Truck and Boat stolen in SOOKE!

GDW

From the TC.

---

Mike Kraft is still shaken up after his truck and boat were stolen from his Sooke home and taken for a wild ride ended by spike belts.
The boat and trailer were still attached to the 1991 Chevrolet truck because Kraft had been fishing the previous day. Undeterred, two suspects jumped in the truck at Kraft’s Anna Maria Road home about 5 a.m. Sunday and sped off.
“Just no regard for anybody,” Kraft said Monday. “It’s been a pretty bad couple of days for us.”
Sooke RCMP were alerted by a person who had heard someone bragging at McDonald’s about stealing a truck. Police located the vehicle in the Whiffen Spit area and the chase began.
“It was a bit of a crazy chase, but at slow speeds,” said Sooke RCMP Staff Sgt. Jeff McArthur. “It probably lasted about 10 minutes.”
The driver tried to ram police vehicles along the way, McArthur said.
The chase went for several kilometres, ending at Sooke Elementary School, where West Shore RCMP assisted by laying down spike belts.
The spike belts stopped the truck, but only one suspect was inside at the time. Procedure called for guns to be drawn at the scene, considering the stolen vehicle and attempted ramming, McArthur said.
A second suspect ran off but was arrested later, he said.
Both suspects are 17-year-olds.
At one point, the suspects tried to detach the boat trailer from the truck, but that only made things worse, Kraft said.
“They just got partially done and then the RCMP showed up, and saw them and knew what they were up to. As soon as they saw the RCMP, they jumped back in the truck and gunned it.”
Only the safety chains were keeping the boat and trailer attached.
“So it was bounding down the road, smashing up against the truck,” Kraft said.
“Apparently they dragged it through a ditch, too, went through all kinds of things.”
McArthur said sparks were being thrown off, as well.
Kraft said the truck was pretty beaten up.
“I don’t know exactly what kind of damage is actually going to be done in the end to the vehicle. It got rammed pretty bad by the boat.”
The boat also sustained a great deal of damage. “I’m hoping they can fix it. I have no idea at the moment.”

---

Senseless actions like these really get me angry. Mike is a great guy who loves fishing and has spent a few thousand dollars over the past year or two getting his truck and boat in terrific shape so he can pursue his passion. As his boat and truck are both older models, I am sure that his insurance will not compensate him anywhere close to what his investment has been. So as part of any court sentence given to whoever did this, they should be made to compensate the total financial cost to Mike for the damage they did. And follow up to make sure they do!

Had lunch with a buddy on Monday and he told me that both his pickup and his wifes car were both stolen early in October from his home up off Otter Point Rd. He had a basement window cracked to allow fumes from some woodworking finish work to vent. They grabbed both sets of keys from his workshop and drove off. He was lucky and got both back a couple of days later relatively undamaged. Both were found in the Gorge/Admirals area...the idiots parked his truck in a private parking lot and a women phoned my friend as his company info and number is on the truck. She was calling to warn him that she was about to have the truck towed if he didn't remove it. Obviously she didn't know it was stolen. When the cops arrived to secure the truck they noticed his wife's stolen car a block down the street parked right in front of a a home with occupants well known to police. There were signs of drug use in the truck. Makes me wonder if the thieves are really that stupid or just they don't care about being smart and not getting caught because the endless slap on the wrist doesn't make it worth worrying about getting caught!

Makes me wonder if the thieves are really that stupid or just they don't care about being smart and not getting caught because the endless slap on the wrist doesn't make it worth worrying about getting caught!

you got that right, repeat offender gets 6 months lowered to 3 automatically.
he serves 4 weeks and gets kicked out for lack of space.
back to stealing cars and selling drugs. :(

Back