TR1 Gold Autopilot

Who's got one, used one, or using one ? I have a few questions about it an using it. The boat came from Sooke, BC an is being used in Nanaimo and Port Alberni. Do I have to re calibrate the unit ? If I put the unit into remote steer, then want to switch it to lock on to a heading what do I do ? I ultimately want to be able to go from me steering remotely to locking onto a heading and going in a straight line heading and then hitting a button to idle down when a fish is on and then hitting a button and resuming trolling speed :)

I have the manual actually. Lol Just saw that if I push a straight arrow an not not the bent arrows that I use while in remote steer mode that it would switch from remote steer mode and lock onto the heading. Just need to re calibrate it I guess, I was sure that I read somewhere that if you move the unit more than a 100 miles from a location that you need to re calibrate .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the manual actually. It doesn't say anywhere in it on how to go from remote steer, to locking onto a heading an going straight. That or I missed it, which could be a possibility too lol.

Just hit one of the two auto buttons on top left or right and you'll be on auto. If you hold the auto turn button until it comes around to pointing where you want the boat to go then you can let off and it's supposed to keep that heading.
The bottom left and right buttons are your manual steering. They are what I use as i have a TRdud.

Sounds like you got it figured out. Calibrating the compass is the thing I can never get too. I'm pretty sure if my Tr1 had a clock it would read 12:00, 12:00

Thanks, next time out I will try the unit as is. If it gives me trouble, I will re calibrate it :) Now that I have read more up on it, I think I have a grasp an better understanding of the unit an how it works lol. Famous last words I am sure...

I've had a couple and use 1 now
Pm me if you still need and I can give you a call
Tim

I've used a TR-1 for years and absolutely love it. It's important that the flux gate compass be installed properly and that the hydraulics are properly purged of air. Check the fittings on the kicker cylinder regularly to make sure that they are tight and you should be good to go. Happy to help you out if you have any questions. You will enjoy having the boat steer itself while you put lines out, etc.

It's been on this boat since 2005, I just ordered a new throttle control kit for it. The one on there now, the idle stop is falling off, the throttle worm gear sticks. Has a mind of its own lol.

It's been on this boat since 2005, I just ordered a new throttle control kit for it. The one on there now, the idle stop is falling off, the throttle worm gear sticks. Has a mind of its own lol.

Once or twice a year it's a good idea to give the throttle control a misting of light oil to protect it from the elements. Life can be hard under the kicker bonnet.

Another question, I just read the manual on my auto pilot. It says that you don't need to calibrate north if your autopilot isn't connected to a GPS unit. It also says specifically that compass calibration isn't mandatory. I am just wondering how the unit will react if I hit the zig zag button, don't do either of the calibrations ? I am not connected to my or any GPS units. I typically steer/control the unit, then I just want to maintain the current heading and go straight on the heading. Is there any particular way to achieve the going in a straight line on the heading ?

Another question, I just read the manual on my auto pilot. It says that you don't need to calibrate north if your autopilot isn't connected to a GPS unit. It also says specifically that compass calibration isn't mandatory. I am just wondering how the unit will react if I hit the zig zag button, don't do either of the calibrations ? I am not connected to my or any GPS units. I typically steer/control the unit, then I just want to maintain the current heading and go straight on the heading. Is there any particular way to achieve the going in a straight line on the heading ?

I'm going to sit back and watch this one too. Spent about an hour and a half at the dock trying to reset and learn. Don't think I accomplished anything. Actually calibrating the compass looks simple enough but...everything I try to do with this thing seems to have gaps in the instructions.

just remember when you make changes to program them to memory (hold select load and press and release deck mount switch)
otherwise next time you fire it up the changes will have to be made again,
and you do not need to recalibrate after moving the boat from location to location,
follow the dockside setup as laid out step by step, then the on water setup and you'll be
happy happy in half hour or less

just remember when you make changes to program them to memory (hold select load and press and release deck mount switch)
otherwise next time you fire it up the changes will have to be made again,
and you do not need to recalibrate after moving the boat from location to location

How do you know when a change has been made successfully. I played with mine quite a bit this weekend and really left thinking I'm back to square one... There's a gap in the instructions on the setup button I encountered when selecting codes. Lights going on and off and not really sure if anything is taking. Pushing deck switches and holding, setting values that should be 4 pushes to get to a max value but you get there in two. I know why I keep giving up on it... it's just too complicated.

not really, the more you play the better understanding you have of it,
if it only took you two pushes to get to max when it goes 0-4 then it was already set at two which is probably factory default.

not really, the more you play the better understanding you have of it,
if it only took you two pushes to get to max when it goes 0-4 then it was already set at two which is probably factory

Tried up and down on a seastate reset. Think from reading I've got it figured out then at the dock not so much. How about I shoot you the keys and a full tank and you do what you want with it,hand it back to me on Monday programmed. Might not compare to your usual ride but a cheap weekend.

I set my sea state to max and leave it there,
are you moored or trailered? I can probably head out with you one night after work now that we are getting into the longer daylight hours, should only take half an hour to set it all up
send me a pm and we'll set something up
Tim

Wow, that's an awsome offer Tim! The boats moored in Richmond. I don't want to put you out but could really use the lesson. I'll shoot you a pm and if we can work something in with your schedule, that would be great.

Back