Boat trailer wheel bearing grease recommendation

seahorse

Crew Member
After disintegrating 50% of the bearings on my boat trailer last week heading to Port Hardy, I ordered a full set of Timken bearings from Ontario for my 1 season old Kodiak disc brake kit which should be at my house early next week. Just curious what you guys use for wheel bearing grease? I’m starting with fresh bearings so thought I would use grease that you guys recommend so I don’t have the same issue with my upcoming Nootka trip, thanks.

After disintegrating 50% of the bearings on my boat trailer last week heading to Port Hardy, I ordered a full set of Timken bearings from Ontario for my 1 season old Kodiak disc brake kit which should be at my house early next week. Just curious what you guys use for wheel bearing grease? I’m starting with fresh bearings so thought I would use grease that you guys recommend so I don’t have the same issue with my upcoming Nootka trip, thanks.
I use Lucas “Red and Tacky” seems to hold up well over the years I switched to it.

I use corrosionX. It is thick and in cold weather you need a powered grease gun. I have had zero water intrusion using it. I am sure others have their favorite

Lucas green is what I use, it has the highest melt point. Use it in all my trailers.

Make sure you use a double lip seal the regular ones you get won’t stand up to the water pressure when launching

Here’s some grease I picked up at Napa in Port Hardy on the weekend, Spring Time, do you have a make or part number for the double lip seals?

Attachments

• DAE60C18-EAC8-4B1C-8961-968E76DBCEB9.jpeg
    DAE60C18-EAC8-4B1C-8961-968E76DBCEB9.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 40
Hey Don , did you ever find out what the reason was for bearing failure?
Good luck in Nootka, I'm jealous

Hey Steve, thanks for the good luck blessing but no not yet I haven’t figured out the root case of the failure, I think they were cheap Chinese bearings that came with the Kodiak brake kit that I bought at Lordco in Feb 2020. I have those Timken bearings, races, seals ordered so will swap everything out next week, I’m curious to find out if the other 2 sets of bearings are also on their way out. I also bought a spare rotor that I will assemble as a spare in case this happens again. I’m building a road towing kit with parts, pieces and tools as well, I’m not interested in getting stuck on the highway west or north of Campbell River. We were fuelling up in Hyde creek south of Port McNeill coming back on Sunday and there was a guy stranded until Tuesday behind the gas station with a toasted spindle on his boat trailer. I told him that I felt his pain.
I noticed that the Marine Lucas grease I bought says it’s for bearing use as well, I’m glad it’s multi purpose.

Attachments

• 363BC49F-1123-4CFD-8C4D-347BB52B9E3C.jpeg
    363BC49F-1123-4CFD-8C4D-347BB52B9E3C.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 4145CCFF-1B4A-4068-8A0E-A057BA5C5582.jpeg
    4145CCFF-1B4A-4068-8A0E-A057BA5C5582.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 10
Hey Steve, thanks for the good luck blessing but no not yet I haven’t figured out the root case of the failure, I think they were cheap Chinese bearings that came with the Kodiak brake kit that I bought at Lordco in Feb 2020. I have those Timken bearings, races, seals ordered so will swap everything out next week, I’m curious to find out if the other 2 sets of bearings are also on their way out. I also bought a spare rotor that I will assemble as a spare in case this happens again. I’m building a road towing kit with parts, pieces and tools as well, I’m not interested in getting stuck on the highway west or north of Campbell River. We were fuelling up in Hyde creek south of Port McNeill coming back on Sunday and there was a guy stranded until Tuesday behind the gas station with a toasted spindle on his boat trailer. I told him that I felt his pain.
I noticed that the Marine Lucas grease I bought says it’s for bearing use as well, I’m glad it’s multi purpose.
****** place to get stuck. Not to derail but I ran into an American one time who had been stuck on the side of the road north of Woss since the previous night with a mechanical while their tow vehicle ran back into CR for supplies. After seeing that, I’ve always carried BCAA with the RV option, in addition to a total repair kit like you’re making for roadside issues. Something else to consider.

****** place to get stuck. Not to derail but I ran into an American one time who had been stuck on the side of the road north of Woss since the previous night with a mechanical while their tow vehicle ran back into CR for supplies. After seeing that, I’ve always carried BCAA with the RV option, in addition to a total repair kit like you’re making for roadside issues. Something else to consider.
Good advice, thanks

I travel that road to Nootka a few times a year with my 228G behind me. Every year I see 2-3 trailers at the side of the road. It’s a problem because there’s no cell service once you’re outta CR till GR. I started carrying a “trailer repair kit” 10 years ago. It weighs a ton. But required. Yes, a complete hub assemble is the easiest way to deal with the problem of blown bearings. I am constantly measuring the temp of the bearings at every stop and write down the temp with a sharpie on the fender so I know next stop if the heats elevating. I also started carrying a spare leaf spring last year after seeing a few guys with broken leaf springs. That’s bolted onto the side of the trailer. I really think getting fresh water on your trailer after a dip is key to saving brakes bearings and other components. (My kit contains; a complete set up hub, leaf spring, spare bearing set, lights, ball and hitch, hitch pin, jack, jack stand, wood blocks, brake cleaning fluid, grease gun, grease, pry bar, small sledge hammer, safety flares/triangles, pipe wrench, castle nut wrench, impact wrench, set of impact sockets and disposable coveralls cause you gonna get dirty. )

Back