Surge brake master cylinder replacement

the force

Crew Member
Hey Team, my Surg-O-Matic master cylinder started leaking brake fluid, appears to be the seals around the shaft. As far as I can tell this may be the original on the 1997 trailer, or at least hasn’t been changed for some time so thinking I should just replace the whole unit. It’s a model 6, 7500lbs/600lb tongue weight.

I’ll call around town tomorrow to see what I can find (guessing it will be $800+ didn’t see any great online sources), though thought I should ask here first… I’m assuming straight up replacement is the way to go or should I be thinking about changing to discs or electric? I primarily launch in fresh water, maybe 5 times a year in the salt. Lots of hills around here (Kamloops) so the brakes get a workout. Boat is around 5000lbs, double axel shore lander trailer with drums on the rear axle which appeared to be in reasonable shape this spring. It is older so don’t want to spend a bunch, but also want to spend smart.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4865.jpeg
    IMG_4865.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 23
Hmmm, just reading this thread where @noluck recommended electric drums, and it appears they would be cheaper than just the surge brake hitch. I’ve already got a brake controller in my truck, electric would give superior brake control as well would it not? On the wiring side, is the install of these as simple as pulling wire and tying into a new 7 blade plug (taking precaution to heat-shrink all connections)?

Hmmm, just reading this thread where @noluck recommended electric drums, and it appears they would be cheaper than just the surge brake hitch. I’ve already got a brake controller in my truck, electric would give superior brake control as well would it not? On the wiring side, is the install of these as simple as pulling wire and tying into a new 7 blade plug (taking precaution to heat-shrink all connections)?

I have marine (coated) electric brakes installed. 7 blade and controller in the truck.You are required to have brakes on all axles. Better than surge. Keep them rinsed coming out of salt.

yup

I have marine (coated) electric brakes installed. 7 blade and controller in the truck.You are required to have brakes on all axles. Better than surge. Keep them rinsed coming out of salt.

Brakes on both axels? I didn’t know that, the trailer only came with them on the rear. One would think there is some kind of grandfather clause, or once a guy starts retrofitting the expectation is that it is current with insurance regs. Will think about this one, thanks for the heads up.

Brakes on both axels? I didn’t know that, the trailer only came with them on the rear. One would think there is some kind of grandfather clause, or once a guy starts retrofitting the expectation is that it is current with insurance regs. Will think about this one, thanks for the heads up.
Motor Vehicle Act, Part 5 (3)
Your Shor Lander trailer was imported from U.S. so is apparently non-compliant in B.C. Someone missed this deficiency on the import inspection. You only have a problem after an accident investigation. You said "...so brakes get a workout..." I'd be correcting this beforehand.

Hey Team, my Surg-O-Matic master cylinder started leaking brake fluid, appears to be the seals around the shaft. As far as I can tell this may be the original on the 1997 trailer, or at least hasn’t been changed for some time so thinking I should just replace the whole unit. It’s a model 6, 7500lbs/600lb tongue weight.

I’ll call around town tomorrow to see what I can find (guessing it will be $800+ didn’t see any great online sources), though thought I should ask here first… I’m assuming straight up replacement is the way to go or should I be thinking about changing to discs or electric? I primarily launch in fresh water, maybe 5 times a year in the salt. Lots of hills around here (Kamloops) so the brakes get a workout. Boat is around 5000lbs, double axel shore lander trailer with drums on the rear axle which appeared to be in reasonable shape this spring. It is older so don’t want to spend a bunch, but also want to spend smart.
Thanks.

Not sure if this unit would work for your application (Max gross tongue 600, Max gross trailer 6000) but I had a similar problem with leaking seals and found this unit at Princess Auto, relatively easy swap and reasonably priced IMHO.

Attachments

• Drum Brake Actuator.JPG
    Drum Brake Actuator.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
Back