Tsawwassen Bass Pro Shop

I was there yesterday morning for the gongshow. Massive store. Blows Cabelas in Nanaimo out of the water for both size and display. The boating section is crazy. Amazing to think you can buy a single fly or a new 250 hp motor for your boat in one place.

Only really good deal I walked out of there with was flashers for $6.97 a piece. Just the guide series though. Surprised that they don't really have much in the way of plugs or hootchies for salmon. Have a small bottom fishing section and they did have a pretty good selection of jigging lures.

Funny thing about it was, an event like that is similar to Disneyland. So much spectacle and show coupled with a million ways solely designed to drain your wallet of money and a million people whose only purpose is to walk slow or bump into you. I think that just like every kid should see Disneyland once, every dude should see Bass Pro once, lol! I will say the aquarium that they have in there is insane. Definately have to see that in person. It's even got a fairly decent size sturgeon in there!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 145
Bass Pro already in hot water ... as this report states in the Vancouver Sun.

The highly touted Bass Pro Shops mega outdoor store at Tsawwassen Mills is only a few days old, but already finds itself swimming in controversy.

As visitors enter the 180,000-square-foot hunting and fishing store, they are greeted by a long diorama of stuffed wildlife, including beaver, caribou, elk, moose, wolves, bison and grizzly bears — the trophy hunting of which is a leading environmental issue in B.C.

But it’s the live “education aquarium” that is raising eyebrows.

A Bass Pro sign states that the aquarium contains white sturgeon, Arctic char, chinook and coho salmon, and cutthroat and rainbow trout, although several of the tank’s fish display unnatural features.

Tim Yesaki is vice-president of operations of the Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C., which contributed cutthroat trout to the aquarium in hopes of generating public interest in native species. The other fish, including “discoloured (white) and disfigured” specimens, were donated by private interests, he said in an interview.

“Our logo is the only one up there so people might associate those ugly fish with us. I don’t think you’d catch one of those fish in the wild because they come from private fish farms and they’re reared in tanks and that’s why they’ve taken on those colours and are disfigured.”

He said he has expressed his concerns to the company, noting the fish “are a little alarming.”

The aquarium also features a white sturgeon — a threatened species in the wild in the lower Fraser River. This one came from a commercial farm, Target Marine, on the Sunshine Coast.

Rather than swimming naturally, the sturgeon is positioned at an angle with its nose above the surface.

Yesaki’s society also operates sturgeon hatcheries and noted that when sturgeon are moved to a new tank they can swim with their nose out of the water. Sturgeon may also swim with their nose at the surface as a feeding behaviour in captivity.

Bass Pro has informed the society that based on past experience sturgeon can behave that way due to the stress of suddenly being surrounded by other species of fish. “It can take a while for them to settle down in an new environment with all the other fish around,” Yesaki said.

He added: “We’re absolutely concerned about the welfare of any fish. Bass Pro is going to monitor it and let us know if it, in fact, settles down.”

Chris Finnegan, Bass Pro support manager, said no one was available to speak to the issue on Thursday. He referred Postmedia to the company’s press office, but no one immediately returned an email message

Was there this morning, much calmer than when I drove by on Wednesday morning (traffic was backed up to the Ladner turnoff).
Picked up some of the flashers for $6.97 but that was it.
It's an impressive store, The staff were really helpful but their regular prices seem about the same as the retailers on the island.
I took a couple of photos of the fish tank, when I could get close enough to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 166
are there any atlantic salmon in there? oh, I forgot, that costs too much money trying to farm them on land according to the fish farm industry...
sorry Jammer, couldn't resist

Nice to see a new option to shop at locally. However, with the merger/takeover there will be less competition in the marketplace and probably store closures as well.

Do they have bait? I sometimes grab a late ferry to Duke point, drive to Ukee and launch at daylight, so the stores I pass are never open.

Do they have bait? I sometimes grab a late ferry to Duke point, drive to Ukee and launch at daylight, so the stores I pass are never open.

There used to be 24hr gas stations that you could grab bait at in the old days. Now a days it's hard to get at any time. Seems to me a guy needs to invent a bait machine, like the pop machines and locate them at our public ramps.

I haven't gone there to check it out yet. I would think they'd have bait. I'll let you know if I swing by there.

buy it by the case and you never have to worry about it again... so much easier and way cheaper

Its a oversized tee-shirt store IMO, I found it very disappointing.
Typical Canadian retail (gouge) not even in line with their US stores on many items I looked at.
They had a few items cheap for a draw but the rest was a more than most the local sports shops.

The radio reports stated there were 4 hour waits for people trying to get out of the parking lot due to all the traffic. They reported some people were running out of gas and other people were driving over/ thru the medians to get out of there.
Glad I didn't go there this weekend.

The radio reports stated there were 4 hour waits for people trying to get out of the parking lot due to all the traffic. They reported some people were running out of gas and other people were driving over/ thru the medians to get out of there.
Glad I didn't go there this weekend.

Wow that is insane

20161010_153754.jpg 20161010_153754.jpg 20161010_233648.jpg 20161010_233356.jpg 20161010_153916.jpg Yesterday I went to bass pro shop. This store is reallly HUGE . Amazing Ton of trophy fish and animals. I can't believe there are so many rods and raffles . The sturgeon is deformed and stress. I think the tank needs to do water changed or giving more air. There are some albino trout, deformed trout. Coho and Chinook are looking good about 5 lbs. I bought flashers are great deal at $7.00.

Fish Local? Support your local hunting and fishing stores!!
Not only does it support members of the community we live in but they are the ones who take strides in salmon conservation through derbys and support initiatives.

Stillwater Sports, 15 minutes from the mall. Great staff, excellent local knowledge.
Pacific Net and Twine - 30 mins from the mall. Also top-notch staff and local knowledge.

$0.02

So much "controversy." What a beat up.

The highly touted Bass Pro Shops mega outdoor store at Tsawwassen Mills is only a few days old, but already finds itself swimming in controversy.

As visitors enter the 180,000-square-foot hunting and fishing store, they are greeted by a long diorama of stuffed wildlife, including beaver, caribou, elk, moose, wolves, bison and grizzly bears — the trophy hunting of which is a leading environmental issue in B.C.

But it’s the live “education aquarium” that is raising eyebrows.

A Bass Pro sign states that the aquarium contains white sturgeon, Arctic char, chinook and coho salmon, and cutthroat and rainbow trout, although several of the tank’s fish display unnatural features.

Tim Yesaki is vice-president of operations of the Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C., which contributed cutthroat trout to the aquarium in hopes of generating public interest in native species. The other fish, including “discoloured (white) and disfigured” specimens, were donated by private interests, he said in an interview.

“Our logo is the only one up there so people might associate those ugly fish with us. I don’t think you’d catch one of those fish in the wild because they come from private fish farms and they’re reared in tanks and that’s why they’ve taken on those colours and are disfigured.”

He said he has expressed his concerns to the company, noting the fish “are a little alarming.”

The aquarium also features a white sturgeon — a threatened species in the wild in the lower Fraser River. This one came from a commercial farm, Target Marine, on the Sunshine Coast.

Rather than swimming naturally, the sturgeon is positioned at an angle with its nose above the surface.

Yesaki’s society also operates sturgeon hatcheries and noted that when sturgeon are moved to a new tank they can swim with their nose out of the water. Sturgeon may also swim with their nose at the surface as a feeding behaviour in captivity.

Bass Pro has informed the society that based on past experience sturgeon can behave that way due to the stress of suddenly being surrounded by other species of fish. “It can take a while for them to settle down in an new environment with all the other fish around,” Yesaki said.

He added: “We’re absolutely concerned about the welfare of any fish. Bass Pro is going to monitor it and let us know if it, in fact, settles down.”

Chris Finnegan, Bass Pro support manager, said no one was available to speak to the issue on Thursday. He referred Postmedia to the company’s press office, but no one immediately returned an email message

Back