Trapping Octopus?

ElectricDyck

We had a smaller octopus in our prawn trap the other day. I've eaten it in salads at resorts in mexico which was super tasty so I thought I'd bring it home and try it out. I cleaned it right away and put it on ice, once I got home I boiled it for 1/2 an hour adding salt and olive oil to the water and let it cool in the water. I was a little nervous to try it but to my surprise and my kids surprise it tastes really good! A bit chewy, next time I will boil for a lot longer, maybe try this recipe:

http://geniuscook.com/how-to-make-octopus-carpaccio/

Anyway, I looked at the regs and saw that you are allowed one per day and you are allowed to trap them. I googled the traps and found guys making traps out of pvc pipe and big o drainage pipe with concrete in the ends for weight. I couldn't find any rules for octopus traps like there are for prawn and shrimp traps.

Anybody know if there are any specific rules? Anybody tried this?

I'm not quite sure of the regs there dyck, but I have had quite a few of those beauties on and in my traps. Always put them back but regret it sometimes.;) eman

When you clean octopus you have to immediately (once you have cleaned it by flipping the hood) beat it against a rock or take a rubber hammer to it. Thats the tenderizing process and you need to do it. Boil in water and salt for quite a while depending on size. Then clean off the skin/tenicles (peel it). Cut it up and put lemon and a bit of olive oil on it. Let it sit for an hour in the fridge. In the north of Spain they put paprika on it. Great on salads or as a appetizer. I eat it a lot at my place in Spain.

I'm not quite sure of the regs there dyck, but I have had quite a few of those beauties on and in my traps. Always put them back but regret it sometimes.;) eman

Haven't caught one yet prawning looked on the Fish oceans and couldn't find the octopus regs anyone know ? .. if i get a small one i may keep it so tasty ..unless it's looking
at me lol ..

Haven't caught one yet prawning looked on the Fish oceans and couldn't find the octopus regs anyone know ? .. if i get a small one i may keep it so tasty ..unless it's looking
at me lol ..

Look at the shellfish limits table, 1 per day coast wide.

Whenever I get one in the prawn trap, I get an uncomfortable feeling it probably is smarter than me. I throw it back so it will not have any opportunity to prove it in front of my family or friends.

+1

Never had much interest in eating one after seeing and interacting with them while diving and snorkeling. Here's a great article on the powers of the cephalopod mind:
https://orionmagazine.org/article/deep-intellect/

Yeah strange how certain things have a different feel when you are eating them. Being a hunter as well I sometimes get that feeling eating bear which can be great eating but I can,t help thinking Im not supposed to eat them. I,ve heard in vietnam they eat a lot of dog and they call it "hot" food cause they believe it to be spiritually spicey....

For some reason I just don't get this feeling with octopus... cant wait to catch another and try out some recipes..

I caught one in the Charlottes and used it for halibut bait, the legs were still squirming after 1/2 an hour of being cut off..didn't catch any on the circle hooked octopus but I snagged a 128cm one on the norweigian jig (first ever halibut for me :) )..maybe he/she was coming for the octopus?

divers trap them in saanich inlet in pots. I believe they look for wholes or cracks in rock to crawl into at sunrise and hide out in the dark during the day. There are some PVC tube/ 5 gallon bucket trap ideas online. I have only pulled them up on halibut gear as by-catch and kept them for cheap bait.

I have also caught them in my prawn traps. I cook them up and eat them. Boil for 45mins then marinate in olive oil, lemon, oregano for 30mins and then throw them on the BBQ for a minutes a side to sear it up.

I always wondered if there was a way to target and catch them, so i'd be keen to hear of anyone doing it successfully.

Attachments

• IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    558.2 KB · Views: 66
Back