Sooke to beachy head - Cell coverage with new towers - Fido Vs Telus/Bell (koodo/Virgin plus)

Hot-Streak

Getting a new cellphone plan. Want to know if anyone has good reception with Fido between secretary and beachy head?

I know rogers put up a few new towers from here to port renfrew.

Black friday deals for cell phone plans start today. I'm currently with Koodo and noticed the cell coverage is good lately

BUT

Looking at Fido coverage map it goes all the way up the coast looks better then the koodo one but it is an "estimated" map.

The plan with Koodo, Fido, Virgin all cost the same ($34 for 30gb plus all the text/calling etc).

what to know if local fisherman here are getting good service on the water.

I’ve used Petro Canada mobility (now Good to Go) for over 20 years (using Rogers towers). I get service all the way to Jordan River. Best of all, you never get a surprise bill for US service. You need your own unlocked phone.
Stosh

Last edited:
Sweet! Koodo has a deal on now $34 for 50gig (and calling/text)

Ya that’s the way to go. Been using Koodo for a couple years, own our devices, Super cheap plans, good coverage & online platform is easy enough to use.

Koodo all the way. Had since the beginning. Rogers has put in towers from Sooke to Port Renfrew. Rogers coverage is really good that way. I got a Rogers SIM card this past summer to check coverage. Its was really good. I have some inside scoop that come Jan 1 / 2024 Telus will be roaming onto these towers from Sooke to Port Renfrew. I am sure this will extended to Koodo as well, but sometimes Telus holds things from Koodo for a few months etc. I am waiting for information on if Koodo will be included in the new coverage Jan 1 / 2024 from Sooke to Port Renfrew. I assume by Feb 1 / 2024 it should happen. I will believe it when it happens, but from I understand its coming.

Moot point now as Telus has made an agreement with Roger’s for the use of those towers.

Reactions: cby
Koodo all the way. Had since the beginning. Rogers has put in towers from Sooke to Port Renfrew. Rogers coverage is really good that way. I got a Rogers SIM card this past summer to check coverage. Its was really good. I have some inside scoop that come Jan 1 / 2024 Telus will be roaming onto these towers from Sooke to Port Renfrew. I am sure this will extended to Koodo as well, but sometimes Telus holds things from Koodo for a few months etc. I am waiting for information on if Koodo will be included in the new coverage Jan 1 / 2024 from Sooke to Port Renfrew. I assume by Feb 1 / 2024 it should happen. I will believe it when it happens, but from I understand its coming.
I read that because the government put in some money for the towers they will have to be shared with all carriers because it was tax payer support.

Reactions: cby
By the way, cell phone plans are coming down, but you gotta ask.
I had mine reduced to $40 with unlimited talk/text and 40GB data.
New customers are getting $34 a month with 50GB as mentioned above.

Last edited:
By the way cell phone plans are coming down, but you gotta ask.
I had mine reduced to $40 with unlimited talk/text and 40GB data.
New customers are getting $34 a month with 50GB as mentioned above.
Which provider? 34 years with Telus, some kid can walk in and get the same airtime plan I am on, no loyalty given, even after threatening to leave.

Koodo.
I had the same issues with Telus. when I asked them for a break they
suggested Koodo
Have you noticed any difference at all in your coverage, customer, service, etc.? I’m going to look into it but want to be sure I don’t have second thoughts down the road. I don’t have a family plan or anything, just single cell phone. I tether my surface pro etc if I’m out.

I’ve gotten a couple emails that Koodo/Telus currently has a promo 100GB, $65, Unlimited Can/US plan. That’s pretty appealing. My current plan is $45 for 60GB + unlimited Canada. I usually just pay the $13/day US roaming whenever I need it which is usually a couple times a year. Just not sure if I want to pony up the extra $20/month if I don’t use it all the time. Plus I hate having service all the time.

I have just received word that Telus / Koodo coverage on Rogers Towers from Sooke to Port Renfrew was completed Oct 24 / 2023.

Ok Update from Telus. The Data roaming to USA won't be fixed until Feb 2024. Which means if you want Telus / Rogers Service out that way, you have to make sure that a Roaming Block is not on your account and you have Data Roaming turned on in your phone. But with this you have the potential to roam to USA Towers as well. The fix they are implementing will avoid all this in due time. They are creating a patch that will allow Telus customers to Roam on Rogers without have to enable Data Roaming.

So I would say it works currently with the possibility of Roaming to USA towers still. I will await till Feb 2024.

Last edited:
I have just received word that Telus / Koodo coverage on Rogers Towers from Sooke to Port Renfrew was completed Oct 24 / 2023.

Ok Update from Telus. The Data roaming to USA won't be fixed until Feb 2024. Which means if you want Telus / Rogers Service out that way, you have to make sure that a Roaming Block is not on your account and you have Data Roaming turned on in your phone. But with this you have the potential to roam to USA Towers as well. The fix they are implementing will avoid all this in due time. They are creating a patch that will allow Telus customers to Roam on Rogers without have to enable Data Roaming.

So I would say it works currently with the possibility of Roaming to USA towers still. I will await till Feb 2024.
I stood at the base of the tower last week and it was picking up USA tower over the rogers one, sure hope they get it sorted out

Nice plan for those of us on the South Island. Public uses Telus towers. Nice to see some cheap plans.

Attachments

• IMG_9282.png
    IMG_9282.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 40
Back