Trolling rules/ethics

I've spent lot of time on the water, but most of it was on a commercial seine boat, so I've been learning bits and pieces every year since joining the forum. One of my early results reports was about a double header at Hoiss Point in Nootka in my 11' whaler. Pretty sure I was up against the rocks heading inland, the "wrong" way. I wouldn't do that now, but I don't care if the guides get a bit pushy. I only need two fish since I fish solo and they need 8 or 10.
Everyone behaves along the Wya shore for the most part. Swale is goofier since the fish can be had in a wide path of contours and it's crowded.

I have to admit, if I’m dialed on a tack, and some guy has one rod in the water at the wrong speed while trying to untangle his mess on the other side and is barely looking up and steering, I’m not cutting him any slack.
If it looks like they know what they’re doing I’ll play nice.

I think "right rod to shore" is another way of saying you have right of way over oncoming traffic on your port bow. If you are in tight to shore, then is not cool to have someone troll across your bow. So yes, I think I would expect someone trolling the 60' contour pass to my port side while I troll at the 80'.

Alas there are rules, and then there is reality. Been in so many situations where you are trolling structure and you get into potentially risky situations close to rocks; there are certain narrow structure passages in Barkley Sound and in August it is like trolling in a Nascar race. I fish more to relax than to fill the freezer so when combat fishing is on I tend to work the outer edges of the area as opposed to right in the fray. I often end up doing better than those crowding into the hole as I think there is so much boat traffic in the hole that it flushes fish out.

The ultimate combat fishing is off the "sandheads" during a big sockeye year, it's crazy!
Now pack all those boats into a fraction of the space and you have the cap. At least at Sandheads you can just stay away from the pack and catch even more fish... I mean NO. You have to stay as close to the markers as possible! Don't go out where that Commander is. He knows nothing.

I still find it quite funny how there ulis like this imaginary line in Sooke. West most the time it's pretty good. Go past Secretary heading for the trap everyone is all over the place. Zero etiquette when its busy. Not sure why that is

The ultimate combat fishing is off the "sandheads" during a big sockeye year, it's crazy!

Never seen sand heads but i bet Sockeye at Seperation Head is just as bad. i remember telling my fishing partner: “ i don’t know how i’m going to thread my boat between these two oncoming boats. if we get a fish on we are screwed.” i look behind me and both rods are bouncing....

I think "right rod to shore" is another way of saying you have right of way over oncoming traffic on your port bow. If you are in tight to shore, then is not cool to have someone troll across your bow. So yes, I think I would expect someone trolling the 60' contour pass to my port side while I troll at the 80'.
If your right rod is to the rocks at the 80ft contour, someone travelling towards you with their left rod to the rocks at the 60 foot contour would be passing you to your starboard side. So youd rather have someone cut across you and then cut back across behind you, just so they follow the "rule" of right rod to the rocks? Why dont you both just continue on your tacks?

If your right rod is to the rocks at the 80ft contour, someone travelling towards you with their left rod to the rocks at the 60 foot contour would be passing you to your starboard side. So youd rather have someone cut across you and then cut back across behind you, just so they follow the "rule" of right rod to the rocks? Why dont you both just continue on your tacks?
My vote is in congested areas you stick to your contour. If A guy looks like he's turning into you maybe take his depth into consideration first. And even if you're fishing 30' in 100' of water perhaps holding a hard bearing isn't the most courteous thing to the guys trying to maintain bottom around you.

Who knew a leisurely past time like fishing could get so effing complicated. Let’s all agree, there aren’t any guidelines, rules or ethics. People drag their boats all over the coast and can’t possible get to know every local nuance. When in doubt, get outta the way.

What if you are on the 30' contour?

Back