omc 2.5L 120hp and merc 3.0L 140hp interchangeable?

goatman

a guy sold me a 2.5L/120hp omc that was supposed to be a rebuilt turn key 3.0L/140 with 1 hour on it
it wasnt turn key, it looked like he did a head gasket and that was it and "all the parts" were in a box. i told him it wasnt rebuilt the only new gasket was a head gasket and that was it, i need to buy a complete gasket set for the motor then clean it and paint it. the deal wound up being that i keep this motor and he was going to his shop to bring me another 3.0L w/400 hours on it and every 3.0L part in his shop.

he rebuilds marine motors for a living and is a marine mechanic.

going through the box im missing the coil, distributor and starter. i have the carb, alternator and heat exchanger. turns out the motor is a 1966 omc model
cu-14d, 153ci/120hp dual carb motor. the carb he gave me is for a 3.0L and wont bolt to the manifold
hes supposed to bring me everything tonight but i really dont want to hassle with dual carbs, has anyone here thrown on a merc 3.0L manifold/carb on these 2.5L motors?
merc used this block.

also, is there another good boating forum that any of you know of thats better suited for these types of posts?

the answer is no, found it at a jalopy site

they probably keeled over when they read i bought a 60 year old motor
I'm more curious how you can do both a 60 year old motor but also an electric bayliner. Both probably won't work out lol. But you definitely shouldn't have paid anything for a 60 year old OMC motor

i paid more than you want to know 🤪🤪🤪 but the guy offered me a new vp crate motor block/head, looks like an aq 140 from the pics.
think i know where to get the parts to dress it out but i dont like aq's
i still have the 25hp electric, thats my kicker lol
anyone want to buy a aq140 crate motor off me?
maybe ill just get my money back that way from this guy and get a 3.0L somewhere else
you can pm for the price, Corey would drop dead if i said how much.
but a great deal for a new aq;)

Last edited:
Back