Tuna fishing with an under 28' boat

About the hull... I have a 23' Monaro that I trust to take me anywhere (well, water that you could stand up in, once you got there ) so forgive me if this suggestion sounds bias... ha
Check out the Monaro website - When I first read this thread I thought I saw a boat that would suit - 24' w 43KAD volvo - $22,000 - go haggle and good luck

About the hull... I have a 23' Monaro that I trust to take me anywhere (well, water that you could stand up in, once you got there ) so forgive me if this suggestion sounds bias... ha
Check out the Monaro website - When I first read this thread I thought I saw a boat that would suit - 24' w 43KAD volvo - $22,000 - go haggle and good luck

Thanks, the Monaros come close to my budget, and the one you point out looks great.

I guess the most basic question is this, 'what hulls around 22-24' are affordable?" If the power is crap, then a guy buys new/different power. But the hull is the hull, its design is the way it is, no changes there. So what hull?

I'm pretty bias towards aluminum if they have been properly looked after with zincs etc. but your going to have a hard time finding one that size with power for that kind of money. I am always impressed by the ride in fishtofino's Hourston. Mind you his is probably the most customized Hourston out there. He seems to be able to go faster in the rough stuff than anyone following him ;).

Or you could look at the question similar to this:
I love jet boating on rivers fishing steal head and sturgeon and stuff but I decided to not buy a jet boat and fish with guides instead. Its almost a no brianer as far as cost but for the 2-3 hundred it cost me and a buddy each for a day of fishing on the river I have done nothing but save money fishing with guides apposed to having my own jet. Plus all the benefits of being with a guide are sweet!
What I am basically saying is there are a fair handful of boats out there that would be more that happy to take a guy who covered his share of fuel and a little extra for oil and lures etc. Geesh my boat is $10/hour in service fees alone and very few of my buddies pay for that or morage or repairs or parking,nothing, just fuel which is really only 75 to 80% of the cost of a tuna trip. Now some one may pipe up and say that paying more than ones share of fuel is guiding but I don't think so. Just sayin.

Remember that during the prime season on may only get 6 days of good weather. This year was a good one I think weather wise. I live here so in a sense I am always standing by for a trip and many mornings we just pulled the pin and some mornings we drove out 4 or 5 miles just to turn around and go home because it was rough, windy or not. I would be hesitant about towing a boat over from the other side of the island for weather events that make tuna fishing possible but Skulpins doing it with some success. Buy weather forecasting subscriptions!!!!!!! This was probably by best advantage I had this year.

The Tuna shootout is a very good opportunity for the above idea.

I do however understand the enjoyment of being the captain on a tuna boat!!!LOL

OMG!!! PAN PAN_PAN PAN _PAN PAN You got an inboard!!!! IMO

I am always impressed by the ride in fishtofino's Hourston.

Length and weight are two advantages for good rides. The more my boat is loaded the nicer it is to be in otherwise MT it weighs 3000lbs and its a rash to ride in but still far better that some light glass boats that are out there. Thank goodness for trim tabs.

Very good points and some stuff to consider for sure Birdsnest about the cost and logistics. If I didn't own a lot a Salmon Beach and I wasn't on the West Coast most of the summer than I would probably be hopping on other folks boats still. I still think a trip or two towing and staying in Bamfield, Ucluelet, Tofino, or Winter Harbour is worth it if you can hit the conditions right.

I spent a lot of labour, time researching, and money to get my boat to the point where I was ready to take her out. Even after all that I won't lie and will admit I was nervous as hell lol.. Talking with more experienced captains that have done it a lot helped me big time. Fishtofino, Birdsnest, and others on here and Bloodydecks gave me the confidence and knowledge to go for it.

I went three times this year and there is major satisfaction in taking your own rig out there. Your relationship with your boat grows stronger because of the intimate time you spend with her beforehand getting her ready. When she does a few trips without any hick ups your pretty damn proud of her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Length and weight are two advantages for good rides. The more my boat is loaded the nicer it is to be in otherwise MT it weighs 3000lbs and its a rash to ride in but still far better that some light glass boats that are out there. Thank goodness for trim tabs.

I won't lie in that I am quite jealous of the ride in heavier glass boats. I am not jealous about the fuel bill however lol. Trim tabs are a must.

Your relationship with your boat grows stronger because of the intimate time you spend with her beforehand getting her ready.

This thread turning into a real sexy time!LOL Just kidding.

I understand the statement completely.

This thread turning into a real sexy time!LOL Just kidding.

I understand the statement completely.

Ha ha. I always joke around about relationships with boats as most folks seem to spend more time with them then their spouse's lol.

I would give my vote to a Hourston, but my vote is bias. As far as ride it can't be beat and my back has never been better after a season fishing in mine. The down side is the fuel, in the fact that the old 351w loves it. This winter that will be one of the things that I hope I can fix.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ffshore-have-you-taken-your-25-less-boat.html

Some good read here, quite a few boats that made it back after a tuna or what have you trip.

You get a big boat not for the reason to go fishing when the weather is bad but for returning safe if the weather craps out.

cheers

Thanks for the link Gypseas. I'm still reading through it lol. Pretty interesting stories on there. Those East Coast guys are nuts. Most of them in center consoles (ie open boats) with single outboards with no kicker etc. I have heard a couple of stories from the West Coast as well.

That link alone should give some insight into what folks are doing with there under 28' foot boats for tuna fishing. I don't agree that it's the weather not the boat. I think it's the weather and the boat. Most of those guys are nut's.

You gotta love the West Coast guy's that chime in on that thread on THT.

"I am on the west coast. We have mountains out here and a big ocean. A typical 100 miles run would be to the Tanner or Cortez Bank. We do not have anything out here over a hundred miles out except abyssal depths. When I used to fish the Baja, I felt uncomfortable 10 miles out knowing that there was no USCG and always felt the the local Pangueros would just left you drift (next stop Guatemala) if they heard a radio call for help. Yes EPIRB's are good, and so is a good VHF with a 9db gain antenna. We have a couple of islands out here that are occupied by the military that are radio reachable. Most of my tuna trips are around fifty miles, but really fifty or a hundred does not matter much on that big ocean. I keep my equipment up, plenty of fresh water (30)gals., tell somebody my plan and go for it. I am sixty now and been doing this since my early teens. A couple of years ago a guy in our neighborhood got jumped on by a whale. He was Mr. Tibbs, aboard his Davis 22' Cortez. The name of the boat was BB-Q (Google it) He got killed. He was 14 miles off shore, just off of the Diablo Nuke plant on the central coast of California. You guys keep worrying about this kind of stuff and I am going to sell my boat and sit at home watching TV for now on......."

I wanna meet that guy lol.

No ? I think its a joke that some one would think of heading offshore 60 to 80 miles Tuna fishing in a boat for under 20 k. I see by the following posts that the real price is around 30k. I could go on about the price equipment but that has been done.

I have been caught offshore in fact 2006 first year with the new Hourston, about 60 miles out fishing Lings and Halibut, Very glad I had the boat I did, weather forecast was for 3ft at 9sec, south in the afternoon 10 knots. I was out with another boat a 30 ft Silver Streak, just arrived on the grounds when a severe weather warning was issued, 45 knots from the South offshore and 40 Se West Entrance. Perfect fu-- storm.. Waves sounded like logs bouncing off the hull, it was scary sh--. 7 hrs back to Port Renfrew and we got separated on the way back as you could not see a thing. Radio contact yes..

We are seeing to many anglers offshore in boats that should be in Elk Lake. We see **** out there that is just not believable but true, first up a fellow with a 2 to 3 year old child with an anchor tied to his front cleat on the bow with no scotchman anchored on the SW side of Swiftsure dense fog and 3 to 4 ft chop he had to pull it by hand he climbed onto the bow of a 16ft boat to pull the anchor while the child sat in the seat. He fought with me as I tried to tell him he was anchored in a traffic lane and that sound is not a fog horn its a f-- freighter. Second another fellow anchored again on the SW side in the Traffic lane in dense fog, as more and more anglers are venturing offshore its plain to me we are going to have deaths. Spend the money and get the right equipment and educate yourself on the area or just ask...

It is really not the price of the boat its the price of life.

Whats the question??

No ? I think its a joke that some one would think of heading offshore 60 to 80 miles Tuna fishing in a boat for under 20 k. I see by the following posts that the real price is around 30k. I could go on about the price equipment but that has been done.

I have been caught offshore in fact 2006 first year with the new Hourston, about 60 miles out fishing Lings and Halibut, Very glad I had the boat I did, weather forecast was for 3ft at 9sec, south in the afternoon 10 knots. I was out with another boat a 30 ft Silver Streak, just arrived on the grounds when a severe weather warning was issued, 45 knots from the South offshore and 40 Se West Entrance. Perfect fu-- storm.. Waves sounded like logs bouncing off the hull, it was scary sh--. 7 hrs back to Port Renfrew and we got separated on the way back as you could not see a thing. Radio contact yes..

We are seeing to many anglers offshore in boats that should be in Elk Lake. We see **** out there that is just not believable but true, first up a fellow with a 2 to 3 year old child with an anchor tied to his front cleat on the bow with no scotchman anchored on the SW side of Swiftsure dense fog and 3 to 4 ft chop he had to pull it by hand he climbed onto the bow of a 16ft boat to pull the anchor while the child sat in the seat. He fought with me as I tried to tell him he was anchored in a traffic lane and that sound is not a fog horn its a f-- freighter. Second another fellow anchored again on the SW side in the Traffic lane in dense fog, as more and more anglers are venturing offshore its plain to me we are going to have deaths. Spend the money and get the right equipment and educate yourself on the area or just ask...

I agree 100% with you. I see some ridiculous boats out offshore.

Your sharing of your story about the weather turning like that is not all that uncommon. It's because you had the boat that you did is probably a major reason (besides your experience) that you weren't a statistic. I also have had a few experiences like yours and is the reason i have my overbuilt, extended to 29ft Hourston.....so that i and whomever i have aboard will live to tell the tale.

I also agree with Birdsnest regarding buddy boats...... i am very particular about who i run with....they must have done their due diligence and not be running old equipment or a single motor......on a wing and a prayer. I have blown one of my engines 30+miles offshore and can still maintain 13kn on one of them, it gives you a chance to get to port in a reasonable amount of time if the **** hits the fan.

Once you get about 30 miles offshore she becomes a whole new ocean out there and is why i run multiple gps's, have an epirb and carry cruiser suits for everyone. Sat phone is next. Also, don't get me started on the extra costs to run a boat........$10/hr in service fees is about right but there's so much more.

GREAT point from Casper regarding the extra weight with fuel, ice and hopefully fish......so substitute for power here, with it comes less fuel economy.

And my last point is agreeing again with Birdsnest regarding the ocean conditions. This year was one of the best we have had in the Tofino area for many years for consistant conditions but unusual from what i have seen over the 26 yrs i have fished there. I also get my chances because i am already here and ready to go when the planets align....which, realistically is less than 10 days a year.

If you're trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are just asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean ***** that wants to kill you. My 2 cents worth.

No ? I think its a joke that some one would think of heading offshore 60 to 80 miles Tuna fishing in a boat for under 20 k.

I'd lean to this being true...BUT not everyone goes and spends top dollar to get quality equipment. I could go to a dealer, have a new engine installed in my boat and be out the door for like 15k for just the motor and install. Or I can source the new motor myself, using a more direct supplier, and install it myself for less than 9k. Same motor, less money. If I paid someone to do all the work I do on my boat it would be worth well over 25k, probably 30..., but I do it ALL myself, so it will be under. Same boat, less money. That's the angle I am looking from when I say 'under 20k' can be done.

A boat does not have to have that new boat smell to be running for tuna. That would be like me saying, you've got 600 hours on your outboard, better stop running offshore because some outboards blow up with low hours (but some don't).

Pick your weather, be smart and safe, keep your gear heavily maintained, and more becomes possible. And of course, a buddy boat is a pretty big must. But that doesn't mean have a ******, unreliable boat, and you can team up with someone who's got the be all and end all boat, and go Tuna fishing. We ran out in a smaller boat than most, which translated to twice the ground covered in the same amount of time. Maybe thats a benefit to a smaller boat, maybe not. But when we returned to the dock 2 hrs before the next boat, in daylight, while a few returned under darkness, I was happy to be in a 22', not a 30' boat.

The variables involved in successful and safe Tuna fishing are almost endless.

x2. picking your weather is a good plan for hoping for a nice day offshore. but if you want to go offshore, you need a boat and equipment that can handle the seas as if it was a "didnt pick your weather" day. i also see alot of deaths and problems coming out of the west coast with this tuna fishery becoming more popular. guys are going to be risking the run out because it looks nice and running into bad weather, equipment problems, or running out of fuel. Sorry, not every boat can or should be heading 60 miles off shore. just because you like your boat and havnt had problems with it, doesnt mean its good to go out there. a big boat, good reliable equipment and power, preferably twin motors, and more than the minimum safety equipment is required. but do what you want, your money and life.

Back