Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

Maybe you will have to book a charter with fishing guide to get the scoop

Simple

Stories like that need pictures. Fishing guide had made claim in 2009 on the killfish forum that he caught 4 tyee springs in Nanaimo in one day...but no pictures back then either. I remember 2009 and everyone was catching springs (avg 15 lbs it seemed, some mid 20's) - very seldom tyees caught, especially 4 in one day in Nanaimo. Gotta post em.

Ok so I'll attempt to "lighten the mood" with a much less impressive Ukee fishing report.

Hopefully only pixxing in my own cornflakes.

So a couple of weeks ago my family and I were in Ukee to enjoy some fishing and surfing. First couple of days were decent for us and I managed to get the wife and kids into a few nice springs along outer south bank. We also had some good coho action behind chrow island which the kids enjoyed. Cool to see them really starting to want to do everything now (run the gear, bonk and bleed fish etc.).

Then our third day out was reaalllly sloooww! My boys and I trolled about six miles across lighthouse bank towards sw corner and then headed south to where we had picked up fish the first two days. I can't remember exactly but I think we released a couple of shakers a couple of coho over the morning fish. Decided to head behind chrow and give the kids some more coho action but nothing.

I then noticed I was getting an electrical shock every time I put my hand on the back of my aluminum boat deck to lean over and adjust the kicker speed. Shut kicker off and trolled with main and boards a couple of fish right away. Headed to the dock and found a short on my kicker motor coming from the kill switch wire.

How likely is it that the electrical short was at least partially (I will take the blame for the rest) responsible for our poor results that day? I run an Aluminum boat and steel DR cables.

Sorry no pics as my kids did not give me the approval to post the photos of our two coho.

I dont care who you are, but that is damn funny!

Not really..........
emo-coffee.gif

Thinking about heading back over to Ukee or Tofino for the Long weekend.
Yes, BC Ferries is thanking me for bringing their revenue up.

Haven't seen any recent reports. Springs still around?

Offshore still good but not Red Hot...some guys have even started to drag some bait again

Big tides right now have probable effect on the bite.

Still good sized Springs and Coho offshore and big Coho inshore. Halibut still good and should be very good right when it shuts down.

J.

Just got back from 4 days in Uke. Mixed report sums it up.

Launched the boat late Sunday evening--got two hours of fishing time in just outside the harbor in pea-soup fog. Stumbled in to a really nice mid-20 spring at Eagles Nest--it was so foggy all I could hear was the splash of its jumps but never saw the fish until I got it along side the boat. I turned it loose, thinking---when it happens that fast, it's going to be a lights-out trip...

The next day, calm seas, no fog, I steam out to Turtle Head full of anticipation and start working the south edge where I had lights out fishing last August. A skinny coho at first light then after that, not even a sniff. No bait. No wales. No birds. No nothing. Went back in along the surf line and fished Wya back to the lighthouse--- nada.

Slunk back in to Uke. From what I saw at the fish cleaning table, I knew right away I'd made a tactical blunder and should have joined the party at SW Corner.

The next day, a crumby weather outlook kept me inside. Decided to try Effingham/Austin to wait and see what the weather would do---was pleasantly surprised to have good solid fishing for two tide changes. Kept 2 mid-20's fish, turned loose 5 or 6 teeners---better fishing then I had expected; a bit of pay-back for getting my butt handed to me the day before.

Wednesday the outlook at first light sounded crumby ---I don't have enough Uke experience to read between the lines when I hear an outlook of:

"25 - 35 knot winds, somewhat lighter in the the inshore region of Tofino" Maybe some of you can give me the between the lines translation of what that means?

Anyway, I go out of my way to avoid adventure these days so I decided to go back to Effingham and wait to see what the weather did. Another pleasant surprise---good solid fishing in the morning, then very consistent on the afternoon flood; another half-dozen low to mid-20's springers---no other boats, had a really beautiful place all to myself. It was tough to leave --humpies doing full breach jumps, steady fishing, warm sun. My Poppa he told me--Son, don't run away from fish....even if they're a bit on the small side

But it was real tough going back to Uke and seeing the steady procession of mid-30's coming off the boats that had gone to the SW Corner. And I heard the wind dropped off and it was flat calm by late afternoon.....

So, what do you do, take a weather outlook and give it a 40 percent discount then bust your move?

So Thursday was last day of the trip and weather be damned, I blasted out to the SW Corner. Three springs on the first 3 drops; low to mid 20's--turned them loose waiting for the real bag of groceries.

Well, it never happened. Covered a pile of water for several hours at SWC and Starfish-- coho everywhere, both wild and fin-clipped, couldn't stay away from them. Went deep to get away from them. More coho. Finally banged two teener springs at Starfish but had to bang my head against a whole lot of water for not too much. What's up with that?

A bit disappointing after last year's trip. I try to convince myself that lights-out fishing is boring, that sometimes it's more rewarding to work for them.

Give me back the lights out fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran up from Bamfield to the SW Corner on Saturday. Couldn't keep the wild coho off. Probably caught and released 20 of them. Some were very large as well. Managed 2 springs to the boat. 10-12 pounds. Kept a couple hatchery coho and a couple pinks for the smoker. Fished the wreck and only managed a few shakers. On the run back to Bamfield, stopped for some hali. Ended up with a 47 and a couple 20s in the boat.

Sunday made the run from Bamfield down to Swiftsure. Limited on chinook to 20lbs in about 3 hours between the 3 of us. Chucked back a few up to 15 lbs. Was trying for a big one, but it wasn't to be. Ended the salmon fishing with me and the wife in to a double header of 15 lb chinooks. I think I got her hooked on fishing now. That was her first time out. A couple more hatchey coho as well. Found the fishing better in Swiftsure than up at the SW Corner. Stopped for more hali on the way home and get a 54 and 33. Was a really fun day. Can't wait to go back out.

Fished Saturday and Sunday out of Ukee.

Began the day Saturday at the SW corner, lots of boats around and huge schools of bait that would make the rods bounce like crazy, it was fun to see!

Bite was good, but nothing big - a lot of coho with some pinks and a few smaller springs in between. After a couple of hours we pulled the lines and headed for the Starfish. Only one or two other boats around in the area where we were, but the bite was on, and the fish were bigger. Smallest fish kept was 18 lb, biggest was 29 lb.

Played a wild coho that must have weighed at least 20 lbs - it was so big and feisty that in all the excitement we nearly bonked it, assuming it was a spring. Fortunately we noticed in time, and it swam away unharmed. Beautiful fish!

Fished mostly Tomic spoons - #780 was the best producer. No flasher. 60-100 feet on the rigger. These fish seem to be real speedsters - I noticed that most hits occurred when we we going 4.7 mph on the gps. Weather was great.

Sunday we headed back to the Starfish with great expectations, but it turned out to be a much tougher day of fishing for us. There were lots of boats there, including many Ukee guide boats. Landed a nice fish almost immediately, but that was it. The fish were there, but we just could not bring them to the boat. Had numerous big hits, and played fish that made some exciting runs, but somehow they kept spitting the hook before we could get them to the boat.

Ran back to the SW corner and it seemed pretty dead, but when we switched to hootchies and flashers, the bite was on again - although it was the same smaller size fish we had encountered there the day before - had a few double headers too. Even with the flashers, it seemed that speed was the key to trigger the bites - we had to go almost 4 mph. Most hits at 60 ft on the rigger. Headed in at around 2 PM when the conditions turned a bit sloppy and the fog rolled in.

Most guys at the dock complained that Sunday was tough, but there were some pretty excited WA guys at the cleaning dock - they had a 152 lb halibut, that they said was caught right outside, at the red can - huge fish!

Too bad that the halibut fishing is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Injured sea lion captured for treatment
Postmedia News
Published: Friday, September 02, 2011
A joint effort by the Vancouver Aquarium and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) resulted in the successful capture of a California sea lion that appears to have swallowed a fishing lure.
On Sunday, Aug. 21, Ucluelet RCMP arrived at the Island West Resort to find the animal stationed on the rocks of a nearby breakwater, and after contacting the DFO's Marine Mammal Stranding Response Network forwarded photos of the sea lion to one of the department's veterinarians.

© Cowichan Valley Citizen 2011

Great Report

thx

heading over ta the trailer for a few days , hopin ta find a few pockets of fish ,
Good reports outta swiftsure too ,

later

fd

Fished Saturday and Sunday out of Ukee.

Began the day Saturday at the SW corner, lots of boats around and huge schools of bait that would make the rods bounce like crazy, it was fun to see!

Bite was good, but nothing big - a lot of coho with some pinks and a few smaller springs in between. After a couple of hours we pulled the lines and headed for the Starfish. Only one or two other boats around in the area where we were, but the bite was on, and the fish were bigger. Smallest fish kept was 18 lb, biggest was 29 lb.

Played a wild coho that must have weighed at least 20 lbs - it was so big and feisty that in all the excitement we nearly bonked it, assuming it was a spring. Fortunately we noticed in time, and it swam away unharmed. Beautiful fish!

Fished mostly Tomic spoons - #780 was the best producer. No flasher. 60-100 feet on the rigger. These fish seem to be real speedsters - I noticed that most hits occurred when we we going 4.7 mph on the gps. Weather was great.

Sunday we headed back to the Starfish with great expectations, but it turned out to be a much tougher day of fishing for us. There were lots of boats there, including many Ukee guide boats. Landed a nice fish almost immediately, but that was it. The fish were there, but we just could not bring them to the boat. Had numerous big hits, and played fish that made some exciting runs, but somehow they kept spitting the hook before we could get them to the boat.

Ran back to the SW corner and it seemed pretty dead, but when we switched to hootchies and flashers, the bite was on again - although it was the same smaller size fish we had encountered there the day before - had a few double headers too. Even with the flashers, it seemed that speed was the key to trigger the bites - we had to go almost 4 mph. Most hits at 60 ft on the rigger. Headed in at around 2 PM when the conditions turned a bit sloppy and the fog rolled in.

Most guys at the dock complained that Sunday was tough, but there were some pretty excited WA guys at the cleaning dock - they had a 152 lb halibut, that they said was caught right outside, at the red can - huge fish!

Too bad that the halibut fishing is over.

Banner Sport Fishing continues despite Recreational Halibut Fishing Closure.

With Recreational Halibut Fishing on the B.C. Coast now closed earlier than ever, we are fortunate to still be seeing peak season numbers of Chinook and Coho Salmon in the Tofino area. The forecasted numbers of Salmon feeding and traveling past Tofino’s outer coastline have met or exceeded predictions for most of the season, with many anglers considering the Saltwater Sport fishing action near Tofino possibly hitting an all time high. We thought the overall numbers and consistent action last year might set the threshold as “best overall”, but I suppose this can be chalked up to another fun lesson learned!
With an absolutely amazing Chinook Salmon Fishery that continually strengthened as the season progressed, and inshore action for big Coho Salmon busting through Kelp beds and bait schools to hit flies and light tackle like freight trains, the action has been very memorable to say the least! Hearing stories of 30-40 salmon caught and released in a morning of fishing is outstanding, and even better when the weather is calm like a lake and sunscreen and sunglasses are almost as mandatory as your personal fishing license.

In the Tofino area, we often find the crazy Salmon action from August rolls right through most of September, providing great weather, great fishing and great value with shoulder season rates often kicking in to effect by mid month for many local businesses. The offshore waters continue to provide a Chinook fishery that provides multiple encounters of these “King of Salmon”, many of “Tyee” proportion. Mix that in with 10 to 20 Coho Salmon during the same fishing trip and you end up staying very busy with a bent fishing rod in hand. Without a doubt, September is the prime month for the season’s largest Coho Salmon and is a favoured Saltwater fishery that many anticipate all year. The largest Coho, also known as “Northerns” are distinguishable by their large hooked nose or “Kype” that develops with maturity. Pound for pound, these prize fighting salmon are considered the strongest and best sport for anglers along the B.C coast. Don’t rule out the month of October as well for these amazingly powerful Coho that can reach and even exceed 20 lbs, with many in the 12-16 lb class.

For late season Bottom fishing opportunities, September is also a very popular time for local anglers and guides who travel to outer coastline and offshore reefs in search of various types of bottom dwellers that include Ling Cod, numerous Rockfish species and Cabazon. Halibut are normally very prolific in these same areas as well, but the recent decision by DFO to restrict any further Halibut retention creates a total catch and release scenario for this popular and abundant species. Halibut numbers and average sizes have been outstanding this year compared to recent years. The very poor management actions and related decision to close this fishery by the Department of Fisheries , is not very well received or supported by recreational anglers as well as the general public, once they learn more about this issue. Hopefully a better management plan will be in place for 2012.

While many B.C. coastal fishing destinations and lodges have “wrapped up” for another season, Tofino Fishing opportunities will continue to provide some of the most reliable and exciting fishing action available anywhere on the B.C. coast. Contact Clayoquot Ventures Tofino Fishing to help with the right information and guided options for your next memorable late season fishing experience.
Contact us at 1-888-534-7422 or hook up online at www.tofinofishing.com

Three Tyees to my Most Excellent Wing Man's (Dirt Dawg) boat yesterday!! :D
The season is still VERY much Alive!
And Spirit Bear's doors are still very much OPEN!!
Little traffic out there, many have wandered on to other things! They are actually missing some of the finest fishing of the season!!
Right back at it myself TODAY!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Three Tyees to my Most Excellent Wing Man's (Dirt Dawg) boat yesterday!! :D
The season is still VERY much Alive!
And Spirit Bear's doors are still very much OPEN!!
Little traffic out there, many have wandered on to other things! They are actually missing some of the finest fishing of the season!!
Right back at it myself TODAY!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Right you are Nog!! More people should be experiencing this action that continues to stay in peak season form!!! Am speaking to media today to try and get the positive word out.....

J.

Could be the recent shaker but likely more due to tides that the bite over the last few days has become very limited to tide change times, likely more so than we have seen since the early spring...
I can see this offshore with Chinook numbers starting to thin out, but even Coho on the inside. Watching schools of Coho swim past and on the sonar and not very aggresive right now.

Many of the Chinook still chomping offshore are Tyees though, which is not too hard to take. Blue Herring behind a Flasher seems to be the ticket for many at 45-80 feet Heison, Nose - Knuckle area.

It'll get good again after the big moon....

J.

Hope u are correct on the new moon J. Fishing has thinned out for sure. Still a few in Barkley Sound if you want to head in that direction from Ucluelet, which is where I was fishing in last few days while listening to my buds fishing off shore counting bites they had. Ugly situation from prior action packed adventure days off shore.

Back