Tuna fishing with an under 28' boat

I looked at this clipper craft 23' he wanted 19,999 usd he build it for tuna fishing and ran it out of Westport wa. Clipper crafts are dory that were build and used to commercial fish. They ran them over the Columbia Bar and i would say that place could be the nasty piece of water in the Pacific north west.

77cf5511841a2878f156eef04ddcf5f3.jpg

I'd lean to this being true...BUT not everyone goes and spends top dollar to get quality equipment. I could go to a dealer, have a new engine installed in my boat and be out the door for like 15k for just the motor and install. Or I can source the new motor myself, using a more direct supplier, and install it myself for less than 9k. Same motor, less money. If I paid someone to do all the work I do on my boat it would be worth well over 25k, probably 30..., but I do it ALL myself, so it will be under. Same boat, less money. That's the angle I am looking from when I say 'under 20k' can be done.

FB is totally right on this. What one man gets for 20k isn't not always the same as what another gets for 20k. Being able to do your own welding, fabrication, fiberglass and mechanical work can reduce the cost significantly. Also the market for used boats goes up and down; a 25k boat one season may be a 20k boat another season.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ffshore-have-you-taken-your-25-less-boat.html

Some good read here, quite a few boats that made it back after a tuna or what have you trip.

You get a big boat not for the reason to go fishing when the weather is bad but for returning safe if the weather craps out.

cheers

The debate about what's the right combination of boat, motor etc. for a safe offshore trip can get a little tedious. Sensible people know that safety is paramount, but some people take it to ridiculous extremes. Just because a 14 foot tinnie does not sensibly belong 40 miles offshore does not also mean that without a 30 footer and twin engines you're crazy to be out there. As one guy in that thread said:

"We landed and took off from the moon with one engine... don't be a bunch of kitty cats.

If fear was in control we'd still be sitting on the beach in Europe... looking west."

As one guy in that thread said:

"We landed and took off from the moon with one engine... don't be a bunch of kitty cats...."

And I'm willing to bet that it wasn't an outboard they used to do it!!

Ha, Interesting discussion here.

I agree with FB that he may be able to do it for 20k but you better have a good idea about your build. I have had big setbacks out there in a new boat because of stupid stuff like poor positioning on fuel vents which allowed water into the fuel. Ran back to town taking a half cup of water out of the raycor every 15 minutes. Lame!! I then learned how to purge the fuel system on my 2 stroke optimax for future trips. I have not moved the vents yet but I did have to replace them with a different style to stop the water coming in. All the same stupid stuff will happen on a new boat and an old boat even with new power. A kill switch could break a boat down. I am always surprised how long it takes guys to figure out that their boat wont start because the kill switch is out. Occasionally it has stumped me in the past but now I make a point of removing it so that my crew knows to check it first if the motor will not start but turns over.
Whats interesting is there is no school or book about operating small crafts detailing the far off shore issue here that I am aware of. While I am running on of the smallest boats out there I do feel confident from my 19 years of fishing and surfing in this area. Even the SVOP is very VERY vague about weather and ocean conditions etc....pathetic.

Question: Would you rather fish tuna on a day with no wind with seas at 5 ft at 6 sec or seas 10 feet at 20 seconds with no surface interference?.

The point of my "rant" is that there is allot of stuff to know about being out there and hopefully nobody ruins it for the rest of us. Currently we all have the right to do it with little regulation and that is fantastic.

The point of my "rant" is that there is allot of stuff to know about being out there and hopefully nobody ruins it for the rest of us. Currently we all have the right to do it with little regulation and that is fantastic.

I think by putting out there the seriousness and talking about it on here and other forums is a good thing. Hopefully anyone thinking about trying it will heed the advice given by those like yourself that have been doing this for quite a while.

Question: Would you rather fish tuna on a day with no wind with seas at 5 ft at 6 sec or seas 10 feet at 20 seconds with no surface interference?.
[/QUOTE]

Both of those conditions work for me since I have worked out a way to anchor while out there, just need more rope on the 10 ft seas. I'll take an empty 45 gallon plastic barrel (which is light), once at anchor point in the Tuna grounds, I fill it with water, which is very heavy, toss it over board and I have a heavy anchor to keep safe.

Both of those conditions work for me since I have worked out a way to anchor while out there, just need more rope on the 10 ft seas. I'll take an empty 45 gallon plastic barrel (which is light), once at anchor point in the Tuna grounds, I fill it with water, which is very heavy, toss it over board and I have a heavy anchor to keep safe.[/QUOTE]

???? Do you mean 'Halibut' when you type 'Tuna'?... and a water filled barrel in water is still just a barrel ( unless you have access to 'heavy water' - looooool)

Both of those conditions work for me since I have worked out a way to anchor while out there, just need more rope on the 10 ft seas. I'll take an empty 45 gallon plastic barrel (which is light), once at anchor point in the Tuna grounds, I fill it with water, which is very heavy, toss it over board and I have a heavy anchor to keep safe.

???? Do you mean 'Halibut' when you type 'Tuna'?... and a water filled barrel in water is still just a barrel ( unless you have access to 'heavy water' - looooool)[/QUOTE]

It could be Halibut, Tuna or whatever, I just see what floats to the surface after setting some explosives down there, I just hope they do not damage my anchor rope to that barrel. And remember, it is not just a barrel, it is filled with water, which is heavy.

Remember, stay smart and stay safe.

Speaking of Pangas- there's the words of wisdom from a Fijian I fished with around the Great Astrolabe Reef-as remote a place as you could imagine-"You must always have pliers & a knife".

That & a 40 horse Yamaha kept him safe through some very challenging conditions and very long lonely runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just see what floats to the surface after setting some explosives down there, I just hope they do not damage my anchor rope to that barrel. And remember, it is not just a barrel, it is filled with water, which is heavy.

care to elaborate on this technique a little more...? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what you are talking about...

care to elaborate on this technique a little more...? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what you are talking about...

Well, chemicals spoil the meat, so I use dynamite. It is effective with a delayed charge, but once again, be careful of the rope to the barrel you use.

Ohh, and since safety is first, remember to never set the charge on your dynamite while on route, and do not store dynamite in your engine compartment. Be safe out there.

Ohh, and since safety is first, remember to never set the charge on your dynamite while on route, and do not store dynamite in your engine compartment. Be safe out there.
Tha's why outboards are better, no engine compartment to store dynamite. Good thinking Steel, I agree, safety first.

It is clear that only dumb people with no thoughts of safety would take a 20K boat offshore, while we self-righteous folk with lots of money gloat over how dumb people with little money try to make it work. I love my 2010 30' twin outboard, but if you are poor and cannot afford a $50 000 boat, then best to stay in the shopping mall looking for candy dishes. The water and fishing is for the rich only.

It is clear that only dumb people with no thoughts of safety would take a 20K boat offshore, while we self-righteous folk with lots of money gloat over how dumb people with little money try to make it work. I love my 2010 30' twin outboard, but if you are poor and cannot afford a $50 000 boat, then best to stay in the shopping mall looking for candy dishes. The water and fishing is for the rich only.

Hard to tell but I hope he's being sarcastic.

brilliant!! ;)

What I was interested in was a decent 28 and under foot boat, but this thread turned into who is safe and who is not, so it is good to add that outboards are more safe than inboards, since it is tough to store dynamite in the engine compartment if you have and outboard. Let's get back to a good under 28' hull!

Back