Trolling rules/ethics

fisherman1313

So I know that this has been discussed before, but as I’ve learned it, in a crowd I believe it is starboard side rod to shore. If I’m trolling close to shore with my starboard side rod to shore, and a boat continues to move in from my port side to between my boat and shore (less than 30ft distance) is there anything I can do about it legally? I was trolling the other day and a guide boat would constantly do that to my boat, I’m not sure about others. I ended up getting pretty pissed off and took two videos of them doing it, with their charter name and website clearly marked on the side of the boat. The charter is a pretty well-known one, so I don’t want to expose them on the forum or whatever but honestly, if the guides aren’t following the rules, then who will? (This day everyone else was going by the rules, which was ironic)

This always gets a lively discussion....

As far as I can tell the "right rod to shore get's right of way" idea is simply something passed down along fisherman by way of word of mouth.

I usually fish solo so I avoid the crowds and thus avoid this issue. It can be such a gong show in tight places like the mouth of the Cap.

Guides can be pretty pushy if they dont recognize your boat.. Its best if you havent fished an area to sit back and see what the pattern is and follow it, but dont let them squeeze you out...

CRGreg

Right rod to the rocks is just a guideline. If youre trolling the 80ft contour RR2R and someone is trolling towards you at the 60ft contour, do you really expect them to move around you to your port side?

Realistically its all just common sense. Just like standing in line at the grocery store, you dont cut people off or force them off of the direction theyre headed. Treat other fishermen in teh same manner you expect to be treated.

Some guides seem to feel like theyre more entitled on the water because its their job. Oftentimes a guide will have his hands full running the boat and gear as well as entertaining guests, so I would tend to cut them some slack in that sense. But if theyre sitting at the rear steering station staring a hole thru u and bullying you off your tack then thats just rude.

As a side note, nothing gets me tilted like when Im on the perfect tack 5 min before dead slack and some jester comes steaming thru the fishing grounds 40 feet infront of me, waking me out and putting a ton of noise through the water column Im about to fish through.

So I know that this has been discussed before, but as I’ve learned it, in a crowd I believe it is starboard side rod to shore. If I’m trolling close to shore with my starboard side rod to shore, and a boat continues to move in from my port side to between my boat and shore (less than 30ft distance) is there anything I can do about it legally? I was trolling the other day and a guide boat would constantly do that to my boat, I’m not sure about others. I ended up getting pretty pissed off and took two videos of them doing it, with their charter name and website clearly marked on the side of the boat. The charter is a pretty well-known one, so I don’t want to expose them on the forum or whatever but honestly, if the guides aren’t following the rules, then who will? (This day everyone else was going by the rules, which was ironic)

If he hits you it would be his fault because he is trying to pass you and its not safe to do so and using the shore as a navigation point isnt valid. Usually it is right rod to shore but some places may be setup differently so just join in but honestly guide boats will try to take every bit of opportunity to close you out. So its frustrating but lets say you are shallow going along and a boat is coming the other way obviously one of you has to give the other so you dont run to shallow. If the rules arent setup say a few boats then one of you has to make the move not necessarily right rod to shore.

Phone the company, no one wants bad publicity. I find all the rules in the world only work if people 1) know them 2) obey them. I often think it’s like driving, you can get angry or just convince yourself they just didn’t know. If though if as you said the guy keeps doing it maybe a “what you doing buddy“ is in order. I sure wouldn’t want to charter with a guy whose pissing off the locals and getting yelled at.

If he hits you it would be his fault because he is trying to pass you and its not safe to do so and using the shore as a navigation point isnt valid. Usually it is right rod to shore but some places may be setup differently so just join in but honestly guide boats will try to take every bit of opportunity to close you out. So its frustrating but lets say you are shallow going along and a boat is coming the other way obviously one of you has to give the other so you dont run to shallow. If the rules arent setup say a few boats then one of you has to make the move not necessarily right rod to shore.

Not necessarily true. Under the collision regs both vessels are required to avoid a collision. If you maintain course because you are the stand-on vessel and do not take measures to avoid a collision, you will be at fault as well. From a legal / insurance perspective, it is common that both vessels involved in a collision to share fault.

To the OP's original question: no, there is nothing you can do about it legally. Might be dick move, but that's about it.

I had a guide boat try to be the bully boy up at Nootka a few years ago, trying to squeeze me out. Called him out loudly, certain that his guests could hear. They looked embarrassed and he stopped, pulled his gear and moved elsewhere. Most guides are great but once in a while...Could have been a bad tip day.
Other boaters sometimes don't know what's up so give 'em a break.

I had a guide boat try to be the bully boy up at Nootka a few years ago, trying to squeeze me out. Called him out loudly, certain that his guests could hear. They looked embarrassed and he stopped, pulled his gear and moved elsewhere. Most guides are great but once in a while...Could have been a bad tip day.
Other boaters sometimes don't know what's up so give 'em a break.

was he guiding out of a 17 or 18’ Mako or whaler style boat with a hard Bimini top? that guy is a piece of work....

was he guiding out of a 17 or 18’ Mako or whaler style boat with a hard Bimini top? that guy is a piece of work....
If I remember correctly it was more like a Grady style boat. Could be more than one jerk, I guess.

what if the fish are not hitting that direction that the traffic seems to flow and you wish to be nice n tight.

Expect everyone is going to hit you and all will be well.

Oh and that right rod to shore thing too.

Back