Running Outboard on Flush Connection

Marley

Hi Guys

Bought some fuel stabilizer and want to run my Mercury 90 hp in the driveway to get it through the system. Is it possible to run a new outboard on the flush connection or should I be using the ear muffs on the lower unit?

My boat is on a trailer in my garage. In the winter, when I am not fishing, I run the motors with my muffs once or twice a month, for about twenty minutes to keep fresh gas moving. I do not winterize my motors. Works for me for many years.

muffs only. dont raise it above idle. flush is for motor off only.
You can raise the idle if you have a motor that allows for that, but don't the motor in gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by my yamaha dealer to use both the muffs and the flush at the same time when running the 250 on the trailer.
Interesting recommendation.
One of the problems with muffs is water pressure from the hose. If it is too strong, the impeller will spin at a higher than normal speed causing increased wear. The water pump is designed to suck in normal use. My Mercury dealer has confirmed if you were to use the flushing input you will burn out your water pump impeller. Using both will compound the problem. Always best to check with your dealer or service person for your specific motor.

The lower end of a 60 will fit inside one of those rectangular plastic storage bins. Maybe a 90? The intake vents will then be submerged. Add a cap full of Saltaway, catch the water from the tell tail in another bucket and recirc.

The lower end of a 60 will fit inside one of those rectangular plastic storage bins. Maybe a 90? The intake vents will then be submerged. Add a cap full of Saltaway, catch the water from the tell tail in another bucket and recirc.
I am going to try this. I have a big bin at home that will probably fit.

Anyone know where the best place to buy salt away is? 70 bucks on Amazon seems a bit steep.
Bought Saltaway a few times on Amazon.ca And the order was filled by False Creek Fuels in Vancouver. Can you buy from FCF directly, maybe ?

They are just whoring out the western marine catalog
Someone’s gotta do it. Steveston Marine is a gong show. West Marine is long gone… who else is around in the lower mainland? The guy with the shop in North Van is pretty good, but I hate crossing either bridge to go shopping.

On a side note, FCF prices used to be a hell of a lot better.

Back