Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

Yesterday PM was hard to get many Coho to bite inshore, with a very strong Ebb tide and dropping barometer. Marked fish and bait on the screen, most but not all had lock jaw. Piles of outgoing Eel grass and kelp balls made it interesting as well.
Offshore this A.M. was a different story, with very consistent Chinook Fishing. Many in the mid to high Twenties and a mix of quality Feeders that were high teens to low twenties as well. Most fishing bait near Heisen, Nose and Knuckle.
Lots of Whales..

Rain coming for most of the week so that may factor some change again, but that is how it goes this time of year.

Charters available.

Hey Guys, Any reports for inshore coho from the weekend?? I'll be there on tuesday for a few days.... wow the weather looks *****...tofinofish? or fishtofino? anyone? Got lots of flies tied....Thanks guys

Hi Bub
I fished them hard all day Saterday. They were hard to find but once we did they co-operated marvelously. We went 8 for 20 or so all really big and sassy. They definately wanted chartrouse flies and they wanted them moving quick. They are big and aggressive and won't be around long. Tight in to the kelp beds a little closer in. We fished outer islands like Blunden and not a sniff. They were puking up live needlefish like crazy about 4 inches long. You find them you'll get them. Have fun and good luck. Best bite was 2 hours before and after high tide.
Riverbandit

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, Any reports for inshore coho from the weekend?? I'll be there on tuesday for a few days.... wow the weather looks *****...tofinofish? or fishtofino? anyone? Got lots of flies tied....Thanks guys

Our inshore boat and a couple offshore boats fished yesterday A.M. and was good for large average. Big clean fish that should be here for a while yet. Not sure of location or gear specifics to share right now. Stop in at the shop for updates.

The only option has been Inshore Coho fishing, which has been pretty consistent considering the conditions the past 6 days...Today is the first cancellation due to weather extremes.
9 out of 10 Coho are chromers and I was surprised to see how many were plugged with big Humpback Shrimp as opposed to common Needlefish. Tiger prawn hoochie maybe.....(;
Catface bar, Monk and Moser pt areas providing good action. Many Coho hitting hard and short, so hook and land ratio was slightly lower than normal.

Looking forward to Bub's report as well.

Hey guys. I only got out on tues for a cpl hrs. It was slow.....I tried all the good spots that were mentioned. Some hook ups but the wind was nasty!!! It's hard having to check for eel grass and steer the boat by myself in that kind of weather!! hats off to guides that do it all day long! Only landed one small jack. One other boat outhere fishin with me was havin a rough go too.... this was at catface bar.
No bait on the bar??? last month I could usually find bait and throw a needle fish pattern and bang!!! Then again didn't fish the tides.... Thanks again for all the tips!!! I sure love that fishery!!!!! cheers

Thanks for the report bub. I checked the weather report and figured you would have a bit of a tough go. Good for you for trying though.
I hear ya on the enjoyment of the fishery. When its on its like crack cocaine its so addictive!! Should be illegal it's so much fun! Lol.
I have a lot of respect for the guides to. I thought of them as I removed the thousandth piece of eelgrass from my fly. Got home that night and layed in bed and closed my eyes and suddenly realized I was still slowly moving about 12ft uuuuuup and downnnnnn, up and down. I am hoping to head over for one more go at it weather permitting. Thanks for the update as well J.
Cheers

Might shoot for Tuna tomorrow and wait for a few more Coho to arrive. Not quite over....

25-30 miles. One of my boats had good Coho action late in the day yesterday so might be our plan though the Tuna is looking good...Swell is supposed to drop as the day goes on...

Due to other work today we got away later than planned and didn't shoot offshore for Tuna.
Good bottomfish action North of Tofino for some nice Lings, Coppers and Cabezon. Headed inside for the high slack and start of the ebb for good Coho action. Kept 4 and released 4 with another 3-4 LDR's in approx 2 hours.
All chrome 8-12 lbs and plugged with shrimp, so not over yet.

Great to hear there is still some action to be had! Is the inside a bucktail show or are spoons etc. OK too?

Sorry I missed your last question there Muttley...Inside was the only option for quite a stretch there. Coho were moving fast with some trips seeing 4-6 fish while the next day/tides you would see a dozen or more. All stayed nice and bright but wouldn't come up to Bucktails unfortunatley. Too much crap on the surface from storm systems on many days anyhow. The weather has been beating us for the most part lately, but a really sweet stretch right now has provided some offshore time.

Excellent Offshore Fishing action mid October

What a sweet stretch of fall weather..I had to turn down another day of fall boat maintenance and storage work to do a charter yesterday with a great young couple from Alberta....tough decision!

Traveled past our normal inshore haunts and saw a couple Coho jumpers and birds working, man it was tempting to stop but when the offshore forecast is 4-6 knts and 2 meters at 12 seconds I had to get out there. Neither of my guests had ever fished the Saltwater so I thought a great way for them to cut their teeth would be to hook into great numbers and variety of bottomfish, with thoughts of Feeder Chinook still on the back burner for later in the trip.

After travelling 30 minutes from the harbour, we dropped in on the first reef approx. 1 mile offshore. I was showing my newbie guest the drill on freespool with the levelwind to drop, how to hold the rod, jig techniques etc. and the first drop didn't even make it to the bottom 70 feet away. I handed the rod off for to him for his first fish of the day that bent him over a few times and I know he really wasn't expecting the first fish to bark line out like that....After a few minutes we released the first Ling Cod that was probably right on the 20 lb mark. After another 15 minutes and handful of rockfish later, I was leaning over the gunwale to help him release a 4 lb. Silvergrey Rockfish when I saw a shadow below the boat that I was surprised it actually took this long to see...I told him to stop reeling and slowly look over the edge. After he had his first look at the huge Ling Cod that was pushing the mid to high 40's, I thought I might have to turn on the deck hose and clean up what what starting to run down his pant leg,,,lol,,,
I knew we weren't planning on keeping this predatory beast who was on the reef to spawn, so we watched the action for a while before pulling the cod away from her right at the surface. I got soaked and the Rockfish was scared to death, literally....
This kind of fun lasted for a while longer, and my guests were feeling good sea legs and experienced enough after 20 -30 fish to head out a little further to another reef for a change of scenery. The move was worth the short run out as the lings were on fire, and the Snapper we caught were huge on average. Fishing shallow enough that the release was survival was excellent for the big Yellow-eye.
We fished in the sun and light swell and breeze for a few more hours while porpoises and diving birds hung close to the boat, we managed to pick out a limit of tasty bottomfish, while releasing many during the day. Though the condictions were more than favourable for Salmon fishing, the crew was very content with all that had happened so far, and ready for a late lunch in Tofino.
Back to the boat work this A.M., but with the forecast looking the same for the week ahead, I think I will be back out there for one last trip before heading north with my son for our annual hunt...

Attachments

• PA140316 - Copy.JPG
    PA140316 - Copy.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 102
  • PA140321 - Copy.JPG
    PA140321 - Copy.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 95
  • PA140325 - Copy.JPG
    PA140325 - Copy.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 94
  • PA140327 - Copy.JPG
    PA140327 - Copy.JPG