Trip to BC for salmon fly fishing

M

michae-ger

Hi

I am Michael from Germany, flyfisher since over 20 years, fishing for seatrout with one hand sage rod in the baltic sea and atlantic salmon in scandinavia and scottland with two handed rods and skandinavian underhand cast.
Just booked my trip to vancouver island end of september to try first time fishing on your amazing pazific salmon. Like a beginner without knwoledge of your rivers, from internet search only ...., it will be an interesting trip...
My plan right now is starting from the south to he north, first Sooke river; San Juan, Stamp river, Campbell river, any other proposals where i shall fish?
Flies are tied, hopefully the right one for my favourite Coho, I hope I can be in touch with some of the 'Pro's' here to get some information.

Thank you in advance

Michael

There is a lot more activity in the saltwater section as the majority of members are from Vancouver area and Vancouver Island. Although you will be some of the time in fresh water, you should probably try posting your question over there. Wish I could take a couple of weeks at the coast to try the same thing...

Hi Michael
Welcome to the site

I have a buddy who comes out from Germany every second year to fish Vancouver Island. It sounds like you want to fish rivers rather than the Ocean. A couple of determining factors will be how much time you have and weather conditions here. Right now , we are in a bit of a drought, so some rivers are unfishable. That can change quickly with some rain.

The last few years my buddy and self have driven up Island to Port Hardy and experienced some great fishing in the Quatse River. The Cluxewe river in Port Mcneil is nearby and the coho fishing last year was wonderful. Coming back down the Island you will cross a lot of rivers that can provide great fishing if water conditions are stable. Send me a PM when you figure out your schedule and I will try to help you out with some info.
You might want to google Nile Creek Fly Shop. It can provide you with some good info on water and fishing conditions from mid to northern rivers,

Single egg representations and christmas tree patterns do well for coho in BC

Michael, spend some time and long distance charges talking to the Nile Creek guys. i would even come over here and plan an afternoon stop there in advance to talk with the owner. he's a well traveled expert and fanatic.

Back