Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

Cheers All,

I had 3 charters in Ucluelet this weekend and Sunday morning we lit it up in the fog! Guests (from Nanaimo) caught 7 fish over 30 lbs with 3 over 40 lbs and the biggest was 48 lbs along with full limits of coho to 14 lbs and one halibut to add to the mix. This gentleman fishes lots (has his own boat) and it was his best day ever - in fact he had never ever heard of such a catch let alone imaging himself on the trip of a lifetime. Suffice it to say that it was also one of my highlights. I can assure you that several of the other boats on the dock were having cervical problems when they snapped their heads around to witness the parade to the scales. Especially when many of the boats came back with few or small fish.

I will post some pictures if the guest is comfortable and I have a moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers All,

I had 3 charters in Ucluelet this weekend and Sunday morning we lit it up in the fog! Guests (from Nanaimo) caught 7 fish over 30 lbs with 3 over 40 lbs and the biggest was 48 lbs along with full limits of coho to 14 lbs and one halibut to add to the mix. This gentleman fish lots and it was his best day ever - in fact he had never ever heard of such a catch let alone imaging himself on the trip of a lifetime. Suffice it to say that it was also one of my highlights. I can assure you that several of the other boats on the dock were having cervical problems when they snapped their heads around to witness the parade to the scales. Especially when many of the boats came back with few or small fish.

I will post some pictures if the guest is comfortable and I have a moment.

wow - where did you fish and what was the bait of choice?

Cheers All,

I will - at the risk of saying for the upteenth time - post pictures ONLY if my guests are fine with my doing so. Some are and some aren't and it isn't for me to say. I respect their rights to make that determination. It's called 'Being Professional'. So..."West Coast Muse" you may say what you will but you don't pay my charters my clients do and, as such, I take my direction from them. My guests this weekend are on their 3 charter with me this summer so they must find that I am doing something correct and that includes listening to their wishes. :)

Heading back to Ucluelet on the long weekend for last trip to this West Coast this year as halibut are closing. :(

Doing charters for a weekend and showing up all the local guides.... Hmmm good fisherman or good story teller? Crop the faces out of the pics and it would certainly remove the doubt.

Doing charters for a weekend and showing up all the local guides.... Hmmm good fisherman or good story teller? Crop the faces out of the pics and it would certainly remove the doubt.

Good post Kelly. Pretty easy to do if one did take some pictures. I was all on board until the cervical comment. Why dig a deeper hole than you have too:rolleyes:.

or taking pics of just the fish? I mean if it was my business iw ould want pics like that for my website.

In case I need a few lessons i thought I would go to the website...its not working, probably too much business put it off line,

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.comSFI Certified Tidal Angling Guide
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
West Coast Fishing Guides Association

Cheers All,

I will - at the risk of saying for the upteenth time - post pictures ONLY if my guests are fine with my doing so. Some are and some aren't and it isn't for me to say. I respect their rights to make that determination. It's called 'Being Professional'. So..."West Coast Muse" you may say what you will but you don't pay my charters my clients do and, as such, I take my direction from them. My guests this weekend are on their 3 charter with me this summer so they must find that I am doing something correct and that includes listening to their wishes. :)

Heading back to Ucluelet on the long weekend for last trip to this West Coast this year as halibut are closing. :(

Wow and I was concerned about keeping my own ego in check ..... I think I am doing ok now- lol . Amazing .....was that cervical comment for real or is Fishing Guide just pulling our leg ? ?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime....or at least that's my excuse. Guess I need to sign up for the how to catch salmon clinic.

The "problem" with posting pics like that is that is very much the exception rather than the rule and, by posting pictures like that, one has the distinct problem of fullfilling those expectations. My charter on Sunday afternoon - another well known businessman from Nanaimo - was waiting for his charter and saw all the fish being offloaded - exactly what I did NOT wish to occur. Yes...in the afternoon we caught 2 'decent' springs in the high 20's along with 4 nice coho. Was the client happy with his fish? If he had not seen the bananza from the morning he probably would have but having witnessed 'what might have been' he was feeling a bit short changed.

The same goes for posting pictures of "HOGS" on one's web site: guests expect that as the "Norm" and are very much feeling short changed if that does not occur. Since I do MOST of my guiding on the east side of the island where days of fishing like that are practically non-existant, I actually do myself an injustice by posting such so I stick to posting pictures that guests might encounter on a routine charter rather than trips of a lifetime.

As for having necks turned it did occur even to the extent the local guides were feeling a bit 'under the gun' as their guests pointed out what that was what they expected on their trip. Was that my intention? Not in the least however they needed to be offloaded and they needed to be transferred to the clients coolers. And if you had seen that procession down the dock you too would have done a double-take. I was thrilled for my guests as they received the attention for their fishing efforts by the guests on the dock and the pub. That simply added to their experience and, at the risk of stating the obvious, they are meeting this week to plan another trip this fall along with several next year. Job well done. :) As I had another charter to head out on I did not stay long (after all it was their time in the spotlight) but I did hear at least several visiting fisherman (who had done double takes on the procession) asking the obvious: where? how deep? how fast?

This was not my first trip to Ucluelet as over the past 25 years I have fished there on many occasions including 7 multiple day trips this summer. In fact I did have another great day earlier this year where a very good guide friend of mine (one of the top guides in Ucluelet) went the entire day without boating a fish while our vessel limited out. The owner of his boat (a good friend of mine) and I went out the next day and limited out on springs/coho to provide the guest for their return home. So...while it was a trip of a lifetime - through a combination of luck and skill - I have had enough experience in the area to know my way around both inshore and offshore and suggest it was not all luck.

To suggest that this my post is simply a 'story' or that I was simply 'lucky' of a 'weekend warrior' fails to recognize the extent of my fishing those waters or the signifcance of 'being in the right place at the right time'. I could go into detail why we were fishing where we were (these guests had fished with me Saturday and, while we did catch limits they were not even close to those on their Sunday fish) but that is not the issue. The issue is we had a Trip of a LIFETIME and you need to see proof. Glad I didn't mention is was windy too! ;)

As for 'cropping' faces or details one can only wonder where you are coming from. Either guests provide permission or they don't - there is NO middle ground. To go against their wishes shows a decided lack of professionalism (along with some legal questions that I will avoid) and would be very determental to one's ability to grow a business. I ask for permission and if they provide it I post pictures and if they don't the pictures remain private. End of story. And if I have to explain that then you have more problems than doubt.

As for showing up other guides - every guide strives to do his or her best and they will have good days and less than good days. That also is the nature of the business. A strange point of this posting is that one of the top guides in Ucluelet stopped in the fog to watch us land a 33 lbs then proceeded further out where he landed three average fish. We chatted this morning about the encounter and he stated that he felt further out would have been more successful...he made his choice...and he did put his clients into fish simply not to the same size or number as we were able to boat.

I will be seeing my client on Wednesday as he is a very successful building contractor in Nanaimo who is putting up a new garage along with a new cleaning station at my home. I will ask for his permission to post pictures of his fish along with those of his family, staff and friend. If he provides that permission I will post the pictures and, if he doesn't (he is a member of this Forum), I will ask if he would comment on the trip in this Forum. That is the best I can do and if lack of posting means you 'think it's a story' then there is nothing I can do (or am interested in doing) to convince you otherwise as my energy is better suited to catching fish.

However I will ensure that I no longer post any results unless I have pictures (and the permission to post) as it obviously is an issue with some members. Good to know.

if i had to explain myself on almost everything i post , right or wrong ,
I'd rethink what i put out there , you really shoot urself in the foot dude ,
if i was apossible future client looking for a Charter , seen ur posts , id laugh at ya ,

cant be good for ur Buis , im not sure if you really know how many people really read these posts , i have a few guide friends up and down WCVI,
and i know for a fact , they would kick ur butt on a daily basis , its there YARD , be carefull what ya post , might find urself looking for assistance out there one day......know what im Sayun

later

FD

Was it a full moon yesterday? or did someone just p*ss in everyone's cornflakes ????? Ease up boys, its just a forum.

Was it a full moon yesterday? or did someone just p*ss in everyone's cornflakes ????? Ease up boys, its just a forum.

This is a free speech discussion board so we are all allowed our comments and opinions (within the forum gudlines of course).....but Yeah I think FGuide in a way did kind of "p*ss in someone's cornflakes" of one or more Ukee boys - I don't see a full moon anyway.

I don't disbelieve FG, in fact congrats on a great catch, no matter how big.....but just a comment: I like to see a more modest and positive approach myself - that's professional. Comparing/discussing and putting down others apparent smaller/lesser catch that day is not very professional IMHO ( It will also come back to haunt him next time back at the dock with smaller/lesser).

This is about professional ediquette for me, little to do with not proving a catch with photos. Of course he doesn't have to publish the photos ( certainly not faces of guests if they have asked him not to). Writing the way FG did however is far more likely to get others to be demanding of photos to prove the bragging and comparing.....

Remember though that this forum has an edit text feature which can be a wonderfull friend at times . I always read my text first before I send, just to make sure I am not pi**ing in anyones cornflakes. ( I am sure I have failed occassionally though-lol)

Back