Bargains, Savings and Inflation Fighting

Rockfish

I shop a lot and often buy the same items, so I am well aware when a price is suddenly jacked up and when exceptional deals come up. It is useful to know when great deals are being offered and also to bring to light when items are jacked up because I have noticed that sometimes a little public attention to a price increase has resulted in a reversal and price drop. I would suggest leaving the good deals on meat for the thread that already exists. But for everything else and for large increases in base prices, perhaps post them here.

So here goes - was at Walmart a couple of days ago and some really nice, fresh (not near end of shelf life) English Cucumbers were being sold for only 50 cents. I don't know if this was a lost leader or they ended up over stocked, but that is an exceptional deal. On the other hand, two items that I have purchased there recently had substantial price increases, The dry chorizo sausage that I have bought several times recently went from $5.00 to $7.00. Further the Laughing Cow smoked cream cheese that I have been buying there for months went from $3.00 to $4.00 for the small size (single layer) container.

Was also at the Save ON at Tillicum Mall and they have had large fresh bunches of Cilantro herb for two bunches for $1.50 which is a very good price. At Save ON a lot of their best prices are club members prices, but if you ask the teller to uses the managers number you can get those same prices, although you will not rack up any points which can be traded for items, unless you are a member.

Last edited:
IMG_1782.jpeg
We’re making kimchi. Sent it to my father in law this and he said 10 please, I asked 10 boxes? Nope just 10 is enough to make a few jars of kimchi apparently.

I hear you on costs going up. A friend just lost his brother and they sent a gofundme for his wife and kids. I told him load the kids up and we’ll head to the west coast for Hali and lingcod now and another trip in August. Pretty fortunate to be able to get some good protein here on the coast.

Love the idea of this thread, all the angles help especially when trying to provide healthy food for a family of 5. I don’t have anything great to add off the top of my head.

We don’t do it as much as we should but being able to capitalize on in season deals and freeze/dehydrate works. If your in the interior Desert Hills (Ashcroft) has some amazing produce prices at end of year (Oct).

Now and then I’ll browse Red Flag Deals trending posts as a bunch of thrifty folks over there (but also ppl they buy a bunch of good deals that they don’t actually need).

I’ve noticed lately that the price of olive oil’s hitting the liquid gold level. $25-30 for a bottle of average grade EVOO is like 30% increase in a month or so. We go through a couple of bottles every month as I use it for marinating and salad dressings but I think I’m going to switch to lower grade EVOO for marinade.

Last edited:
View attachment 105859
We’re making kimchi. Sent it to my father in law this and he said 10 please, I asked 10 boxes? Nope just 10 is enough to make a few jars of kimchi apparently.

I hear you on costs going up. A friend just lost his brother and they sent a gofundme for his wife and kids. I told him load the kids up and we’ll head to the west coast for Hali and lingcod now and another trip in August. Pretty fortunate to be able to get some good protein here on the coast.
Make some Tzatziki

I’ve noticed lately that the price of olive oil’s hitting the liquid gold level. $25-30 for a bottle of average grade EVOO is like 30% increase in a month or so. We go through a couple of bottles every month as I use it for marinating and salad dressings but I think I’m going to switch to lower grade EVOO for marinade.
We have been buying avocado oil at about 1/2 the price.
$10 a bottle.

Once read an article on how careful you have to be buying Olive Oil. Apparently organized crime in some European countries is into that business. Get some super cheap crap non olive oil, put some additive/s in it to somewhat simulate flavor and a drop or two of green food coloring and like magic, super cheap ingredients becomes high priced Olive Oil. Even with real Olive oil it is possible to press some ground fall olives and half rotten olives etc. It seems that with Olive Oil quality and first pressing is everything.
We have been buying avocado oil at about 1/2 the price.
$10 a bottle.
I use olive oil (very healthy) on salad etc but use Avocado Oil for cooking almost exclusively because apparently unlike olive oil, it can stand the higher temperatures of cooking/light frying etc without breaking down and avocado oil is far better for your health than most cooking oil.

You can get the two pack of large spray cans of Avocado Oil from Costco which I find fast and easy to use if I want to fry something.

Last edited:
I shop sales more now than ever before. There are patterns to what goes on sale and when. I only buy strip loins when on sale at Thrifty's which happens to start tomorrow. 30% off plus another 10% off for Scene card. Pork tenderloin has become a staple weekly. Get it on sale at Thriftys for half price (last week) . Tenderloin is one of the best cheap meats available. I buy Chicken at Costco and look for the $5.00 off per pack when I can. Coffee and cereal when on sale at Costco I buy double to get me through to the next sale.
It's like tools. Buy them when they are on sale if you know you will need one day. Don't wait for the day you need it. It's never on sale when you need it. Then I hunt and fish to make myself feel like I am saving money but we won't start that conversation. :rolleyes:

I've been waiting for the Milwaukee Lawnmower to go on sale because it rarely goes on sale.. KMS had it listed for $98 off, so I took that to Home Depot and they beat it by 10%. I'd rather spend my money at KMS but couldn't knowingly pay 10% more on an item that is already priced too high than it should be.

Back