Tsawwassen Bass Pro Shop

Went with two of the grankids last week. We all enjoyed it. The amimals looking down on you, the fish tank, the tracks in the floor, all very fascinating to 6 and 8 year olds. The staff were very good to the children, and took the time to tie a fly for them. Not crowded at all. Prices were in line or a bit less then local stores, worth the visit though. Came away with a bunch of catalogues. Coulldn't find any catalogues on firearms, other then BP though. The rest of the mall was a disapointment, same old, same old. I would have to say that if BP is the only anchor store, they may face some problems, once the novelty wears off.

Thread about newly opened big box store in same subforum as a thread about the closure of an independently owned bait and tackle shop. Touch of irony.

Yeah my dealing with the box store made me question why I didn't shop online for the item i was looking for and was not carried by my local guy. At least if you deal with local tackle shops, you for the most part get decent service and knowledgeable help.
IMO the fishing boxstores don't provide particularly good service nor do they really care. Their only saving grace is better selection, which is also available online. Given the overhead of their outdoor Disney stores, you have to wonder how they will compete with an online warehouse

I would wonder how there going to make it in that location. Once the opening glitter goes away. Who going to there? Are people really walking over from Victoria? Are people going to drive there for a box of shells or a flasher for a Saturday trip? I dont think it will last long. Rent cant be cheap there.

Yeah my dealing with the box store made me question why I didn't shop online for the item i was looking for... Given the overhead of their outdoor Disney stores, you have to wonder how they will compete with an online warehouse
They buy the online warehouse/setup their own-they have So Much Money they just buy everything.

For instance look @ Pure Fishing a company that owns at least 16 major brands and who know what percentage of the total market.

Look at history. Has there been a bass pro not make it in any place they researched, marketed and built a store? I know of none. Now with them owning Cabela's they just grabbed a bigger share.

Yes it sucks about local stores going under, however for me I still shop for price when comparing exact item and availability. I asked for the new Penn carnage 2 rods at the local shops and 4 months later nobody had. There were 15 at Toronto Bass Pro, different lengths, weights and power. Why and yes I purchased there. Local shops must stay in the game to get my money. Must plug Gone fishing in Courtenay, they go out of their way to meet or beat most prices and have or get, just I don't live there anymore. But that's just me.

HM

Ya I'll 2nd Gone Fishin in Courtenay. Great service, have priced matched items I'be found somewhere else but would rather spend my $$ there. Always make a point of stopping by whenever I can. Great place!

Exactly N2013

Just stopped in on my way hunting north island, dropped a couple hundred as there were a couple things I just could not leave without. Again service, price and store shelves full.

Never spent any $ in Cabela's or Wholesale on way up. Never met above to get my money and I had spreadsheet list. Did spend 3 hrs in Bass Pro while waiting for ferry on return from hunt in Oct, never spent any money as prices were no better than local.

HM

I was a vegan for a while.

Toughest hour of my life!

Went to Bass Pro tonight looking for a new net... The Gibbs catch and release with the 72" handle it was cheaper at Cabela's but they matched the price without any hassle. Good to know they offer this service I just showed them the price on my phone.

Went to Bass Pro tonight looking for a new net... The Gibbs catch and release with the 72" handle it was cheaper at Cabela's but they matched the price without any hassle. Good to know they offer this service I just showed them the price on my phone.
Same company now isn't it?

Last edited:
Back