Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

Having spent two days with Matt of Spirit Bear slaying fish, finally a new memory to add to the gray matter. Have never had a humpy follow a hooked spring up to the boat. Definelly a heart starter in the morning.

whale1.jpg

whale2.jpg

Friends thinking of coming to Ucluelet this coming weekend..wondering if the springs will still be around on the offshore banks - given the rain/weather change these past few days...??
thanks...

easy

Today limited for springs.
Coho a little more difficult. Only 2 of about 20(?) clipped out there today.
Troll in the top 20 ft and it was coho after coho.
Some taking plugs before getting into the clip.

Managed to get a hotel room, headed over this weekend! Any tip for the ukee noobie? Also looking to keep the boat on the water for 3 day any suggestions on moorage?

thanks, Daniel

Today limited for springs.
Coho a little more difficult. Only 2 of about 20(?) clipped out there today.
Troll in the top 20 ft and it was coho after coho.
Some taking plugs before getting into the clip.

thanks for the update. Where did you limit for springs? Friends fished last weekend out at "The Wreck". Just wondering if they've moved from there..?

The Wreck

Yesterday We started about 2 miles short of the wreck, and fished to about a mile past. Then worked back towards Ukee and hit fish to about 5 miles inside the Wreck before pulling the gear up when we hit our limit, heading was more toward Tofino. There were less coho the further from the wreck.

Today started 4 miles short of the wreck and fished to a mile past. First Spring on just as we got the last rod down. (took more time than yesterday when we hit a fish before we got it in the clip!).
Today we ended up with 7 springs, one short. Lost several at the boat. Have to work on our netting technique.

Coho were everywhere, but really concentrated in the top 40 feet.

About 10:30 this morning the springs disappeared, at least fom our gear/location. Coho continued non-stop, but we didn't hit any springs after that.

What a beautiful morning on the water. Flat & warm, and lots of spings (until 10:30).

Today we ran only large plugs and Wonder spoons early, but it didn't deter the Coho. Pilchard patterns.
Threw out a Money hootchie after an hour without springs. It go Coho'd after being down less than a minute. Back out, another Coho in less than 5 minutes, so we took it off again and went back to the Plug. Largest Coho today was 14lbs ! Thought it was a spring until we had it in the net.

3 other boats to the dock while we were cleaning fish. Only 2 springs over the 3 boats. Didn't ask but I think they may have been running bait. We saw a LOT of coho landed on Bait/flasher and/or small spoons around us this morning.

The charter fleet leaves the dock between 5:30 and 6. Just follow the white lights.
There were a LOT of boats out there. Tried to count all the boats in view, lost count at 60, and they stretched out as far as I could see. Charter boats I recognized from Ukee, Tofino & Bamfield were all there.

Good luck!

thanks for the update. Where did you limit for springs? Friends fished last weekend out at "The Wreck". Just wondering if they've moved from there..?

The Wales surfaced in the middle of the fleet yesterday and today.
Amazing to watch.

Amazing.

The Wales surfaced in the middle of the fleet yesterday and today.
Amazing to watch.

Amazing.

The Royal Family was out salmon fishing?

Cool.

Take care.

Yesterday We started about 2 miles short of the wreck, and fished to about a mile past. Then worked back towards Ukee and hit fish to about 5 miles inside the Wreck before pulling the gear up when we hit our limit, heading was more toward Tofino. There were less coho the further from the wreck.

Today started 4 miles short of the wreck and fished to a mile past. First Spring on just as we got the last rod down. (took more time than yesterday when we hit a fish before we got it in the clip!).
Today we ended up with 7 springs, one short. Lost several at the boat. Have to work on our netting technique.

Coho were everywhere, but really concentrated in the top 40 feet.

About 10:30 this morning the springs disappeared, at least fom our gear/location. Coho continued non-stop, but we didn't hit any springs after that.

What a beautiful morning on the water. Flat & warm, and lots of spings (until 10:30).

Today we ran only large plugs and Wonder spoons early, but it didn't deter the Coho. Pilchard patterns.
Threw out a Money hootchie after an hour without springs. It go Coho'd after being down less than a minute. Back out, another Coho in less than 5 minutes, so we took it off again and went back to the Plug. Largest Coho today was 14lbs ! Thought it was a spring until we had it in the net.

3 other boats to the dock while we were cleaning fish. Only 2 springs over the 3 boats. Didn't ask but I think they may have been running bait. We saw a LOT of coho landed on Bait/flasher and/or small spoons around us this morning.

The charter fleet leaves the dock between 5:30 and 6. Just follow the white lights.
There were a LOT of boats out there. Tried to count all the boats in view, lost count at 60, and they stretched out as far as I could see. Charter boats I recognized from Ukee, Tofino & Bamfield were all there.

Good luck!

Thanks J-GLOBAL for sharing - appreciate the info!

The weather looks great for the weekend:p. Might have to make it a long weekend and take Monday off work!!!

Oh I can't wait to get back out there. Heard a few good reports today that the catching is still great!!!!!!

Limited out yesterday afternoon in 40 mins on fish from 23 to 31 lbs

YOWZA!!

Fished the Wreck on Weds..boat 7 springs biggest was 26lbs & 8 clipped Coho...very nice day out there...sorry I missed you out the Fishtoffino..pretty sure you had a few chuckle with your crew on board... :)

It was a lot slow for my buddy who was out there yesterday

Fished the Wreck on Weds..boat 7 springs biggest was 26lbs & 8 clipped Coho...very nice day out there...sorry I missed you out the Fishtoffino..pretty sure you had a few chuckle with your crew on board... :)

It was a lot slow for my buddy who was out there yesterday

It was slow for a buddy of mine yesterday as well as of 9:00 am at the Wreck; he usually does exceptionally well.

H.E.H.

Fished the weekend with my son/first mate Jake and my buddy. It was Jakes first trip out on the Sculpin since the overhaul. Fished Saturday and was a gorgeus day out there. We were informed that we missed the early bite and it was really hot earlier :D.

We still managed a few fish and Jake out fished both us old guys and had a great day!

A 26 lber.
IMG_1497.jpg

and a 29 lber.
IMG_1500.jpg

Fished plugs all day with the 602 tubby being the hottest. All around 47 to 60 feet deep.

IMG_1503.jpg

Jigged for hali's as well and picked up a couple of chickens.

Sunday was a grind to get out in the fog and swell. Jake didn't feel very well and slept through most of the fishing. My buddy caught a 28 lber on a regular 602 at 60 feet and lost a couple of other nice fish. We caught and released a half dozen wild coho as well. Only fished for about 2.5 hours and headed in early.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back