Roadrunner Trailer -Advice

Thanks guys the only negative I have with it is that a prefer the drop axle that I had an EZ loader. Everything else so far looks good.

Roadrunner trailers are galvinized right in richmond ive always heard good things about them,im also sure the accesories are generic but all the galvanizing is local so theres that. I own a gateway made in oregon ,got a good deal on it as as it was a takeoff from a package deal,ive had it 7 years with no issue so im sure with some fresh water and grease a roadrunner will last you a lifetime

Roadrunner trailers are galvinized right in richmond ive always heard good things about them,im also sure the accesories are generic but all the galvanizing is local so theres that. I own a gateway made in oregon ,got a good deal on it as as it was a takeoff from a package deal,ive had it 7 years with no issue so im sure with some fresh water and grease a roadrunner will last you a lifetime
The only thing that may last a “lifetime” with a roadrunner trailer is maybe the frame. Every other part expect to replace fairly quickly as they are made with the cheapest parts possible. Had issues from day one with mine, beyond poor workmanship and finishing, squeaked like a banshee from day one as well. Mike who’s a dealer on the island said thats normal and would do nothing. No other trailer I’ve owned squeaked even remotely as bad. Actually embarrassing driving down the road it was so bad. In the first year had to replace the taillights that failed and broke, trailer jack that was well undersized for the trailer, and rewire lights and a few other things. Galvanized plating was already flaking off on the coupler from day one too. Trailer had drum brakes on both axles which were terrible and not even coated for marine use. Ended up going to disks on one axle and never had another issue, still have issues with the drums even though I replaced everything with new marine coated parts and wash it down after every use. They are the cheapest for a reason.

The only thing that may last a “lifetime” with a roadrunner trailer is maybe the frame. Every other part expect to replace fairly quickly as they are made with the cheapest parts possible. Had issues from day one with mine, beyond poor workmanship and finishing, squeaked like a banshee from day one as well. Mike who’s a dealer on the island said thats normal and would do nothing. No other trailer I’ve owned squeaked even remotely as bad. Actually embarrassing driving down the road it was so bad. In the first year had to replace the taillights that failed and broke, trailer jack that was well undersized for the trailer, and rewire lights and a few other things. Galvanized plating was already flaking off on the coupler from day one too. Trailer had drum brakes on both axles which were terrible and not even coated for marine use. Ended up going to disks on one axle and never had another issue, still have issues with the drums even though I replaced everything with new marine coated parts and wash it down after every use. They are the cheapest for a reason.
Leaf springs can squeak. The way to solve it is oiling them up. That's what I've done and have zero squeaks now. All these new springs come from China and are average quality.

Interesting. I still think my EZ loader was better but time will tell. Also used to rollers so this should be a bit interesting launching with just bunks. Although I could never just roll off my boat.

This one has disc brakes. My last trailer had drums but weren't connected. I ran it for years like that but technically fully loaded I needed brakes.

The torsion drop axles on my EZ loader weren't loud. I had another trailer with my other boat with leaf springs. They always made noise. No what you mean.

My friends have the tuff trailers and they also had issues with them right off the bat.

I could have got a highliner but that was like 4 week wait and the EZ loader could not find on island.

I guess there's always the odd lemon but my 3 year old RR has been great so far.
I'm a roller guy though , all depends on your boat launch choice.

True. I was actual hoping for a combo roller front/rear bunk, but have to try this first. The pod actually gives quite a bit of flotation and floats off.

I just bought a 28 footer weighing in at 14,000 lbs—- EZ Load would have been my first choice but they’re 1 1/2 years out on delivery timing. I ended up going Karavan—-they get good marks. With all due respect to RR, they are not the first on anyone’s list, at least around here. Not sure why—-it might be because people push the load spex, then tow the boat with full fuel tanks etc, something I’ve always tried to avoid in boat trailer ownership

Leaf springs can squeak. The way to solve it is oiling them up. That's what I've done and have zero squeaks now. All these new springs come from China and are average quality.
Ya I’ve had countless different leaf spring trailers and none of them even compared to how loud my new road runner was. Tried oiling, greasing you name it and nothing worked.

My Road Runner is about 4 years old now. I started getting a lot of noise from it last year and tracked it down to a $3.00 plastic bushing in the open end of the leaf spring. It is supposed to be round but got a flat spot on one side and got noisy. Replaced and quiet. I just replaced this again a couple of weeks ago because it was noisy again. I called RR to discuss and he had never heard of the problem. Super nice guy but he seemed to think the conversation and issue I was having was funny. Annoying that I had to replace this twice already but a quick easy job and $3.00 per side now that I know what to do. I don't have or need brakes which I assume would cause more issues.
The only guys that don't have trailer issues are the ones that moor their boats.

Jerrod if you have any doubts about the bearings being on their way out...simple thing to do for piece of mind....jack up each wheel one at a time and spin it. (easy if you have a rolling floor jack) If they are quiet..sleep easy..if growly...you have a chore to do.

Overgreased??
Check rear seal to make sure it's
not blown out.

Its fine checked rear seal. I think the bearing buddy isn't fully seated down. I will give a few wacks. Next launch I will check again and if it's a problem take it apart. Never had grease coming out there on any of my trailers so thought it was weird.

My Road Runner is about 4 years old now. I started getting a lot of noise from it last year and tracked it down to a $3.00 plastic bushing in the open end of the leaf spring. It is supposed to be round but got a flat spot on one side and got noisy. Replaced and quiet. I just replaced this again a couple of weeks ago because it was noisy again. I called RR to discuss and he had never heard of the problem. Super nice guy but he seemed to think the conversation and issue I was having was funny. Annoying that I had to replace this twice already but a quick easy job and $3.00 per side now that I know what to do. I don't have or need brakes which I assume would cause more issues.
The only guys that don't have trailer issues are the ones that moor their boats.
After having to deal with multiple trailers and their never ending maintenance I just moor and hire a mover to launch and bring home for the winter

Problem is with the galvanized surfaces not being consistent and then the fitment tolerances aren’t tight enough or too tight which will cause the bearing buddy housing to deform. Not much you can do other than green loctite to help the interference fit.

Suprising too find this today. Grease leaking from bearing buddy. Ideas? Submerged once. 4hrs on it.View attachment 84614
I filled up my bearing buddies before trailering from lower mainland to osoyoos. One side was likely over filled and had grease coming out the same spots. I think it’s just an over filling issue. No problem. My bearings were still nice and cold to the touch

I filled up my bearing buddies before trailering from lower mainland to osoyoos. One side was likely over filled and had grease coming out the same spots. I think it’s just an over filling issue. No problem. My bearings were still nice and cold to the touch

Yeah that's pretty much what I think. I will keep eye on it but everything else looks good.

If your replacing axles or looking at new trailers I think the Dexter easy lube system is the way to go. the spindle is drilled and has a nipple on the end. you can purge the grease from the inboard bearing outwards, the color and consistency of the grease is a good indicator of bearing condition. bearing buddies put a little positive pressure on the seal but are completely ineffective at getting grease to the inner bearing, at least until the seal fails and the grease can free flow through the hub.

If your replacing axles or looking at new trailers I think the Dexter easy lube system is the way to go. the spindle is drilled and has a nipple on the end. you can purge the grease from the inboard bearing outwards, the color and consistency of the grease is a good indicator of bearing condition. bearing buddies put a little positive pressure on the seal but are completely ineffective at getting grease to the inner bearing, at least until the seal fails and the grease can free flow through the hub.

I agree. The Dexter easy lube system is the way to go if you had to replace an axle. Any new grease you pump in comes out through the inner bearing and into the hub and is a good way to flush old grease. Not sure why more builders of boat trailers don't use this type of axle.

IMO, although not as effective, and as I have said before, bearing buddies can help keep grease in the inner bearing for those of us that don't have the Dexter system. The key is to have the hub completely filled during installation. If the hub is full, inner and outer bearings are full and bearing buddy is full, any new grease added, applies positive pressure and keeps the inner bearing packed. If you don't overpressure you will not pop the rear seal as grease will squeeze out the front of the bearing buddy as per design. As others on here have said, if everything is full of grease, no place for water. As you say however, it is no where near as effective as the Dexter system.

1662698889180.png

Last edited:
Back