Roadrunner Trailer -Advice

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I just wanted to start this since I replaced my EZ loader trailer (well not my choice LOL). Just wanted for some guys with some pros/cons I need to be aware of.

Never had disc brakes so this is very new too me. This trailer hasn't gotten wet yet, so I am wondering if anyone had issues with bearing repacking at factory.

This trailer is adjustable 19ft-20ft boat with the single 4200 lb axle. On bunks.

I it was me, I'd just use it and abuse it while its under warranty and not worry about it. After what happened to you, its a little unnerving I get it. If it has warranty go fish and focus on that. After the warranty pull the hubs, inspect and repack. Lube is your friend lol.

What is that supposed to mean?

Lol. So it turns out that no trailer guy makes their axles, bearings, seals, brakes, hitches, wiring, plugs, lights, rollers, they make their own frames and bunks and all put their own due diligence into the trailer. They are all temporary. Mike actually told me that one time lol.

They all get their pallets of Chinese axles, tires and wheels, and everything else attached.

Check the bearing buddies, when I was in last time he’s only using the plated ones not stainless they’ll rust out quick worth swapping out at some point.

Lol. So it turns out that no trailer guy makes their axles, bearings, seals, brakes, hitches, wiring, plugs, lights, rollers, they make their own frames and bunks and all put their own due diligence into the trailer. They are all temporary. Mike actually told me that one time lol.

They all get their pallets of Chinese axles, tires and wheels, and everything else attached.

Their tubing etc is probably all Chinese. Honestly most of my steel nowadays comes from Asia. Didn't use to be that way.

Huge transition over last few years.

Their tubing etc is probably all Chinese. Honestly most of my steel nowadays comes from Asia. Didn't use to be that way.

Huge transition over last few years.

I'm sure your 100 percent right on that. I'm sure most of if not all the raw metals and materials were manufactured in China.

I know that road runner and highline both weld the frames and have them galvanized here. Then install whatever is intended for the build of that trailer. I'm sure it's all the same as everything else. Build quality equals price

I've had a Roadrunner 5400 bunk now the last 11 years under my boat. I only soak it 4 times a year at Nootka. I always spray off the the trailer every single time I put it in salt. I have the brake line water flush kit. I run water thru it for a minute or 2 each time I dip. I replaced bearings twice, speedy sleeves once, Springs once and the brake master controller once in those 11 years. I have done a few mods to the trailer adding some extra rollers that Roadrunner doesn't seem to put on the forward cross member. I have bearing buddies and grease up at least twice a year before trips. Don't over grease, just a couple of pumps to get some fresh grease in. Never ever had a major failure during our trips over to the Island and up to Nootka. But, you need to do preventative maintenance especially on bearings. I find the trailer adequate for my use. I don't find any trailers overbuilt and they all seem to be just enough to meet basic hauling needs. When I tow I'm particular about air tire pressure and test bearing temps at each stop and write it down with a sharpie on the fender so I know if temps are rising. I have drum brakes and have from day one. They work just fine for me. I don't plan to change anytime soon. In 11 years of use I've only had one lock up on me once solved with a hammer tap.

I bought a new one 3 years ago, just changed the hubs as the old bearings were growling.
No other complaints however mine doesn't have brakes.
Mike is the sales manager (along with everything else) and knows everything about these trailers
any questions call him, he will answer the phone likely.

Confirm your tongue weight, change you bearings annually and keep greased in between. Do visual inspection with boat off every time you launch Rinse well after every use. That’s all you can do.
The worst part about new trailer is watching how fast the springs get rusty. Nothing you can do but it happens fast.

I think that a big issue with a lot of trailers is that they are ill matched to the boat that they are hauling. Often the dealer or manufacturer is looking at the weight of boat/motor and matching with a trailer that barely hauls it without accounting for a boat full of gas, water, ice, gear, and beer that can quickly increase the weight you are hauling by thousands of pounds. While it reduces the price of the overall package, it costs you more in the long run.

Results in excessive strain on everything and a quick deterioration of tires. I have had a ton of issues with my present trailer, in its 3rd year of use. I have probably put about 3500 - 4000 kms on my trailer, mostly highway miles up and down the Island but on lots of less than pristine highways - Port Renfrew road, Gold River, Port Hardy - all are not known for great highway maintenance. Ended up having 3 tire blow outs this year. Plus cracked rim on one tire (not due to blow out). Also, had to do brakes.

I have now replaced all 4 tires, new brakes, new battery. I'm sure that the trailer would have been fine for shorter trips but if you use your trailer a lot and for longer trips, minimize what you are carrying in the boat, and don't fuel up until you are close to your destination.

More importantly, you are better off with a trailer rated over what they say you need.

A neat hack for boat launches that don't have a hose to wash down is to pack a 2 -3 gallon garden sprayer filled with water/Salt Away. Not as good as a good fresh water bath but you can quickly hit most of the trailer with it and avoid most corrosion issues.

I am wondering if anyone had issues with bearing repacking at factory.

Not sure what you mean by this? Are you asking if anyone has had to repack a new bearing after it came from the factory meaning it wasn’t properly packed at the factory??

I am wondering if anyone had issues with bearing repacking at factory.

Not sure what you mean by this? Are you asking if anyone has had to repack a new bearing after it came from the factory meaning it wasn’t properly packed at the factory??

Yes. I heard some horror stories. All I was asking.

I have not heard of any instances like that before but if you we’re concerned and for piece of mind now would be the time to check with it being new and very easy to pull apart.

I know not everyone does this or even agrees with this but if you are using bearing buddies I would ensure that the hub Is packed full of grease. If it’s not then your few squirts of grease you apply every now and again does nothing for the back bearing. Also when applying the grease through a bearing buddy you should be rotating the wheel as you do it. If not the grease will just squeeze through the outer bearing in and path of least resistance and drop on the hub cavity unless it’s already full.

As I said not everyone will agree but that’s how I was taught by someone who knew a lot more about grease and bearings than most of us.

I’d pump grease into the bearing buddies, after you drive it home, while it’s warm. Use the rest of this season. Then re-pack in the fall. I remember the thread on here, from years back. Sounded like he used it first season and didn’t do this. Next season he was stuck on the road with bearing failure, and felt RR was at fault.
IMO trailer bearings need to be done every fall, with new grease seals.

Umm,
My tandem axle trailer takes me 3.5 hours to repack all the bearings. If the trailer is under warranty (and is new?) use it for the season and then repack the bearings at the end of the season. The last new (like brand new) dinghy trailer I bought did have some loose bolts and one loose wheel nut. It costs you nothing to go over the bolts. Trailer Preventative Maintenance is the same on old or new trailers.

Better luck

Back