z%. Get the mechanism enshrined in law and we are then operating at a level that is transparent and measurable for all parties.

And guess how happy we are with the halibut quota system? Aren't we fighting this to the nail too? So, you wish to have the same for salmon now?

And guess how happy we are with the halibut quota system? Aren't we fighting this to the nail too? So, you wish to have the same for salmon now?
not trying to pick a fight, but how would you propose that our aces to the fish is granted? How many halibut do you think we would be allowed without the quota? I only ask because I don't see a better way and what we are doing right now isn't working for us

1. Here are just some of the groups commenting on your recreational fishery. They got your back, are you willing to risk not writing a letter? My all time fav comment is the one about the rec fishery being non-essential during covid and it should be closed...........................oh, and give us an early fishery in the same areas closed to the rec fishery starting May 1.....hmmm, toss.......under.....the bus or what?
  2. p.png

p.png

1. Here are just some of the groups commenting on your recreational fishery. They got your back, are you willing to risk not writing a letter? My all time fav comment is the one about the rec fishery being non-essential during covid and it should be closed...........................oh, and give us an early fishery in the same areas closed to the rec fishery starting May 1.....hmmm, toss.......under.....the bus or what?
  2. p.png
p.png

Brutal

Last edited:
MCC wants are also extremely interesting. Mmmm.
Oh yeah, they are advancing some really interesting commentary on the rec fishery. Maybe when some of us strongly encourage people to provide catch data, guide logbooks, DNA they will now understand why.....

p.png

S

While insane and who knows what dfo takes from that and advances, one thing I know they won't is mandatory creel surveying of guides due to fact they just dont have the budget for it....if they did I honestly wouldn't be against that, but at same time, I am not going to give any because every time public fishery gives anything they take a MILE!! REMEMBER THAT. Could do mandatory log books due every 2 weeks or something though....

By now you may have had a chance to review our post from yesterday re: the proposed chinook management plans presented by the Sport Fish Advisory Board to DFO for consideration – if you haven’t check out the link here!

https://mcusercontent.com/…/April_9th_FINAL_SFAB_2020_2021_…

We urge you to consider writing a letter to DFO and elected officials to express the importance of access and opportunity for you! Not sure what to write? Check out some tips from our friends Pacific Angler on what you might want to consider including in your letter.

Points to mention:
•You support the proposed Chinook Retention Proposals, be specific about your area in your response.
•You expect science-based management decisions that respect all Canadian’s rights to access water and associated stocks of non-concern.
•You spend a lot of money on your boat, moorage, gas, supplies and you support the local economy in doing so.
•You should have the right to harvest chinook stocks that are healthy, especially if stocks of concern are not encountered.
•You expect DFO to vigorously pursue real solutions to save endangered chinook stocks
-increasing patrols to remove illegal gill nets in the
Fraser River
-emergency hatchery production
-restoration of habitat
-removal of select seals that are devastating out
migrating chinook smolts
•Canada only clips 10% of our chinook and you support the mass marking of all hatchery chinook and quickly.
•If we clipped all of our chinook the science shows the mark rate in our local waters in April, May, June would be in excess of 50% and you support a hatchery retention fishery (marked selective fishery) in these months instead of a blanket closure.
•Remind them you are a taxpayer and a voter, you are not going away, this issue is not going away, and you will vote accordingly in the next election.

Send your letter to Fisheries Minister Jordan and the DFO Pacific Salmon Team

Minister Jordan: min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
DFO’s Pacific Salmon Team: DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Rebecca Reid, DFO Regional Director General: rebecca.reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Andrew Thomson, DFO Regional Director: andrew.thomson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Terri Bonnet, DFO Area Director, Fraser & Interior: terri.bonnet@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Dean Allan, Resource Management Program Co-ordinator: dean.allan@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Jeff Grout, DFO Regional Resource Manager: jeff.grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Sport Fishing Institute of BC: info@sportfishing.bc.ca

Also consider sending to Fisheries Critics:
NDP: Gord Johns: gord.johns@parl.gc.ca
Conservative: Mel Arnold: Mel.arnold@parl.gc.ca

DFO is accepting feedback on these proposals now. We need letters of support by Monday, April 20th at midnight.

Remember - It doesn’t have to be long, one paragraph will do. I know you wrote letters last year, and we need you to do it again. This consistent pressure is the only means to change. We can’t do it without your letters. Let’s get our public fishery back! It is only through public pressure that DFO will adopt these proposals and transition into mass marking of all hatchery produced chinook.

Maybe when some of us strongly encourage people to provide catch data, guide logbooks
ALREADY did and what did they do... or right shut us down... ..
When they completely close area for NON retention people dont fish Pat I dont understand why you dont understand that, last year the marinas in sooke were a ghost town .. there was a day beginning of july when it was flat sunny a GREAT 9 am flood at otter and I was there by myself I only saw 6 boast from harbour to sheringham and some were halibut fishing , you can preach data data data but when no one is fishing how are you going to get data. they have it and YOU know that...... Doug and alot of other guides have been submitting for many years point is the DFO choose to ignore it and not use it. LIKE ive said before if they want data again they have to let us fish then people will fish. Your lucky as you still get to keep fish where you are (for now)....

Roy you might want to read the MCC recommendation regarding log books. Their proposal is a whole lot more work and cost for you as a guide than what we have been asked to provide on a voluntary basis. You can call it "preaching" but frankly what I'm saying is to help yourself and our public fishery by providing data on your guest's daily catch as a guide. Your future/their future depends on it. Not to mention, it is a requirement already under the Fisheries Act. DFO is just being nice to you by asking for a volunteer effort - and the current version is free of charge.

Don't worry, keep thinking you somehow have a "choice" when there are others who are pressuring DFO to stop being nice and make this mandatory...and they want you to pay for the right to enjoy that by going through a paid service provider just like the commercial fleet does now. One of the reasons other stakeholders are now demanding we pay for guide monitoring is because we haven't demonstrated we can be trusted to provide that data reliably on a voluntary basis. I'm thinking it won't be long now with the kind of pressure being applied to DFO. Hunker down the wheels of government turn slowly, but they are turning in this direction.

The MCC and other stakeholders are demanding that DFO makes mandatory full catch log reporting, and they are also saying no data = no fishing. Areas that don't provide data...close them down. Take a close read - I'm not making this crap up.

That is the stuff those who are in meetings fighting for your opportunity to fish face every day....and without data to put in the rusted old gun, we have been sent into battle with no hope of winning the fight.

Read the tea leaves before it is too late to find a way to make a voluntary (free of charge) program work...if it isn't already too late.

When along the lines did we forget that guides are not commercial fisherman they are not selling there catch they are selling that they own a boat and most will probably up your chances of catching a fish if you go with them
@wolf has been saying this for years and I’m starting to think he’s right they do not care about letters or data there trying to divide and concour and sadly enough it’s working

When along the lines did we forget that guides are not commercial fisherman they are not selling there catch they are selling that they own a boat and most will probably up your chances of catching a fish if you go with them

It’s remarkably easy to make an argument that guides are commercial fishermen.

I think the argument is that if you can accurately capture the data from guides then you have a good picture on the whole rec fleet. Guide data is also far more reliable because they are professionals.

Last edited:
It’s remarkably easy to make an argument that guides are commercial fishermen.

I think the argument is that if you can accurately capture the data from guides then you have a good picture on the whole rec fleet. Guide data is also far more reliable because they are professionals.

But guides catch probably 5x the average rec boat ... would they take that into account ?!

We need the sport sector to be alive and well in BC. It promotes conservation, it keeps eyes on the water, it enhances people’s view of our backyard and how sacred it is. Let’s hope restrictions are temporary. I’m tired of seeing poaching and lots of cermemonial black market fishing.

Attachments

• 702EDE7C-EB23-4ADB-B6F2-80A93FF7948E.jpeg
    702EDE7C-EB23-4ADB-B6F2-80A93FF7948E.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 26
But guides catch probably 5x the average rec boat ... would they take that into account ?!

You would not apply guide data to not guided rec data. Guide data would be just that guide data.

It would be a different data set but it would capture with 100% certainty a good portion over the overall rec fishery.

The only uncertainty that would be left would be non guide data and the vodoo that’s applied to it.

I suppose the alternative is some sort of mandatory system for everyone but then guides would loose control over the process. Honestly to do nothing is just going to put your fate and your data into someone else’s vodoo hands. That is probably an dfo armchair biologist that has never been on the water in their life or fished.

You would not apply guide data to not guided rec data. Guide data would be just that guide data.

It would be a different data set but it would capture with 100% certainty a good portion over the overall rec fishery.

The only uncertainty that would be left would be non guide data and the vodoo that’s applied to it.

I suppose the alternative is some sort of mandatory system for everyone but then guides would loose control over the process. Honestly to do nothing is just going to put your fate and your data into someone else’s vodoo hands. That is probably an dfo armchair biologist that has never been on the water in their life or fished.

I’ll chance it with current system hahaha cause I don’t trust dfo

Back