Trailer Hub Leaking Grease

i’m spitballing here but i’m leaning more towards failure as opposed to brakes running too hot. i think if your grease was getting too hot and “liquefying” the centrifugal force of your wheel rotation would have it sprayed all over your wheel well and boat?

Jack up the axle. Rotate the wheel. Does it spin freely? Is the brake dragging? Does the bearing feel rough? Lift the wheel with a pry bar to check for movement in the bearing? Have you added grease lately? (Overgreased?)

Greased last in September before our trip to Winter harbor. I would have noticed this so I am pretty sure it happen last week when I launched the boat locally.

Going to jack it up to see if I can feel anything but I have a feeling it might be the bearing. I think I would have smelled something if the brakes where over heating as the strap mount is right there.

Get yourself a temp gun and check each bearing temperature after a run. My bearings normally run at 87c in summer weather On my tandem axle Roadrunner. A bit cooler in the winter. I find if I overfill the bearings with grease, some does spew out like yours. The bearings run at pretty similar temps. If I see one is much hotter, I switch it out.

So I took this apart this morning. Looks like my brake pads where worn down which caused the brake piston to get stuck. I put it all together again with new pads and after doing the first test the brake is making a slight grinding/rubbing noise as I turn the the wheel by hand. Is this normal? I tested the front wheel and it makes a similar noise.

Only if the brakes are dragging if not should be real Quiet. If that grease was the dark green stuff to start u gots a problemif grease is getting out water is getting in
I found rock auto pretty good for the bigger bearings ect a lot better.
I don’t leave home without a temp gun

Last edited:
Just ordered a temp gun that sounds like a good idea. It a bit of strange brake design the caliper floats on two pins so its not fixed. Because it floats I would expect there always to be some kind of contact. Anyway replaced the grease checked seals everything looks good we see what happens on the next trip

Just ordered a temp gun that sounds like a good idea. It a bit of strange brake design the caliper floats on two pins so its not fixed. Because it floats I would expect there always to be some kind of contact. Anyway replaced the grease checked seals everything looks good we see what happens on the next trip
The pads on my calipers rub against the wheel hubs. Doent seem to heat them up, bu definetly noisy

a little bit if noise is pretty standard, as long as there isn't resistance while spinning in the air it should be ok

Back