Salmon returns and fishing in BC: Highlights from the 2018 season

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
https://www.watershed-watch.org/201...FxUO85K3C2Pg4svTSNyjP0LwahQDb8P_lc6sw9K2vkU5Y

Executive Summary

Overall, last year (2018) was another dismal one for B.C.’s wild salmon. All along our coast, and across the province, formerly abundant wild salmon runs came back in desperately low numbers, leading to unprecedented fishing closures. Thankfully, a few wild runs came back in numbers large enough to feed wildlife and allow some modest fishing.

Because so many wild salmon populations are at historically-low levels of abundance, the few fisheries allowed often impacted these populations declared to be endangered or threatened. Examples include West Coast Vancouver Island’s recreational fisheries’ impacts on endangered Fraser River stream-type chinook populations and the Fraser River commercial sockeye fisheries’ impact on Cultus Lake sockeye. In those situations, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) must decide between conservation and fishing. And despite federal policies that make conservation the highest priority, DFO operates as though their primary mandate is to create fishing opportunities. As fisheries, over time, reduce numbers of endangered and threatened wild salmon, choosing fishing over conservation becomes easier for DFO to justify.

Another consequence of attempting to have fisheries on a few more abundant populations in a sea of endangered and threatened ones, is the growing use of catch and release fisheries. Unfortunately, DFO refuses to employ its own science to estimate how many of the released salmon survive to spawn. This can lead to underestimating fishing mortality, which in turn, can signal to managers that fisheries impacting endangered or threatened populations do not need to be reduced. DFO’s practice of not putting conservation first, in contravention of their own policies, can lead to a downward spiral of inappropriate decisions from which some salmon populations may never recover.

This recap is not exhaustive. We are experts with a keen interest in conserving and rebuilding B.C.’s wild salmon but we are not Fisheries and Oceans Canada. If you see an important error or omission, please let us know. Also let us know if you want to get involved and help us stand up for B.C. salmon.........

are we witnessing the 1992 Atlantic Cod fishery collapse all over again? Well if this isn’t the year they announce massive closures to save our salmon we’re damn close to it. We are in the midst of a 30 year mismanagement plan by our government. Plain and simple. I have been fishing the West Coast for 25 years, I haven’t had a year, not one, where we didn’t have announcements of certain runs of salmon that were in trouble. We’ve gone from a few specific runs in specific areas to coastal wide collapse. Like watching a car accident in slow motion, a 30-40 year car accident that our government could have prevented at any time and because of political pressures chose not too. I will give this Federal Government a bit if credit for showing up with some cash to help but it’s not enough! I don’t want to misspeak here but what exactly is iur BALANCED BUDGET government if BC doing for our Pacific fishery? It feels like NOTHING. The only thing they’re concerned about was bragging to the world that they balanced the books. Well congratulations, you’re watching the end of the BC Salmon fishery but you balanced your budget. Deficit spending is for emergency, to protect jobs and stave off catastrophic outcomes! BC, as a Government, it’s an emergency, it’s time to invest major dollars in our salmon and steelhead fishery. It’s long overdue.

Yikes. Last year I had the best fishing in my 4 years of fishing the ocean. I don’t think I was skunked once. Am I just getting better or is this all crap and there is fish out there still?

I’ve been around long enough to know that access to our countries precious resources go to the wealthy and politically connected. We aren’t unified enough to be a political force but we’re getting there. I have no doubt FINALLY, that we will start voting provincially and federally to help our cause.

Coastwide collapse is a stretch. Wow positive thread....:eek::eek::eek:

What a garbage article to follow.

Why are you guys following what NGO groups say? Watershed watch is the worst, and wants all fishing closed. Has for years.

These lines are a direct giveaway to the author in red:

Another consequence of attempting to have fisheries on a few more abundant populations in a sea of endangered and threatened ones, is the growing use of catch and release fisheries.

This can lead to underestimating fishing mortality,
which in turn, can signal to managers that fisheries impacting endangered or threatened populations do not need to be reduced.

What about this one? Apparently we are the expert now above everyone else:

We are experts
with a keen interest in conserving and rebuilding B.C.’s wild salmon but we are not Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

Last edited:
https://www.watershed-watch.org/201...FxUO85K3C2Pg4svTSNyjP0LwahQDb8P_lc6sw9K2vkU5Y

Executive Summary

Overall, last year (2018) was another dismal one for B.C.’s wild salmon. All along our coast, and across the province, formerly abundant wild salmon runs came back in desperately low numbers, leading to unprecedented fishing closures. Thankfully, a few wild runs came back in numbers large enough to feed wildlife and allow some modest fishing.

Because so many wild salmon populations are at historically-low levels of abundance, the few fisheries allowed often impacted these populations declared to be endangered or threatened. Examples include West Coast Vancouver Island’s recreational fisheries’ impacts on endangered Fraser River stream-type chinook populations and the Fraser River commercial sockeye fisheries’ impact on Cultus Lake sockeye. In those situations, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) must decide between conservation and fishing. And despite federal policies that make conservation the highest priority, DFO operates as though their primary mandate is to create fishing opportunities. As fisheries, over time, reduce numbers of endangered and threatened wild salmon, choosing fishing over conservation becomes easier for DFO to justify.

Another consequence of attempting to have fisheries on a few more abundant populations in a sea of endangered and threatened ones, is the growing use of catch and release fisheries. Unfortunately, DFO refuses to employ its own science to estimate how many of the released salmon survive to spawn. This can lead to underestimating fishing mortality, which in turn, can signal to managers that fisheries impacting endangered or threatened populations do not need to be reduced. DFO’s practice of not putting conservation first, in contravention of their own policies, can lead to a downward spiral of inappropriate decisions from which some salmon populations may never recover.

This recap is not exhaustive. We are experts with a keen interest in conserving and rebuilding B.C.’s wild salmon but we are not Fisheries and Oceans Canada. If you see an important error or omission, please let us know. Also let us know if you want to get involved and help us stand up for B.C. salmon.........

they are using the Patterson's paper which grossly over estimated encounter mortality. DFO told him they do not recognize that study but not surprising that they are using it, as usual the NGO love to spread fake news... :(

Watershed watch was championed by many on here for years, especially for their advocacy against fish farms.

They used to also have a blurb on their website how they supported sports fishing with a picture of a kid and his family fishing can't seem to find it on their site anymore....

Last edited:
Watershed watch was championed by many on here for years, especially for their advocacy against fish farms.

They used to also have a blurb on their website how they supported sports fishing with a picture of a kid and his family fishing can't seem to find it on their site anymore....

Oh I suggest you do some research my friend...Not friends of ours by any means.

Oh I suggest you do some research my friend...Not friends of ours by any means.

They are not friends of the resource industry, never have been and we are the resource industry, wonder how many donations they got over the years from sports fishermen.....

I know it’s a bit of a conspiracy theory but how much of the actual salmon counts are done, tabulated and monitored by volunteers? People like us, and then summarize the data and use that data to set regulations? It has often occurred to me that all those very good Government Paying jobs at DFO are very very safe when salmon numbers are dangerously low! A hatchery for instance that actually does what it’s designed to do, enhance a dangerously low fish total in a particular system wouldn’t be needed once the numbers came back. So if any particular hatchery that has been operating for let’s say 45 years now, wouldn’t really be considered a success story would it? If you keep sending 1 million or more Chinook out the barrel every year and only get back 5,000 fish annually how could you claim that your particular hatchery was really successful at it’s mandate? Now if you were getting back 10-15,000 every year it would be a success and we wouldn’t need that hatchery any longer. I’m not suggesting that’s happening in BC, but a doom and gloom scenario does protect one if the largest emlloyers in all of Canada, the DFO

Do some homework on DFO and where their money is spent.

Check out how much money is actually spent on hatcherys vs their budget.

Did you take into consideration that where there are hatcherys that the streams and rivers are not capable of producing fish any longer due to man?
That if we get rid of the hatcherys we also get rid of the runs.

I know it’s a bit of a conspiracy theory but how much of the actual salmon counts are done, tabulated and monitored by volunteers? People like us, and then summarize the data and use that data to set regulations? It has often occurred to me that all those very good Government Paying jobs at DFO are very very safe when salmon numbers are dangerously low! A hatchery for instance that actually does what it’s designed to do, enhance a dangerously low fish total in a particular system wouldn’t be needed once the numbers came back. So if any particular hatchery that has been operating for let’s say 45 years now, wouldn’t really be considered a success story would it? If you keep sending 1 million or more Chinook out the barrel every year and only get back 5,000 fish annually how could you claim that your particular hatchery was really successful at it’s mandate? Now if you were getting back 10-15,000 every year it would be a success and we wouldn’t need that hatchery any longer. I’m not suggesting that’s happening in BC, but a doom and gloom scenario does protect one if the largest emlloyers in all of Canada, the DFO

Did you take into consideration that where there are hatcherys that the streams and rivers are not capable of producing fish any longer due to man?
That if we get rid of the hatcherys we also get rid of the runs.

pretty much this!

I don’t read everything that comes out of our dfo but I take everything that comes out with a grain of salt. It’s certainly not above our government to protect their own jobs at the local level or the national. I know one thing for sure, they’ve been screaming fire in a crowded theatre for a few years now and guess what, in this an election year, money is flowing to BC, several new Ministers from BC gave been appointed. It’s going to be a close election this year, BC suddenly matters. I’m the least bit surprised we’re getting increased funding. I’m very happy about that. But, I know mych if the information we get is computer modeling. I had many conversations on the telephone with dfo people who told me at best it’s a guess about stocks. I commend their efforts but I am far more appreciative of the local organizations and individuals that bust their humps to make a difference. I also know that because the Sportfishing community is more organized than ever and more pussed off than ever, we’re getting some results. I do appreciate everything that you guys do. I don’t however fulky trust we’re getting the straight skinny from our government. I never will, they’re using a less than perfect recording system to handle a multi billion dollar industry. That should scare everyone

I fish in an area that you describe. That likely without a Hatchery in my area there wouldn’t be much of a salmon run. But is that fixing a problem or spending blindly while they whistle past the graveyard? Most of these problems are fixable with innovation and investment. We’re short on both! My complaint is that our hatcheries are pounding out millions and millions of salmon annually and to date, simply seem to be staving off the inevitable collapse of the fishery. Also over the past 40 years our hatcheries have become the supply half of a Put & Take fishery. The take side of this effort isn’t Recreational anglers. We just pay the bill for whoever got the fish. Maybe that’s a bit jaded, but what’s clear is our stocks are flatlined or declining and have been for 30 years, that includes millions of salmon being released, billions spent, yet here we sit. And Recreational anglers begging for our right to have access to fish we’ve largely paid for. They’re hatchery fish now, most of them. Our government will do its best to give a little something to everyone until it’s gone. Places in Washington and Oregon realized that certain hydro projects were a real threat to the survival of salmon and steelhead runs. They blew up the projects and restored the rivers. Can you see us doing that? I can’t. It boils down to doing what’s necessary versus doing what you have to to remain in office. Politicians first responsibility has almost always been protecting their own asses first and then the rest of us in order of importance. To think otherwise is simply foolish. We’re where we are because of Politicians mismanagement of another Canadian Fishery. It’s happened before.

Back